Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 'Narrow' (65mm) fat bike rims? Anyone run them?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does anyone run any of the Surly Marge/Marge-lite sized rims out of choice anymore rather than just because it’s what Pugsleys came with?

I’ve been toying with the idea of narrower rims for my Fatty trail, reason being that carbon 65mm rims can be found <500g, and recieved wisdom is that bigger rims give more float at the expense of handling, so narrower rims are better on the trail by de-facto giving the tyres a rounded profile better suited to cornering. With a Jumbo Jim that’s a lighter rim/tyre combo than some 650b+ setups!

Not sure why I wouldn’t want to drop down a rim size from the default 80mm, 4″ tyres should still give enough float in all but deep snow (which we’ve not had for a few years anyway), and proper tubeless rims with a tight bead socket would probably float better at low pressures than an 80mm rim that burps anyway.

The other alternative would be the new My Other Brother Darryl’s, 80mm but light-ish with a tubeless bead seat, or carbon 80mm rims (Light bike or Nextie), would have to see what the Surly’s price is, if it’s still £150 then carbon’s a no brainer.

Anyone tried 60-80mm rims back to back with the same tyres?

wwaswas

not switched but run 65mm LB carbon rims with 4″ tyres (Nates, FatBNimble and O-One). All have been fine running tubeless.

I ride ‘trails’ rather than beaches or snow. I find the endless grip as you lean the bike over makes it very entertaining.

trail_rat
    Free Member

this is last week and i claim my 5 pound. Same thread different day 😀

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-running-65mm-fat-bike-rims-wide-enough

nedrapier

No back to back knowledge, but I’m riding 4″ JJs on Marge Lites and enjoying it very much indeed. I think postierich off here has 4″JJs on Hugos and he seems to be enjoying himself too.

tazzymtb

tried loads of different rim widths from 100mm down, now run hugo rims with 4.8’s. much prefer it to big wider rims for trail use, bit fat rims are just a daft idea unless you need ultimate float in soft sand or snow. Got the idea from chatting to a lot of american fat bike designers and riders who use fatties all year round and find the UK MAX FAT!! approach for nice dry trails rather bemusing.

still if you want a massive monster truck for the hell of it why not? whatever floats your boat, it’s all bikes and a laugh 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

this is last week and i claim my 5 pound. Same thread different day

Flippin’ search function!

STATO
    Free Member

Flippin’ search function!

Its coming in the new forum 😀

letmetalktomark

I run MLs on my Puffin.

They happily run a Bud.

Despite being heavy and running silly ow pressures i’ve never found myself wanting a wider rim.

I run Hugos on my 650b+ bike and I would say a wider tyre, than 3.0”, would be even better as the rim flattens the tyre.

If I was buying new now I’d be looking at Hugos

trail_rat
    Free Member

use google….. its was designed to search 😀

65mm rims site:singletrackworld.co.uk

dovebiker

Gratuitous picture of my bike: 65mm Nexties

NormalMan

@tazzymtb

Third pic down, what bike is that?

dovebiker

3rd bike down is Oddity Cycles

rosscopeco
    Free Member

In the depths of winter (mud fest) I was running Marge lites with Buds front and rear.

After much reading and loads of chatting with ‘those in the know’ I opted to stay with the 65mm width on the basis that I will only ride snow or sand maybe once or twice a year / <5% of the year. I’m now on 65mm LB carbon rims and running 4.8 JJ’s. It’s not much but if you can shave even a little rolling weight it makes a profound difference to the bikes manoeuvrability.

The JJ’s and LB 65mm carbon rims saved more than a lbs per wheel…and its a difference that is very noticeable. I’m almost at the point of saying I’m getting close to being as fast if not faster on the fat than when I was on 29+. I did the 41mile man grunt loop yesterday through Queen Betty’s forest and round the north side of Ben Lomond which then spits you back on the WHW at Inversnaid then back to Balmaha…I shaved a whole 10 mins from my last loop in the 29+ and that was me doing most of it at or below aerobic threshold, other than some of the longer climbs. The fat seemed to cope with the more techy stuff much more easily…I didn’t have to get off as often to push or tip toe over certain parts…I’m once again sold on fat!

So far no issues and they went tubeless with some 3M Vinyl tape in a snap.

A photo or two…OK, if you insist!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FCvfBp]Fat![/url] by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GoK2De]Man grunt loop[/url] by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Fz6RZU]Man grunt loop[/url] by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

NormalMan

@dovebiker
    Thanks!

rosscopeco
    Free Member

I jinxed the LB rims…managed to crack one at the weekend. Awaiting feedback from LB re warranty claim… 😥

scaredypants

open pro is all you ever need
    [/]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

open pro is all you ever need
    [/]

Only available in 571mm not 559 🙁

scaredypants

ah, sorry, did I say Open Pro – I meant Ican 65mm, obvz

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘'Narrow' (65mm) fat bike rims? Anyone run them?’ is closed to new replies.