Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Nant y Arian – what bike?
  • poisonspider
    Free Member

Never been before, so is it a 100mm travel XC thang or 160mm enduro ride?

mattmbk
    Free Member

Definitely XC bike. I’ve recently ridden it on my 29er with rigid forks on and 100mm travel forks, was great with both but more fun with bounce. The ‘leg burner’ climb would be purgatory on an Enduro bike.
    I managed to get round on my cx bike, only had half a dozen or so near death experiences!

AndrewJ
    Free Member

You certainly won’t need the 160mm Enduro bike! It’s a great place to ride but nothing technical enough to warrant 160mm. Some great flowing singletrack and some remote mostly natural double track if you do the long loop.

rhid

You will be fine on either. NYA is a great trail.

When are you going as I read somewhere that the Summit trail was closing for a while.

soobalias
    Free Member

which one do you like riding.
    Ive only ridden NyA on a 160mm susser and not struggled. Its not required but when i get a weekend to go riding, i take the FS over the HT, nothing at NyA that i couldnt ride comfortably on the HT, just prefer the FS.

rhid

Plus if you get time you can always nip over to the Climachx which would be a lot of fun on a 160mm bike….

cloudnine
    Free Member

Get 2 laps in.. First go round on the xc.. Have lunch and then absolutely flat out white knuckle fast on the gnarpoon steed.
    Its all fast flowy smooth

poisonspider
    Free Member

rhid – Member
    You will be fine on either. NYA is a great trail.

When are you going as I read somewhere that the Summit trail was closing for a while.

Going this weekend to do the long route. Where did you see that it might be closed?

It was Nant y Arian on the Saturday and then Dyfi on the Sunday.

Think it might be a two bike weekend, Superlight Saturday then Capra Sunday.

mafiafish
    Free Member

XC bike for sure, Climaxx/Dyfi would still be fun on an XC bike but the Capra will let you hoon the last bit of descent. Really liked Climaxx.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Found the closure info.

Small diversion at start of trail ‘first week Nov’ then more at the end of Nov.

Should get away with it this weekend.

rhid

I remember reading on here about closures in November but that about it! I was hoping to get a full lap of the summit in before closures too but not 100% sure of the exact dates. Summit is my Christmas eve and boxing day ride too. I will have to do the Pendam twice then!

Found this on their facebook page.

The latest updates on the tree felling operations at Bwlch Nant yr Arian

Posted by Bwlch Nant Yr Arian on Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Klunk
    Free Member

seen a old guy ride down zorro on rattly old commuter with panniers and he wasn’t hanging around 🙂

CheesybeanZ

I thought Mark of Zorro was closed due to felling ?

poisonspider
    Free Member

I thought Mark of Zorro was closed due to felling ?

Where did you hear that?

chvck
    Free Member
    CheesybeanZ
    _tom_
    Free Member

I’ve only been once on my old 180mm each end Bullit with boxxers (only bike I had) and it was fine but I reckon the hardtail would be better! The climbs aren’t that bad but there’s nothing that technical you’d need the fs for.

devs
    Free Member

Done it on Nomad, 456 and Mukluk with nates. All great. Different lines for different bikes. I love the washed out LRT sections, they really keep you on your toes.

Stoner
    Free Member

I love NYA. Did a couple of laps on my SS, fully rigid. No need for anything big and bouncy. A really well laid out and made-up trail.

chrispo
    Free Member

Xc. Nothing there where lots of bounce is needed or of any help. Nearly everything will remain open during felling. Thin xc tyres can tear easily there however.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Nant y Arian – what bike?’ is closed to new replies.