Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • nant y arian – anything I should know?
  • timothecimmerian

Apparently it’s doable on a rigid singlespeed 29er :-), but is it any good? Summit trail or Syfidrin, or both?

If we’re staying near Rhyader, should we be doing something else instead?

We’re looking at doing a Elan valley / Rhyader loop day one with a warm down at Nanty on day two next week. I’ve not done anything in the area before, so want to make sure I’m making the most of the area. A natural ride and a trail centre sounds like a good combination.

On a general note, how are the trails in that neck of the woods at the moment? Have they been drying out to dusty singletrack nirvana like the North Worcs Alps?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sounds like plan. I’ve done Syfidrin, but I really liked a lap of Summit, followed by a couple more laps of the first and last bits.

Time your visit to see the Red Kites being fed while your having coffee and cake. Magic.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Everything’s drying out quite nicely (there’ll always be some standing water even in the height of summer). Nant’s great as you’ll feel like you’ve escaped the trail centre even though you’re still there … ride it on anything but a rigid 29er with drops is fine 😉

singlespeedstu

ride it on anything but a rigid 29er with drops is fine

Because it’s extra carp on a rigid dropbar 29er. 8)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahtat9Fx7uM[/video]

Mind you some of the trails around Rhayader are also carp.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fal4mY-GuU4[/video]

Northwind

Syfyfyfidrin has the best climb I’ve ever ridden on it. Also one of the most horrible, to be fair.

timothecimmerian

Cheers guys.

Nice vids Stu, which Nanty trail is that one?

flatfish
    Free Member

Think you need to tone up the bingo wings in the first video stu. 😉

singlespeedstu

No bingo wings mate.

That’s just what happens when you ride a rigid bike fast. 😉

timothecimmerian

Flatfish – harsh!! 😉

Stu, which trail at Nanty was that video from – looks like I’ll be needing to do that one!

flatfish
    Free Member

Looked like mark of zorro

takisawa2

My mates Narb’s has done it on such a beast, & he’s a mincing jey-roadie. 🙂
    He reckons it was good. If I dont get my FS built back up I’ll be on mine over there on the 15th. Being fat & gay I’ll probably stick a 1×9 on for the day though.
    I felt somewhat overbiked on my Pike forked Ventana last time. IIRC, its one of the smoothest trail centres I’ve ridden.
    Nice cafe.
    That Zorro descent is good.

Freester

nant y arian – anything I should know?

The Kites don’t get out of bed until at least Midday 🙂

fbk
    Free Member

NyA – probably my favourite “Trail centre” to ride. You get an amazing feeling of just being out there, especially in winter when the motorised brigade arent razzing round.

its one of the smoothest trail centres I’ve ridden

You need to do some of the stuff that isn’t way marked – there’s some great stuff heading North – it crosses over the southern tip of the Mach 3 trail too so potential for a pretty epic ride 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

Stu, that Golf Links route makes for a better climb than it does a downhill.

Kev

singlespeedstu

Keva.

We normaly climb it at the start of the ride then descend it at the end of the day.

BTW it’s a great fun on an enduro bike too. 😉

timothecimmerian

Went up last Friday and had a great time at Nant Yr Arian. Really liked the Syfydrin trail, although the leg burner was a bit of a killer! Loved the natural feel to the mid part of the ride, and obviously the Mark of Zorro was a highlight too. The weather played no small part, blue skies all the way.

Saturday was a bit cooler but still pleasant. The Rhayader route was good even if we did get lost at one point where the bridlepath vanished and turned into a bit of a hike a bike, dodge the bog episode…character building.

Thanks for all the advice, it’s fair to say we had a great time!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘nant y arian – anything I should know?’ is closed to new replies.