Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Nan Bield, which way?
  • Mugboo

I know this has been asked before (no doubt plenty of times!).

I've just been reading the http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/ and after reading the description of pushing up a 'rocky track' to then descend on a 'grassy track' was the best way to do it?

I have done the loop from Staveley before followed by a loop from somewhere around Sadgillish to get back but not been over Nan Bield before.

Any idea how long it takes to do Nan Bield from Stavelely or is there a better starting point?

simon1975

You won't be able to ride the short steep section between Small Water and the top of the pass in either direction – it'll be hard enough just to push up! You'll end up carrying the bike.

This is the start of the Nan Bield descent (southbound), hardly a grassy slope!

That route would be a full day out for me. 8 hours I reckon, it's tough terrain.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The ride down to small water does look exceptionally difficult but I think it's still rideable. Infact wasn't there some video footage around recently of some pro DHers riding down it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Max
    Free Member

If you've not done it before then probably best go kentmere-longsleddale-gatesgarth-haweswater-nan bield-kentmere. Then next time choose for yourself as you'll know what you're in for!

yes there was a video not so long ago of the descent of nan bield to haweswater here

For me its neither way.

Too lumpy and slow IMO. I'll concede this one to the red socks.

crazy-legs

The ride down to small water does look exceptionally difficult but I think it's still rideable. Infact wasn't there some video footage around recently of some pro DHers riding down it?

Didn't Ed Oxley and a few of the Singletrack crew ride it recently? It's not fully rideable even by Steve Peat, you might stand a chance if you're a trials god though (ie better than Hans Rey).
    I've done it downhill once and I think I rode about 10% of it, it was crap.
    It's one of those trails that you just accept is going to be an absolute bastard of a push/carry and you get on with it.

Route guide here: http://www.singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/north-west/the-south-lake-district/
    The descent off Nan Bield down towards Kentmere is well worth the carry up!

Mugboo

Cheers guys, always best to check these things as i am neither a trials god or Downhiller…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Nan Bield, which way?’ is closed to new replies.