Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Nan Bield route advice please
  • Mugboo

I’m just looking through an old thread to do myself a GPX file. Can anybody help with the best way from Staveley to Sadgill please?
    And I can see Green Quarter on the map but not HP Plantation.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Road to Kentmere stile head over toms howe and down tills hole IMHO

TBH i would park in kentmere and start there though

Steep road climb but a reasonable downhill

the BW over Staveley Head is not worth it IMHO looks good on a map but dont do it. I think it can get boggy but I only tried it once.
    Dont know the green quarter route at all

Personally I would do Harter fell – FP if you care – than drop down and hike a bike back up from Haweswater – not that great a descent [ its ok though] iirc but only done it once

The HP plantation may be the bit where you enter to go up to green Quarter
    Its obvious on the ground

Mugboo

Thanks Junkyard, I thought it was Stile Head but all those BW’s looked tempting. I’ve done Garburn with B.A.Nana years ago so I’ll ask him which way we headed back to Staveley.
    Parking wise in Kentmere, is there room for a few vans in October?

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you get there early enough there is but it does need to be early and the church has room for two or three tops.

May be better off parking in stavely and cycling out – its flat and dull- or do Garburn pass On your way 😉

Probably down the road as there is no other way really [ there is but low gnar and more climbing so probably not chosen by many after nan Bield].

When you riding it as not done it this year and tempted

Parking here

PARK HERE

Mugboo

I’m not even sure we are. We are staying at the Borrowdale YHA on 17th Oct and plan on doing the Four Passes & a.nother but I like to have lots of choices with Whinlatter as a fall back. If that works for you then give me a nudge 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

That one starts with the Garburn pass which I prefer to do afterwards as it is easier than Nan Bield but that does mane parking in Kentmere

Cannot do that weekend but enjoy it is a cracking route however much you chose to do.

as For whinlatter with all the great riding in the lakes that is like going into a brothel and asking for a kiss.

Mugboo

Thank you chaps, I’ll sort myself a GPX out. Any other good routes up there, feel free to share 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Nan Bield route advice please’ is closed to new replies.