Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Nan Bield from Troutbeck
  • crispo
    Free Member

Have ridden Nan Bield before as a loop from Staveley headed to it from Sadgill, then up gatescarth pass and across the top before dropping down the pass itself.

Was looking to do it slightly differently and though about starting at Troutbeck and heading all the way up Troutbeck valley, past the tongue and up into high street before making a right across to Nan Bield.

Any experience here of doing it that way? How’s the ride up? Doable? Is there any other better route up?

Was going to ride this Saturday so didn’t want to do too much footpath to antagonise walkers!

Thanks

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

From Troutbeck side, I’d recommend going up past Dubbs res to the top of Garburn and then going clockwise over Yoke; Ill Bell; Froswick; Nan Bield

martinhutch

There was a thread on here about Garburn then Kentmere Horseshoe (as above) to Nan Bield last week if you search for the thread. You’d certainly be better off on the ridge in terms of atmosphere, especially as Garburn involves no hike-a-bike from that side.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Yes, it’s rideable most of the way then a steep push/carry onto the top of the ridge. It has the advantage that you gain about 500 m altitude in a short distance.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Eckythump has it, a far more enjoyable ride than the bridleway up the valley. Views along the whole ridge are stunning, and some cracking bits of trail too.

crispo
    Free Member

Ever have much in the way of trouble with walkers taking the footpath along there?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I was on the ridge path on sunday and we had nothing but the usual compliments* from walkers

*ie “you’re mad” and “rather you than me”

Cracking ride. Only thing I’d change would be not to come back over Garburn Pass. The descent was fun, but not worth the climb. Go further south over High Borrans

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

No, never had grumpy walker trouble up there.
    Seldom get any grumpy gits in the mountains-proper.
    Ironically, only ever seem to get flack on the bridleways (eg Ullswater Lakeside), so we avoid bridleways as a rule 😉

trailhound101

+1 for Ecky. Last year we did Ings, Dubbs, then down into Troutbeck, up onto highstreet, then across to nanbield down to Kentmere and back over to Ings – it was really good – bit of a push in places. We had no aggro from walkers but were courteous and smiley … as always!

crispo
    Free Member

Ok you’ve managed to convince me! And the plan may now change into being from Staveley so we can go Borans, Dubbs, Garburn, ridge line, Nan Bield and then either green quarter or three rivers to finish!

Thanks for the help!

postierich
    Free Member

Its a class ride even in crap weather make sure you go unto Thornthwaite Beacon for the extra height
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/nzrich/1GU333

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I hate high borrans* BOOOOORRRRRRRIIIIINGGGGG, go over the pass and descend to troutbeck and climb back up to dubs on the road.

*hyperboly alert

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Nan Bield from Troutbeck’ is closed to new replies.