Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Nan Bield access from Gatesgarth???
  • Rik
    Free Member

Done the normal down to Gatesgarth then carry back up to Nan Bield then back down to Kentmere a few times.

But what’s the footpath like to go direct from the top of Gatesgarth to the top of Nan Bield missing out the descent, is the footpath hike a bike, rideable bit of both or just a push?

thekettle
    Free Member

If you mean over Harter Fell, it’s good. 99% Rideable on the way up, then a quality tech-fest descent to Nan Beild (steeper and rockier than anything on the Nan Beild descent).

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Top of Gatescarth over Harter Fell is our preferred route.
    Better than wasting hard-earned altitude by dropping to Haweswater (which is a bit feeble as a descent)
    There’s some push/carry terrain but a well defined path on the way up. The first bit of the descent from Harter Fell into Nan Bield is less well defined but you can basically take whatever line you want. Lower down you’ll pick up a more obvious path into Nan Bield. Nicely techy in places 🙂

Rik
    Free Member

Cool thanks for the heads up

dlr

Interesting, I have done Rik’s route once, want to go back but found it quite painful carrying up, like the look of this alternative. Being that it is a footpath, just common sense and give way I presume and probably pretty quiet rambler wise so tolerated?

whitestone
    Free Member

The only time I can think of when that path is busy is on the day of the Kentmere fell race when the bottom section up from Nan Bield will be full of runners. The race course cuts south about here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=345666&Y=509347&A=Y&Z=115

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Nan Bield access from Gatesgarth???’ is closed to new replies.