Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Naming your bike(s)
  • LadyGresley
    Free Member

Following on from RRR’s thread about Troy, who else names their bikes? And, of course, what are their names?

I currently have Minnie, Pippy, Rosie, Victoria and Pearl 🙂

Kryton57

*reported*

Rorschach
    Free Member

All my bikes are called Dave….in fact everything is called Dave….occasionally this leads to some mild confusion.

antigee

I knew it was going to be a mistake opening this thread – my bikes and me are intimately close friends – plenty of km’s of hard down there action but I’ve never asked for a name or a phone number

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Christene – 1st MTB. Kept being regenerated.
    Jezebel – Mashup 531c Steel racer. Always ridden with the hospital tag on from a crash.
    Number 6* – Sadly stolen – curvy and somewhat ahead of it’s time 26″ citybike
    AGNIs – All the Gear No Idea steed – Thorn 26″ Rohloff tourer
    The Pig – a Blue Pig. Who knew?

*As-in BSG “Number 6”

Harry_the_Spider

Mine is called Bike. It shares a shed with Bike, Bike, Bike, Bike and Broken Bike.

jam-bo

The green one
    The white one
    The road bike

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no need the manufacturer did it for me and helpfully wrote it on the bike for easy recognition.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got 5 Whytes, 3 of them are Whyte 19’s (the Silver one, the White one and the Ti one), then there’s the E5 and the CX bike.
    They already have names why would I want to change them?

kayla1
    Free Member

Mine is just ‘my bike’. When I had two bikes it was ‘hardtail’ and my FS was ‘bouncy bike’. I only have one bike now (by choice 😯 )- 5 BMXs not included…

Rubber_Buccaneer

Mine have names on Strava so I can track their mileage but I’m paranoid about putting genuine details up there

nickc

no need the manufacturer did it for me and helpfully wrote it on the bike for easy recognition.

this

theotherjonv

Extremely NSFW; contains very bad word.

(and no offence intended, name your bikes if you want, just reminded me)

epicyclo

They’re all called Yakunt. Usually while trying to climb something steep – I like to encourage the bike with “C’mon Yakunt”. I think it’s a Yiddish word. 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mine are referred to as big bike (DH) and little bike (hardtail).

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Preston (PRST-1)
    The Bucket
    The Beast
    Pennywise
    Reasonable Grounds for Divorce
    The Imperial Inquisition (the road bike)

Drac

Heckler, Jake, 7+, Rockhopper and Chameleon.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hodor.

It carries someone who doesn’t really have the legs for it.

mcnultycop

In no way would I ever give my bikes names.

Hardtail, CX, Canyon and fatty is more than enough.

scotroutes

I mostly just use the manufacturers name for them – the Blur, the Amazon etc. If it’s non-cyclists I’m conversing with then I’ll usually use a descriptive term.

Exceptions;

The Onion (long story and it wasn’t my choice)

The Wildcat (custom Pact frame so no original name. I could just call it the Pact but what if I buy another?)

funkmasterp

The Tonka Truck. It’s an orange Transition Trans AM 29er. Last bike was Mean Green Machine (26 Bfe) yes, yes I am extremely sad

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Epicyclo’s winning up to now. 😆

My FS is called, ‘The Orange’
    The road bike is called, ‘The Road Bike’.
    Old steel HT is called, ‘Trusty Rusty’.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I’ve a Genesis Longditude which I’ve named (Long Distance) Clara. I sometimes even make the pigeon noises when I’m really blowing on a climb

milky1980
    Free Member

I name them on Strava and in my head but never refer to their names out loud :mrgreen:

Currently got:
    Chloe – the big bike
    Rachel – the smaller bike
    The commuter’s just called the Grey Commuting Machine, doesn’t seem to have any personality. Which is fine, it’s just a tool.

Esme
    Free Member

“All my bikes are called Dave”
    In the Downton Abbey era, apparently servants were often given the same name (eg William or Sarah).
    So, with a uniform and identical hairstyle, they didn’t need to be recognised as individuals.

Esme
    Free Member

“All my bikes are called Dave”
    And all George Foreman’s sons are called George, all five of them 😯

flap_jack
    Free Member

Captain Scarlet (red 1995 Zaskar that just won’t die)
    Trans Europe Express (racer that I rode to Rome back in 2010)
    The Happy Shopper (Thorn XTC with full pannierage, generally used around town these days)
    Dark and Long (dark grey full suspension)
    Tweedie (1983 Raleigh Record Ace, Green and Brown)
    Parker (1982 Raleigh Road Ace, 5 o’clock shadow blue, goes out with ‘Lady Penelope’ which is mrs flap_jack’s vintage pink 531c mixte)
    the Guv’nor (it’s a Guv’nor)
    the Batmobile (Black and Orange graveller)

Mrs Plum (wife’s purple shopper)
    Esmerelda (wife’s green hardtail)
    Tigger (wife’s orange and black FS rig)
    Elsie (wife’s 1983 Raleigh Lady Royal)
    Belladonna (wife’s black call-the-midwife Pashley)
    Lady Penelope (wife’s superlight vintage pink 531c mixte)
    Rhubarb (pink Brompton)

mildbore

I’ve got a name for anyone who names their bike(s)

simmy
    Free Member

MTB – t’orange

Hybrid – t’hybrid

Road Bike – racer

Pub bike – shopping bike

Used to name my Cars but then realised you get too attached to them and Cars do my head in now.

robdixon
    Free Member

I’ve only named one bike and it’s the one I used to cycle to the station and leave there all day. I called it Station Jim after the stuffed dog in a glass box on one of the platforms at Slough station.

Northwind

Sometimes stuff of mine aquires names, sometimes not, if you have to force it then it’s not its actual name. I’m open to the idea but it’s never actually happened for any of my mtbs. Though sometimes just the bike name itself takes on a bit of affection, like “the soul” and “the ragley” to me are definitely more, I don’t know, emotionally attached than “the remedy”, frinstance

flap_jack
    Free Member

I got the poison ! I got the remedy !

Northwind

Obviously it has a theme tune, it just doesn’t have a name 😆

(I always meant to do a video on my ragley ti, starting off with david guetta’s titanium then a big needle-dragging screech NOPE, and kicking off into chatanooga choo choo for the rest of it, lynskey being from chatanooga)

Northwind

Oops, wrong thread!

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Stan the Stanton. Naturally.
    Atomic Vomit is the bright yellow full susser.
    Fugly the Felt singlespeed conversion with drop bars.
    My ‘ex’ is the Planet X cx bike.

Totally normal me. Although as the father of two girls i do sometimes refer to Stan as ‘the son I never had’.

It also makes me chuckle when i explain i keep my ex in the garage and take her out for a ride from time to time.

5thElefant
    Free Member

White one, blue one, black one and the road bike (can’t remember what colour it is).

ThePilot
    Free Member

All my bikes seem to end up with names

Dr Jekyll, a Cannondale Jekyll, FS that went with a Kinesis Maxlight hardtail called Mr Hyde

Isaac Hayes, Oh My Days – Cotic Soul (my favourite bike ever). Isaac Hayes was the soul bit and oh my days was because I loved riding it so much

Kristin – A Scott cx bike, named in honour of Kristin Scott Thomas

Tony – Fat bike named after Fat Tony from The Simpsons

And Archie – Bird Aeris. My grandmother left me a bit of money when she died and I put in towards the Aeris. She lived on Archer Road.

therealhoops
    Free Member

All my bikes have names and until recently they were all lesbians. Previous names include: Loretta, Stanley and Xena. I only have two bikes now; Strawberry “Strawbs” and Arry.

zinaru
    Free Member

guilty. my bike is called ‘the jones’ (its my only bike so ‘the bike’ would do),

my wife has caught me out once or twice for talking about various biking tales thats ive started with ‘we’ when it was just me and the bike!

ive a history of relating to inanimate objects, only child with a big imagination!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Xena WAS NOT a lesbian!

She was miiine!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Naming your bike(s)’ is closed to new replies.