Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Names that don't translate well…
  • grtdkad

What were Skoda thinking when they decided on calling their new SUV a Karoq? It had better be damned good…

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/karoq/91163/new-skoda-karoq-suv-full-uk-pricing-and-specs-revealed

jimjam
    Free Member

MR2

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Fenix 4

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dunno, but it looks like all the other mini SUVs on the planet.

Edukator
    Free Member

Silver Mist(stück)

No-va

DS (which loses it’s meaning)

VW Bulli

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

IIRC The Pajero’s name wasn’t received too well in some Spanish speaking countries.

Not exactly a translation thing but I always thought the Ford Probe was a bit cheeky. 🙂

grtdkad

Pajero is a bit of an eye opener !

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My name, Jimmy. I fancied a tattoo of my name in Japanese so asked a guy I knew who’s wife was Japanese & was a lecturer at Durham uni. No such translation & the nearest was Ji Mi, which apparently means ‘samurai body’.

I didn’t bother with the tat.

ready

I don’t think they sell many Konas in Portugal…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

What were the Thais thinking when they named places Bangkok and Phuket? 😯

antigee

deadlydarcy – Member
    IIRC The Pajero’s name wasn’t received too well in some Spanish speaking countries………

there’s a guy just around the corner with one and he is

think now called Montero in spain

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No-va

Why is that one a problem?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No-va

Why is that funny?

Cougar

You had to ask twice?

I believe (rightly or urban-mythly, I’ve no idea) that it translates as “doesn’t go.”

shermer75
    Free Member

Does Karoq mean something? I’m not really getting the OP’s point. Is it just that it sounds a bit daft?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Carrot?

timba
    Free Member

Hyundai’s Trajet TD, they couldn’t call it a Trajet D could they?

rOcKeTdOg

SEGA

Pompino

Both in italian slang

RoterStern
    Free Member

onehundredthidiot

Renault kadjar too close to cadger.

The discount website wowcher is not going to work in France.

poly
    Free Member

I suspect it is a search engine driven name. Essentially every mention of Karoq is about their product. It replaces the Yeti which is quite the opposite.

brant
    Free Member

Pompino

😯

slowoldman
    DrJ

There is the Danish wind energy company DONG (apparently they thought of DOG but rejected it as sounding silly)

And an African hydrocarbon company called NIGAS.

richwales

The Mitsubishi starion – named after the Japanese pronunciation of “stallion”

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I believe (rightly or urban-mythly, I’ve no idea) that it translates as “doesn’t go.”

Hmmm ok I can see that, but only in as much as Singletrackworld is a place you would go to buy things on which to hang your vest.

tomhoward

Pompino was done deliberately I think?

doris5000

DONG are changing their name sometime soon, because it’s so silly.

One that has always amused me is that Škoda means “that’s a shame” or “too bad”…….. in Czech 😆

DrJ

DONG are changing their name sometime soon, because it’s so silly.

I think it’s actually because hey are no longer in oil and natural gas but I’m sure it will be a relief!!

nedrapier

MR2 doesn’t sound so good in French.

tthew

Citroen had a various variants of the BX. In France one was called the TRD, for the UK market changed to TDR.

Edukator
    Free Member

They’re just called MR in France.

P-Jay
    Free Member

richwales – Member
    The Mitsubishi starion – named after the Japanese pronunciation of “stallion”

Oh I’ve heard this one…

The story goes the Exec in Japan phoned his counterpart in the US and said “the new call is called ‘Stallion'” but the US guy misheard, because of his accent “Starion? okay” and they signed off a massive TV campaing or something.

It’s a funny, but it’s just not true – don’t believe everything Clarkson says.

It’s one of those made up words the marketing teams come up with – it’s supposedly short for ‘Star of Orion’ which befits the time, still in the cold war, Star Wars was massive, shuttle launches and all that – it’s probably no mistake it sounds a bit like Stallion as they were aiming it at the Mustang in the US.

philjunior
    Free Member

Did you know MR2 translates badly to French? Not sure if anyone’s said it yet.

Also, my name means Onion in Russian.

And yeah, Pompino was done deliberately. They even ran a “Give your dad a Pompino for father’s day” marketing campaign.

grtdkad

Does Karoq mean something? I’m not really getting the OP’s point. Is it just that it sounds a bit daft?

Perhaps just the way my mind works. I looked at that and immediately saw “karoq* of shi#”

A phrase regularly used to the point where we just use Crock for any object that is a bit useless
    *crock

hols2
    Free Member

beanum

jonnyrobertson

Hyunadai Terror Can (terracan).

Nico
    Free Member

It’s one of those made up words the marketing teams come up with – it’s supposedly short for ‘Star of Orion’ which befits the time, still in the cold war, Star Wars was massive, shuttle launches and all that – it’s probably no mistake it sounds a bit like Stallion as they were aiming it at the Mustang in the US.

Yeah right. Star wars.

Car names are usually the result of a massive amount of research to find a name that is primarily unique and therefore not infringing anybody’s copyright, and secondarily not going to mean “heap of crap” in some significant market. In the past the Japanese produced some odd ones, probably because they didn’t do the easy thing and employ Europeans to come up with European market names. So you ended up with the Nissan Cedric. Subaru, incidentally, is the constellation aka the Seven Sisters, which I find slightly amusing given their supposed demographic in the US. Ford paid a lot of money to Dutton when they found out that Dutton had the rights to the name Sierra (saw, or mountain range) for cars.

Karoq is funny because it sounds like Crock for those who hadn’t got it yet. But as mentioned it is at least a one subject google unlike Yeti or Superb.

Edukator
    Free Member

I can’t see the problem with yours, beanum

Gémma Pell = J’ai ma pelle

I have my spade

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Names that don't translate well…’ is closed to new replies.