Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • Names for a baby girl – HELP!!
  • mattjg
    Free Member

I always said if I had a daughter she’d be Hannah. Then I had a daughter and we called her Evelyn (Charlotte). Her mum had many other ideas but once I’d heard Evelyn Charlotte it was a done deal for me and mum warmed to it.

So I give you: Hannah

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdmiZyyGjQ[/video]

Loads for you there

Ben_mw

currently I like Elsie

Can’t have it. My 8 month old goes by that name. So nerrr.

I haven’t met any other Elsie’s, not young ones anyway, so it does stand out a little amongst all the Isabell/Isobel/Isabella’s etc! (One of the nursery staff does still spell it wrong though)!

scud
    Free Member

My daughter is called Freya, wasn’t sure of it when my wife suggested it originally, but really like it now, Nordic word for beauty apparently.

clubber
    Free Member

Ben_mw – Member

Can’t have it. My 8 month old goes by that name. So nerrr.

I haven’t met any other Elsie’s, not young ones anyway, so it does stand out a little amongst all the Isabell/Isobel/Isabella’s etc! (One of the nursery staff does still spell it wrong though)!

I know two recent Elsies… sorry…

I find girls names much harder to pick than boys’ – we had loads to choose from for my son but with a girl on the way in Feb, we’re stuggling…

We did quite like Cadence but it’s too similar to my son’s name (Cadel) and others that we liked don’t work with the surname.

philconsequence
    Free Member

iDaughter

Bunnyhop

pretty and reasonably unheard name to bless her with.

Call me boring but I hate these made up unheard of names.

As someone who changed their name. please think of the child and not yourself.
    Why not google the most popular names and pick one that isn’t on the list.

clubber
    Free Member

He didn’t say made up though, did he? Just uncommon.

carbon337
    Free Member

When choosing girls names did anyone else have issues when their Mrs suggested names of women you had slept with in the past ?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Esme.

Bunnyhop

clubber

He didn’t say made up though, did he? Just uncommon.

very true.
    However most unheard of names, tend to be made up imo.

I love traditional:
    Jennifer
    Eleanor
    Charlotte
    Imogen
    Katie
    Lucy

philconsequence
    Free Member

When choosing girls names did anyone else have issues when their Mrs suggested names of women you had slept with in the past ?

haha, imagine then being a policeman, psych nurse, doctor etc:

esme: nope, schizophrenic
    lulu: nope, shoplifter.. etc etc

inbred853

Caoimhe
    Aine
    Orla

GW
    Free Member

Oh Yes. had that problem with nearly every name so I made my first daughters name up and went with a French name for my second daughter.

prezet
    Free Member

I always like Molly too – but we gave that one to our dog 😀

carbon337
    Free Member

mrs suggested an emily and a lucy – didnt dare tell her they were twins i had been with – separately i must add though and not at same time.

Sodajim

More fine suggestions thank you!

Some lovely name given to Im sure lovely duaghters 😀

Just to confirm I’m not really into made up names either, I dont mind names than can be shortened, love traditional names and it only has to be uncommon for my wifes sake really. Being a James popular names dont really worry me unlike my wife – Fri’chikenisha

Cougar

Did you say what your wife wants? I didn’t see it in the thread.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Pick a characteristic you think your child has, or otherwise would like to have, then find all the permutations of words to describe that diretly or in any tenuous way, in every language or religion or culture you can come up with. Then choose from those or use them as inspiration.

I also chose names that have a sonorous quality, so when I call them it has a postive pleasant sound, not some a grating chavvy name or name with harsh sylabubs

hora
    Free Member

Amelie.

NJA

Victoria Marie

That’s what we were going to call a daughter, but we got Thomas James and Jacob Morgan instead.

molgrips
    Free Member

We went with Gwynneth or Gwen. There were a few caveats – that actress lady and a particlarly nasty witch of a teacher at my mum’s school both had that name, but within a week it’s 100% my daughter.

GW
    Free Member

Just to confirm I’m not really into made up names either,

Just to confirm, I’m not into other peoples made up names either and certainly wasn’t about to share mine. If you’re going to make something up, fine by me but actually make it up, don’t just copy other peoples’! 😉

GW
    Free Member

Hora – problem there is no-one here can pronounce even the simplest French names, we had to choose one that’s also used here. (my Daughter’s French BTW)

GrahamS
    DezB
    Free Member

I see Eve and Lilly have been suggested.. friend of ours has a dog called Lilly and a daughter called Eve… or is it the other way round, I keep getting them mixed up!
    here’s some names from MrsDezB’s family collection:
    Scarlett
    Star
    Keirra
    Kerys
    Imogen
    There loads more, I can’t remember them all!
    and mine
    Emily
    Connie
    Hope
    Oops, sorry, the last one is my dog.

Sodajim

I like sugdenr’s advice on a name having a sonorous quality I think that goes with what was mentioned earlier as to make sure its till sounds pleasant when called from the door step in your regional accent

I purposely haven’t posted my wife’s choice for my daughters sake as its more than likely inevitable her mother will get her own way in the end (don’t they always!) and I’m not sure I want it recorded on the interweb for eternity that I was unsure about her name

hora
    Free Member

I almost gave our son ‘Forest’ as a middle name 8)

Cougar

I’m not sure I want it recorded on the interweb for eternity that I was unsure about her name

It’s a bit late for that, so you might as well tell us. (-:

I’m thinking, I can’t help you find a good name, but I’d expect that STW can almost certainly give you plenty of ammo against a bad one.

mogrim

My daughters are called Aitana and Miranda, the first is a Spanish name.

The doorstep test is a good one to bear in mind.

mangoridebike

Olivia

Our chosen name for our daughter, mainly chosen because it sounds nice 🙂

We had the same debate about names for our two, bounced many around until one appeared that clicked instantly for both us.

ourmaninthenorth

Mrs North was to be called ‘Harriet’. Story goes that her father, nopt liking the name, re-selected one at random from the baby names book and registered that.

Baby North was going to be called Evelyn, after my paternal grandmother. But our appalling neighbour was Evie, which put us off.

Mrs North then suggested another name I wasn’t all that with until I had a lightbulb moment and refused to consider another. And that’s what she has:

Beatrice. Mainly known as Bea.

Sodajim

Cougar I hear what your saying and I’m sure STW could give me plenty of ammo to go against her name choice but thinking ahead – we know she’s inevitably going to get her own way so I could go from merely being unsure of her choice to hating it if it got a good hammering here, then I really will be pi**ed off!

blades2000
    Free Member

Joyce
    Helen
    When we picked we had a choice of boys and girls and narrowed it down to about 10 names of each sex. When our Daughter was born we both still hadn’t made our choice but decided shortly after seeing her.

darrenm
    Free Member

Poppy

Cougar

Good point, well made. (-:

woody74

We went for Amber, our second choice was India.

bazzer
    Free Member

Juliet

clubber
    Free Member

Bravo!

lizzz
    Free Member

Elizabeth…

So many options for what the kid does eventually get called. (liz is my favourite!)

Failing that, invent a nickname for your child and just refer to her by that rather than her actual name!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Names for a baby girl – HELP!!’ is closed to new replies.