Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Name this electrical component….
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I know its a schottky diode, but can’t fathom out a serial number, the “Z238” doesn’t take me anywhere. I need to buy a few of them as one on a board I’m using has blown.

Drac

It’s Brian.

Cougar

Beyond me, I’d have said it was a voltage regulator. Never heard of a shottky diode.

nickjb
    Free Member

Z2xx are usually zener diodes but not aware of a Z238

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s Hal, he fell on hard times after Space Odyssey. Spent a few years as a bit part actor for TV, most notably playing Orac in Blakes 7, but he’s ended up in a dead end job on a circuit board.

Shame, he had potential.

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s a flux capacitor.

RustyMac

I would have guessed that the Z may be for Zener but if you know it is a schottky then that is that theory blown out the water.

Cougar

Is it this?

http://www.wbparts.com/rfq/5961-00-577-0764.html

Shame, he had potential.

😆

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

It’s an interrociter!

Cougar

Miss Jones?

footflaps

According to the PCB he’s called D7.

rickmeister

Turbo Encapsulator ?

woody2000

If it is indeed a Schottky diode, then it’s one made by ST so take a look here:

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/sense_power/FM64/CL1571/SC541

-m-
    Free Member

I don’t recognise the component, but am wondering whether the board is an important part of the Starship Enterpirse?

Rio

ST is the manufacturer,

E3 I think means a lead-free package,

Z238 is I suspect the production location and date.

so the 6 D and E could well be the thing that indicates what it is.

I could be completely wrong, it’s been about 25 years since I designed electronic things!

jambourgie
    Free Member

I nominate Ted. Ted the component.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers,
    Rio’s link works. Found it at Farnell too, a whopping 14p each.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Continuum transfunctioner

cyclebiker

It does look like a device whose mystery is only exceeded by its power

Cougar

Can’t be a quality component, they can’t even spell “Star Trek” properly on the board.

mogrim

Can’t be a quality component, they can’t even spell “Star Trek” properly on the board.

Star Terki, ready for xmas.

marcus7
    Free Member

Daft question but if you dont know what it is, how do you know its not working???. 😯

woody2000

A multimeter will tell you which bit of the board isn’t working as expected

marcus7
    Free Member

You have me there…. if you don’t know what the component is and what it does then how do you know its not working as expected?.. what kind of multimeter do you have? must be pretty fancy!! 😀

woody2000

Well, he knows it’s a diode, so he could do a basic test mith a meter to check for conductance (couldn’t he?)

maxtorque

That’s Steven, Steven Schottky…….

maxtorque

PS. Make sure you put the new one in the right way around. (The black “stripe” down the left hand side of the top of the package indicates the cathode generally)

maxtorque

You can easily work out the voltage rating as follows:

1) Look at the rating of the capacitor that it sits next too, it’s breakdown voltage must be less than this!

2) Measure the rail voltage across one on a “working” pcb, the breakdown voltage will be just a little above that value

3) Unsolder a good one, use a bench powersupply in constant current mode to find the breakdown voltage

I suspect, this device is acting as the supply rail protection device, and was killed by a reverse polarity supply (the most common cause of dead electronic do-dahs!) I imagine the “dead” one is obvious because it’s toast!

marcus7
    Free Member

I think you are missing my point, he didn’t know what the component was but had concluded that it had failed I’m just curious as to how he knew it had failed. Admittedly being a diode is easy to test with most meters however on board testing is notoriously difficult to without the correct test jig to mimic working conditions and i would never test a component on board as its not isolated from other components as you could possibly bugger up another component. Its smt so is easy enough to remove and test but each to their own 😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Name this electrical component….’ is closed to new replies.