Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • name that rear road light…
  • alzore
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

I followed another bike in this morning on my commute and he had a light that I really liked the look of. It was extremely bright and stood out well.

Description: round and the light stayed constant for three seconds before flashing twice..

Can anyone help identify from my cr@p description?

Many thanks

bigG
    Free Member

Hope District? brighter than the sun.

tomd
    Free Member

These have been around for a while and have a mode as described:

http://www.use1.com/exposure-lights/cycle-lights-2015/flare

No used them myself but they’re pretty popular. Recently got some lezyne zecto lights for the winter commuting season, they have some pretty cool modes that combine flashing with a constant light.

tomd
    Free Member

Hope District?

I like the robustness of the design but I think these are a bit of an overkill. Riding in town I don’t want to stop in the advanced stop box, burn the driver behind me’s retinas out so that they then veer off killing scores of people.

gonzy
    Free Member

i doubt its this one…but its a bit of a monster
    http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/bikehead-lights/rear-lights.html

njee20
    Free Member

These have been around for a while and have a mode as described:

Unless they’ve changed recently they don’t, they ‘pulse’, but it’s a regular flashing of the LED brighter/dimmer, rather than a 3 second break between flashes.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Riding in town I don’t want to stop in the advanced stop box, burn the driver behind me’s retinas out so that they then veer off killing scores of people.

They do have lower output modes. Full power is great for daylight riding. I love mine and it was a (relative) bargain when Halfords were selling off their Hope stuff + BC discount + Halfords promo 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

tomd

I like the robustness of the design but I think these are a bit of an overkill. Riding in town I don’t want to stop in the advanced stop box, burn the driver behind me’s retinas out so that they then veer off killing scores of people.

I don’t want to stop in the advanced stop box and have someone who’s driving along texting kill me. I’ve not got a Hope District (knog blinder) but I don’t have a problem with bright lights when you’re the most vulnerable road user.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Depends where you ride I guess. Some one uses one around my way, in a more suburbia / country area, and it has convinced me that it would be the only rear light I would use if commuting.

There is one big hill I go up, and quite often the hill might have 2-3 cyclist on it at one time. Guess which light stands out way better than the others, even at distance..

Andy_B

These look interesting. Has anyone tried them yet?

see sense

jimjam
    Free Member

Andy_B

see sense

Yup. A really good light when you get it working, but the whole button-less thing results in a lot of needless faff. You have to rotate the light to turn it on, rotate the light to change modes, it’s a bit like playing a really shit game on your phone. I could forgive that if it was totally sealed, and say, magnetically charged, but it’s not. So I don’t see how a button would have been an issue.

Also means the light is never really off, so it’s using battery, even when “off”. It means you can’t turn the light “off” when cycling along for example….

p8ddy
    Free Member

I’ve got one. As JimJam points out, the buttonless on/off switch is a bit annoying. However – The new See Sense lights come with auto on/off which is a great idea and make the light perfect in my book.

See Sense are also offering kickstarter backers a free upgrade to the new electronics abd a cheapo upgrade to an uprated battery. I’ve taken them up on the offer. Great light, great company.

I’d recommend. I commute every day in all manner of crappy weather, and it’s had no issues at all.

p8ddy
    Free Member

JimJam – you can turn the light off using the same annoying rotate as on. The battery charge holds steady for longer than my Garmin for example…

jimjam
    Free Member

Yes, but because the accelerometer always needs to be on, to detect the rotation, should you want to switch it on, it’s never quite off. It won’t store a charge for as long as other comparable light in my experience.

I like to turn my light on and off during the ride sometimes, for example when going through parks/towpaths/off road then on again when re-joining the road in order to save battery. With any conventional light I can do this on the move. It’s nigh on impossible with the see-sense.

It’s got a lot of good ideas but I think the see sense just crosses the line in terms of trying to do too much and be to clever. An on/off button would make the world of difference to it.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Over the last few years I have become a fan of lights while commuting in the daytime, the front light has certainly reduced the number of people who start to pull from rabs or side roads out without looking.
    There is a very good rear light for daytime riding:

http://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/scorpion/

Just dont use the two brightest settings at night. It has settings more like the Hope or exposure for night riding

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got one. As JimJam points out, the buttonless on/off switch is a bit annoying. However – The new See Sense lights come with auto on/off which is a great idea and make the light perfect in my book.

I’ve got one too – with the upgrade. The auto on/off is good, but so is the “switch off” – face the light down for 3 secs (I just stand the bike on it’s back wheel.)
    Don’t need to worry about changing modes. It’s damn bright! (But expensive now).

riddoch

Going back to the originating question, the flash pattern isn’t the Hope district, either slow or fast flash. Could it have been a learner zecto?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘name that rear road light…’ is closed to new replies.