Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)
  • Name Nazis
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

Bobbin? is that you?

jekkyl

My name isn’t Robert. Didn’t stop every teacher I ever had insisting it was. People still assume it’s Robert nowadays.

so who are you? Sue?!

sands
    Free Member

mindmap3 – member

My other half’s sister is really funny about people shortening her little ‘uns name, Alexander. It’s Ok to call in ‘Zander’ (WTF???)…

Nordic Noir fans?

In the recent Scandi TV series ’Follow The Money’ one of the main characters was Alexander but called Zander / Sander by his friends.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

so who are you? Sue?!

one of the funniest songs ever written

finbar
    Free Member

Nordic Noir fans?

In the recent Scandi TV series ’Follow The Money’ one of the main characters was Alexander but called Zander / Sander by his friends.

See also: Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

DezB
    Free Member

Buffy was really called Alexander?

GrahamS

See also the Canal & River Trust
    (a Zander is an agressive type of Perch, non-native invasive species)

slowoldman

Anyway, shouldn’t it be Xander?

funkmasterp

I don’t answer to my full name, just the shortened version. Wife calls me Pip, everybody else Phil. I’m also one who yells my sons full name when he’s in trouble. Other than that he has about ninety nicknames. Some are shortened versions of his name.

A bit of an idiotic thing to do, but if anyone I meet insists on being addressed by their full name and it’s more than three syllables I’ll shorten it just to annoy them. Don’t be having a long name if you don’t want it shortening 😈

arrpee
    Free Member

My name’s Bob.

Can’t stand it when people insist on shortening it to “Kate”.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Maybe that’s why I’m eggy about it; my entire name is only 2 syllables; forename, surname, the lot.

It’s such an issue my wife has made up a middle name so she can address me in a testy fashion in front of the kids.

They really do think my middle name is Lancelot.

pondo

My brother told all my mates at little school that my middle name was Bartholomew, followed me all the way through high school, that did. It got to the point where I believed it. 🙁

mindmap3
    Free Member

Nordic Noir fans?

No idea, but I’m sticking with Al.

Scapegoat

Most bizarre for me is that my son has been known by his family name to all of his friends as long as I can remember- primary school, rugby team, secondary school, college and now university. None of them call each other by anything other than christian or nicknames. It hits home occasionally when one of them speaks to me and refers to him by our surname. I took him back after Christmas and as we were carrying stuff into his room I saw a cricket on the carpet. A quick search discovered that the room was full of them. As we were rounding them all up one of the other students whispered that two of the rooms had been hit, and that there were five or six more to find in “Barnett’s” room. His twin sister was disgruntled to discover that she was known as “Barnett-Lass” at school…….

thegreatape
    Free Member

When my nephew was born, my mother in law rang to tell us the news, and the name. She did a poor job if hiding her displeasure that he had been called JJ. I asked what this stood for, and learned it stood for Jay-Jay 😀 . Apparently this is a footballer. My brother in law went and registered the birth without telling his wife, and she only learned of the name when he came back with the certificate. I think he got in the shit for that. They’re divorced now.

Cougar

Tell that to my daughters classmate Typhanny (No, really!)

Sounds like something you’d go to the GP to get some cream for.

Yup. Xander’s full name is Alexander Lovell Harris. (I’ve been waiting a decade or so for that to pop up on a pub quiz.)

jekkyl

Cougar, I’m disappointed in you. Buffy!? BUFFY!? I bet you love that episode where they all starting singing. I only know of it as my wife’s a fan.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

It’s unfortunate that it’s often the most illiterate parents that give their kids unusual names – I remember when I worked in a school it was only when we got to see one particular child’s birth certificate that we actually got the correct spelling.
    I have one of those surnames that people assume has an ‘s’ on the end – they get told how wrong they are!

CountZero

Adi.

This is what I generally get called. At my last job, I usually got called by my full name, Adrian. At school, most of my friends called me Groundhog, after the whizzy new Dunlop performance car tyre, and because of my fondness for fast cars; one of my ex-girlfriends still uses it, thirty-odd years later! Bless her 😀
    Personally, I’m of the opinion that you can call me anything you want, just don’t call me late for lunch…
    To be a bit more serious for a mo’, I think some parents can be just a bit too precious about kids names, it’s the child’s name, it just happens that it was given by the parents, but to refuse to recognise that once away from the home and mixing with others, the name can and will undergo change is just stupid. I know plenty of people who have names used by friends and colleagues that are different to their original, full name as given by their parents – it’s generally acknowledged that they’re on their mum’s shitlist when they’re called by their full name…
    I know two Charlottes, one is universally known as Lottie, the other I asked what she prefers when I asked her name, and she said Charlotte, nothing else, so Charlotte she is.
    Another close friend is known to all her friends as Coo, she even has it as part of her car registration, but her actual name is Caron: Coo is the first part of her surname.
    Yet another friend, who I’ve known for many years as Ann, surprised me when I eventually discovered her first name was Mary, which she really didn’t like, so used her middle name instead. I think she was Mary or Mary Ann when out of sorts with mum!

Cougar

Cougar, I’m disappointed in you. Buffy!? BUFFY!? I bet you love that episode where they all starting singing. I only know of it as my wife’s a fan.

Once More With Feeling. I am a Whedonite, yes.

mefty
    Free Member

Xander has been a common short form for years, indeed one of my brother’s school friend shortened it further to Xand. My brother is 57.

Cougar

Give it another few years and you’ll be Professor X.

nick1962
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

My name isn’t Robert. Didn’t stop every teacher I ever had insisting it was. People still assume it’s Robert nowadays.
    Boaby surely? 😉
    When I moved to Glesga some kind soul told me the correct Glesga way to pronounce my boss’s name was Boaby rather than Bobby.I duly obliged 😳

GrahamS

Hence why Cilla Black always got a laugh in Glesga when she used to say “Ah miss my wee Boaby”

tjagain

zander ( not xander) is a common abbreviation for Alexander in Scotland – hence Zander Fagerson the rugby player.

Stainypants

Everyone who knew me from birth to about 9 still calls me Nicky when they see me which is no way to address a 42 year old unless your Clarke or Campbell, Worse everyone that first knew me from 9-18 calls me Stainy usually said a broad Leeds accent.

When I started Uni I introduced myself as Nick from day 1 and thankfully that stuck.

perchypanther
    Free Member

zander ( not xander) is a common abbreviation for Alexander in Scotland –

Must be an Edinburgh thing.

I know lots of people called Alex, Alec, Lex, Eck , Sandy, and Sanny

I’ve met a couple Xanders.

Never any Zanders.

tjagain

he is from Dundee / Perth. I have never heard of xander.

I do like some of the scottish ones. Senga took me years to understand. Its a name often adopted by women called Agnes – its simply Agnes backwards, George often becomes Doddy or Dod

deadkenny
    Free Member

ScottChegg – Member 
    I called to one kid ‘Timmy’, and got a snotty baggage saying his correct mode of address was ‘Timothy’. This was not helped by another Dad picking up on this and referring to him as Tim, Timmy, Timbo, Timster, Dr Timmington etc to even more lip pursing from the crone.

[video]https://youtu.be/HaBe33uVtBU[/video]

Can’t stand Timothy myself. Yes that’s my name (not Kenny you’d be surprised 😛 ). Tim is fine. My hate for the whole name stems a lot from the old TV show Sorry! though 😉

Timmy! Well I’m a fan of South Park (hence the name 😉 ) so appreciate a laugh at the name.

But not

chestrockwell

Odd lad at work called Dave sent out a email saying he wanted to be called David from that point on. You can imagine what we all called Dave from that point on.

Most people call me Ed these days so it’s always amusing when people who have known me a good while call me Edward.

My name is Edmund.

slowoldman

You can imagine what we all called Dave from that point on.

Loretta?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Loretta?

[video]https://youtu.be/sFBOQzSk14c[/video]

mefty
    Free Member

Odd lad at work called Dave sent out a email saying he wanted to be called David from that point on. You can imagine what we all called Dave from that point on.

I have a similar story, however, the chap in question’s father died so he became Lord Something. He duly sent a fax to his clients announcing his change of name. One of the US ones called him and said “Hey, Lord, love the new name”

onehundredthidiot

Had a few mates called George. Only one is referred to as George. The rest get (depending if they’re West coast or borders) shug, shuggie, dod, doddie, and fud.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

But I don’t have kids, so what do I know.

I don’t know what you know, I only know that by not having kids …you are wise.

My name is James Grainger & when I was 12 a schoolteacher insisted on calling me Stewart. It was ages before I twigged.

siwhite
    Free Member

Being Old Bill means I have had a good deal of exposure to economically diverse population groups, who have a good track record of stupid baby names.

I went to a domestic many years ago, and we record children’s names for multi agency safeguarding purposes. The mother was very proud to announce that her new baby was called J-KWON. I may have ventured to question the wisdom of naming a baby after an American one-hit-wonder rapper, particularly when mother and baby were a) not of similar ethnic background and 2) from a sleepy Oxfordshire market town, but the meaning was apparently lost.

Mind you, I know someone else who has named two boys Henley and Marlow. Both names were taken from a road atlas. Nice.

slowoldman

They should have gone for a hyphenated name for maximum impact, e.g. Kingston-Upon-Hull.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have a mate called Dave. He is absolutely, 100%, a David- he’s polite, quietly spoken, serious and considered, everything a Dave is not.

WTF is that supposed to mean???

Ah, yes, you may have a point there.

Have we done people who are known by their middle names yet?

donald
    Free Member

My name is James Grainger & when I was 12 a schoolteacher insisted on calling me Stewart. It was ages before I twigged.

Ahh – Jimmy Stewart. Good one.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You got off lightly. If you were at school now you’d be known as Hermione.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Name Nazis’ is closed to new replies.