Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • name me a good seatpost that does'nt creek and slip
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

as above really I have a 27.2 seat ( thomson ) and it creaks like mad , put some grease on it and that stops the noise but it then slips ! I have a bolt seat clamp but would rather a QR to drop the saddle . I cant afford a dropper post ATM

Cheers

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Was gonna say Thompson… but now I’m confused.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

my thomson does make alot of noise for some reason

nixie

Err not, Thomson == creek central.

I replaced mine with sdg ibeam. Lighter as well 😉

jameso

It may be the frame, Thomsons size up accurately / large, so less slip than others.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

nixie you find yours creeked ? mines so bad hear it a mile off ! what sdg you go for and what price ?

steezysix
    Free Member

You’ve got a Surge, right? I’ve got a Deity Tibia seatpost and Hope qr clamp on my one, never had any issues with noise.

mboy
    Free Member

Thomson’s are very prone to creaking, but I’ve found out what causes it… Mud/dirt getting into the seat tube.

I clean mine out with some degreaser and a rag every so often, then liberally apply a fresh coat of grease into the seat tube, reinsert the post and away I go… Creak free for a short while at least.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thomson and a Salsa QR. No slippage or creaks with this combo on my 4 bikes.

nixie

Yeap got 2, both creak from the seat clamp, unless I regularly dismantle and grease. Replaced with sdg micro ibeam post and Bel air saddle on one bike. Crc had a post and seat deal for 65. The ibeam is less forgiving but have done 70 miles on it.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

cheers mcmoonter have heard of these , what makes the salsa so special ?
    steezysix I must know you 🙂

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

I’ve had creaking problems with thomson seat post. It was driving nuts. The post seemed less than snug in the seat tube, causing it to rock slightly when on and off the saddle and creak.

Tried cutting the post so that only just penetrates past the top tube, reducing the ‘rock, but no sucess.

Finally decided to remove the carbon paste, a put a strip of sellotape on the length of post on the front side, snugger fit in seat tube – creak gone! for now anyway.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

what makes the salsa so special ?

I don’t know, but I rode with a bunch of guys in Verbier who all had fitted Salsa QRs, when I said I had problems with my Hope being unable to clamp the post securely, they said that was why they all used the Salsa. Problem solved.

bigG
    Free Member

Hope eternity & a Hope QR no creaking or slippage, and I’m immense so it’s clearly not too bad a set up.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Rather than grease try a little bit of carbon paste. Seems to stop slipping nicely and means you don’t have to crank up the bolt so tight.

bigyinn
    Free Member

My Thomson was creaking a bit a while back, was the saddle clamp area. Quick wipe over and a small smear of grease on the contact points, no more noise.

nick1962
    Free Member

Got to disagree about Salsa QR seatclamps.As soon as it gets dirty you can’T tighten mine.
    My Hope is the same and my new Ragley one loosens every time I undo it so I have to use an allen key.
    Best QR one I’ve used was the cheapest a Fireeye which has a knurled nut which you can adjust as well as the QR bit.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘name me a good seatpost that does'nt creek and slip’ is closed to new replies.