Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Name and Shame
  • Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Right then,

After lots of emails and threats of a name and shame, the hatstand that sold me a Scott Spark frame with bearings half pushed out, and all fixing missing has now gone quiet.

I bought the frame off him as in pretyt much mint condition, and with the bearings just changed and all bolts (except the shock mounting bolts) included.

When the frame arrived one of the pivot bearings was half in, and half out, and the rest looked very dodgy – pretty much a bodged attempt at changing the bearings.

A note was included, which stated that he had included a bearing kit as a geature of good will.

Also, all the cable routing guides (Scott specifc screw in guides) were missing, including the bottom bracket cable guide.

On contacting the seller he couldn’t care less, I offered him two options:

– A full refund
    – Him pay to fix the bodged job he’d done

He ignored both options, and has now not responded to two emails in a week.

I’ve had the bearings replaced and the cable guides ordered from Scott, but there is doubt over the frames integrity due to him bodging up pressing out the bearings – so I’m down the cost of the frame + the repair costs.

So, I warn anyone of buying or selling anything to or from Luke Anderson from Goole from PinkBike or any other forum he ends up on.

His profile is: http://lukeanderson31.pinkbike.com/

Pleae heed my warning, I’ve bought and sold loads on STW and only once had a problem, and that was with a new user.

Thanks

duntstick
    Free Member

Is that the employee (bike mechanic!) at Freetown Sports in Hull 😯

Leaves a nasty taste doesn’t it!

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

No idea if it is, just know his username. He was warned on several occasions to comply, with what I think are the two valid and fair options – a refund or a repair.

No reply from him, so I have to make people aware so they dont go through the same as me.

I rememeber selling a pair of Revs here a while ago, and oil had leaked in transit – the chap I sold them to wasn’t happy – so I just said to send them back and I’d give him a full refund (including postage). Turns out they had just leaked a bit from being upside down, they’re now over a year on, and being used on my missus’ hardtail and feel very good indeed 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ojom
    Free Member

He was warned on several occasions to comply

You are ED209 and i claim my fiver!

sv

from the Pinbike link:

Favorite Trails: Hull Marina Dalby Forest Hamsterley DH Hamsterley 4X Track
    About Me: orange blood? mechanic/sales assistant @ freetown sports,hull

Junkyard
    Free Member

Freetown Sports Trading Ltd
    70-76 Prospect Street
    Hull
    East Yorkshire
    HU1 3RT

Tel : 01482 589066
    Fax : 01482 589066

Email : sales@freetownsports.co.uk
    this free town one
    i would hate to have the reputaion of my business sullied by association with an inept mechanic and internet scammer ..just saying like

wwaswas

I think if I’d been the OP I’d have probably picked a Saturday and presented myself at the counter of Freetown Sports with the frame and not left until I’d got some my money back.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Target in sight.

ATTACK!
    ATTACK!
    ATTACK!

*nurse! My pills!*

letmetalktomark

***Pulls up chair****

Biscuit anyone?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Just made a cuppa too!

flamejob
    Free Member

Ooh I love a witch hunt.
    *lurks

I can see where this has come from though> change frame bearings; mess it up; get all antsy in your pantsy because you’ve destroyed an expensive frame and you are only a teenager; sell it quick sharp to some random on a forum you never visit; hide.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Feel free to post this on the next SS thread also…

racefaceec90

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gHKNwpny9o[/video] 😉 p.s saw them last night.they were fantastic.p.p.s to the op i hope you get a full refund.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve just heard he’s applied for one of those superinjunction thingies, best not mention any names from now on. 😉

sebgt
    Free Member

With him being a DJer from his pinkbike pics, where did he even get the Spark frame from…
    maybe a dodgy dealing through the shop he works at, a warranty frame that never made it back to scott?? might be worth speaking to the owner of the shop about the frames previous life

duntstick
    Free Member

They’re a Scott dealership……..

sebgt
    Free Member

I know that, but why would he just happen to have a Spark 20 in pieces available for sale

Reluctant
    Free Member

Reading his PB profile it looks like he was “selling it for a friend”

wwaswas

OP – phone the shop, talk to the manager and try and find out if the shop has any involvement in this.

It does smack of something going wrong with a frame repair, shop lad taking it ‘to play with’ and then selling it on.

therider
    Free Member

phone or email scott with the frame number to see if it is an dodgy frame?

uplink
    Free Member

OP – phone the shop, talk to the manager and try and find out if the shop has any involvement in this.

this

MentalMickey
    Free Member

You are ED209 and i claim my fiver!

That takes me back. 😀
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHUbGPnIhso[/video]

lukeanderson31
    Free Member

unlike most people in this situation, im going to my own input into this

I can see where this has come from though> change frame bearings; mess it up; get all antsy in your pantsy because you’ve destroyed an expensive frame and you are only a teenager; sell it quick sharp to some random on a forum you never visit; hide.

With him being a DJer from his pinkbike pics, where did he even get the Spark frame from…
    maybe a dodgy dealing through the shop he works at, a warranty frame that never made it back to scott?? might be worth speaking to the owner of the shop about the frames previous life

yeh im just a teenager, but im one with enough money to run a car, own a couple of bikes, of different disciplines, because i enjoy my biking. the bik fame was a project build, hich i then sold on

i use pinkbike all the time, never had a complaint before now.

frames previous life was my friend, who i bought the front end off, when i located a suitable rear swinging arm

It does smack of something going wrong with a frame repair, shop lad taking it ‘to play with’ and then selling it on.

the shop has NO involvement in any of my sales. the front end of the bike came from a friend of mine. the back end was off a frame which had FRONT end damage and so was sold on ebay, i bought this and repaired the full build myself. just because i work in a shop does not mean every move i do, the shop is invoved. doing so brings the shop into bad light, i was a customer there before i worked there, and i take full responsibility for my own actions, no matter what they are.

now from the OP

He ignored both options, and has now not responded to two emails in a week

ive been viewing my messages on my iphone, unfortunatly it wouldnt let me respond, and my computer was in repair. ive lost correspondance with a few users through this, and am in the process of apolgising to each one in turn.

When the frame arrived one of the pivot bearings was half in, and half out, and the rest looked very dodgy – pretty much a bodged attempt at changing the bearings.

A note was included, which stated that he had included a bearing kit as a geature of good will.

Also, all the cable routing guides (Scott specifc screw in guides) were missing, including the bottom bracket cable guide.

none of the guides were included, stated as include, nor were they asked for. as i wasnt using my frame, i gave them to a customer as he had misplaced his.

yes i inluded another bearing kit at my expense, i know these are expensive to get hold of. i id change thbearings myself, i have done many so feel im quite capable at doing them. all bearings were in straight, the note included stated that all bolts must be checked before riding, this is merely because i did not want to have left 1 or 2 slightly loose and them not be checked, any person would check a new frame over before their fist ride.

So, I warn anyone of buying or selling anything to or from Luke Anderson from Goole from PinkBike or any other forum he ends up on.

His profile is: http://lukeanderson31.pinkbike.com/

Pleae heed my warning, I’ve bought and sold loads on STW and only once had a problem, and that was with a new user.

Yes thats me, but if you ask any of my previous buyers, which spread over 3 years, you’l find no one else has any complaint to make esecially one that hasnt been voiced to me.

at the end of the day, i stand here guilty before proven innocent.and tbh theres not really a way i can change that. ive stated ths is my responsibility, it is of no association to Freetown Sports, Hull whatsoever, so the mention of the shop is completely irrelevant and merely puts slander on the shop. as for being a less than able mechanic, no customers have complained of my work, and all my work is checked over anyways.

morgs
    Free Member

so…after a long and heartfelt reply, the winner is….?
    😈

sweepy
    Free Member

return/refund then?

shepleg
    Free Member

Are you going to refund the OP then? have seen the frame and it is as has described it….

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

but im one with enough money to run a car, own a couple of bikes

Sounds like you are flush enough to refund the op his money then

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Picture of said bodged bearing?

Nomad
    Free Member

Still would ring the shop. Sounds like he has something to hide.

pastcaring
    Free Member

do the right thing! give Buttscratcher his money back or pay to make it right!

unfortunately Freetown Sports, Hull have had there name tarnished by your bad selling practices.
    why because you work for them…

bruneep

To be fair he’s quite good at his repairs driveshaft-fell off again/

Pinkbike ad

takisawa2

Well with a press release like that he’ll make a good MP should his bike shop career not work out.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KHMO14KuJk[/video]

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Haven’t got a picture of the bodged bearing, I do have a receipt from a shop that managed to fix the hacked job for me – and ordered me some cable guides, which turned up next day.

Top job from them.

In rely to Luke – Pinkbike lets you know when a mail you have sent to someone has been read, so I refuse to believe you haven’t read my mails – as I watched when they were read.

And I’m confused that an iPhone wont let you respond to a website written in HTML4. Just to confirm I’ll ask a mate with an iPhone – or if someone on STW would like to check?

Just to add a bit of info…. paid April 26th, Frame arrived May 16th. By STW standards that’s pretty damn slow.

Result = unhappy + £75 out of pocket, and a frame that *could* be worthless.

Mister-P
    Free Member

He didn’t say he hadn’t read them, he says he can view messages but not reply. I have this exact situation with Bikemagic when on my iPhone. However if I was receiving messages from an unhappy buyer I would borrow a computer or go to and internet cafe where I could reply from and try to nip a problem in the bud before it got to this point.

I think selling a frame that uses specific parts such as the cable guides and not mentioning they are not included is rude, I would certainly expect them to be included.

boblo
    Free Member

He says: “none of the guides were included, stated as include, nor were they asked for. as i wasnt using my frame, i gave them to a customer as he had misplaced his”.

OP says: “I bought the frame off him as in pretty much mint condition, and with the bearings just changed and all bolts (except the shock mounting bolts) included”.

No mention of guides OP. Why not post up this bit of the original correspondence especialy where it says the frame is ‘mint’? Did the OP get pics of the frame before parting with his cash? If not, why not? He’s have seen the in/out bearings and missng fixings then…

Sound like six and 2 threes to me…. If the frame was described as ‘mint’ and the bearings needed changing and there are guides missing – it isn’t mint. If the OP didn’t get pics, he should have and is a silly billy.

wwaswas

boblo – if the guides are unique to the frame then as a buyer I would assume that they were included unless stated otherwise.

The seller chose not to mention that he’d given them away, the buyer has done anything wrong.

My view – if the buyer has had to go to a shop to get stuff sorted on a ‘mint’ frame then there’s clearly something wrong. The seller has made no effort to address any requests for a contribution to the costs.

If everything the seller does at the shop is checked then they’re clearly quite inexperienced. It really makes me wonder why they hadn’t completed the build themselves unless they knew there was a problem and just wanted shot of the frame asap.

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Well….

New Bearing Kit On Order

Size Large, Suits Me And I’m 6ft

requires 34.9 post (see ritchey bar/stem/post in my buysell (y))
    internal headset
    , hope should fit easily 🙂

these frames no longer come with carbon swinging arm, unlike this one, this is fully carbon for extra lightweight
    these bikes also now retail at in excess of £2000 for the cheapest carbon frame

grab a bargain :), frame will be fully reassembled before sale, once bearing kit arrives from scott

I’d have said that indicates all that is required in respect to what you expect with a frame is a headset.

Also – fully reassembled, to be – maybe i’m an idiot – means completely assembled. Not a half assed job with bearings half changed and missing covers and washers.

I’ve bought a lot of frames in the past, so I generally ask only the obvious questions – bearing condition, scratches, dents, headset condition, bb thread condition…. not whether it contains a BB cable guide or frame cable guides.

Anyway, I think I am being reasonable in either asking for the repair costs to be covered, or for a refund.

If that’s not reasonable, I’m happy to hold my hands up.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

small claims court maybe?

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

This thread has had the intended response – i.e. the seller now realises this is an important issue – so I’d suggest we take this offline, as this is probably as far as this thread will go before just turning into a bun fight.

Thank you for your comments STW’er, always appreciated – including those opposing my view, it is always good to be challenged, so that I can make sure I am being fair.

Luke, please get in touch via Pinkbike to sort this out.

boblo
    Free Member

Just to be pedantic…. Looking at that advert, I can’t see the word ‘mint’ anywhere.

I agree it would be reasonable to assume stuff will be included, however, as usual Caveat Emptor applies and the OP should have asked for photos of the finished article to confirm his assumptions.

I stand by my 6 and 2 3’s. The OP is responsible for confirming completeness/condition and the seller has been economical with the info he supplied AND he didn’t change the bearings which he committed to do in the advert.

As for the last ‘let this lie’, you brought it up and now we’re all ears. Sorry, this needs to run until it’s resolved.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Name and Shame’ is closed to new replies.