• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by dab.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Naked Wines new voucher. mini-mini rant.
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Any other existing clients get an email voucher for another £40 today? I tried to spend it but was notified that I had to spend £80 before the voucher was valid (no mention of this in the email – it comes up as you complete the transaction).

I suppose they're hoping that you'll say, "Ah well, s0d it, I'll drink it eventually".

Also, I was unable to use the £40 already in my account in conjunction with the voucher – the extra £40 comes off your debit card!

Not impressed – the money in my NW account is mine and I'd like to be able to spend it before shelling more out of my bank account.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Didn't bother then and don't bother now – like all those vouchers – if you just get the cheap offers in the supermarket you'll get a good bottle. We wait for the regular wines which are a bit on the pricey side i.e. Oyster Bay for a 1/3 off then buy 2 boxes and store them away then you don't need those pesky vouchers IMHO 🙂

funkynick

I haven't even got the voucher… so think yourself lucky!

But I think the £80 spend is similar to their previous voucher, and although maybe a little cheeky about not letting you use the money in your account, I understand you can ask for that back at any time. But I guess the idea behind the voucher is to make people spend more, above the money they have already saved into their NW accounts…

user-removed
    Free Member

But I guess the idea behind the voucher is to make people spend more, above the money they have already saved into their NW accounts…

I'm certain that's exactly the idea…. I just don't like it very much…

And Foxy, I've been thinking this ever since I got seduced by the introductory offer. Even after you get your third of your purchase spend back, the wines are still fairly pricey. And the likes of Morrisons quite often have some really good wines at half price or less.

The upsides are; not having to wait for local supermarkets to discount nice wines, having wine delivered to your door, erm… that's about it, so far as I can see.

foxyrider
    Free Member

An encourages you to buy wine you maybe wouldn't have otherwise?

AndyP
    Free Member

you thought about cancelling your DD at all?

user-removed
    Free Member

I'm thinking about it right now.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Most vouchers like that are to get you through the front door. They make their money back on the wines you buy after the discount has been and gone. And no they are not that cheap and you can get pretty nice "cheap" wines now from the highstreet/supermarkets – difficult to find crap wines these days if you pay above the £4 mark in my humble non-winey opinion 🙂

Think i'm going to use this piccy a lot now I made it 😉

ransos
    Free Member

IME, the special introductory offers from Laithwaites, Virgin et al (e.g. £40 for a case) are easily as good as anything you can buy for £5/ bottle in a supermarket.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Mrs Musters buys our wines from Tesco. She looks for the £10+ bottles that are on offer at £5/6. Had some super stuff from there.

foxyrider
    Free Member

IME, the special introductory offers from Laithwaites, Virgin et al (e.g. £40 for a case) are easily as good as anything you can buy for £5/ bottle in a supermarket.

You just answered my point – flip it around and:

"IME, anything you can buy for £5/ bottle in a supermarket are easily as good as the special introductory offers from Laithwaites, Virgin et al (e.g. £40 for a case) " 😉 and you don't have to pay for postage if you get it with your usual shop and you get clubcard type points, and its easy to take the wine back if you don't like it or its off…..

crazy-legs

The advantage of introductory offers from the likes of Laithwaites etc is that you often try out stuff you'd never have tried normally or wouldn't even find in the supermarket. I've only ever had one bottle from Laithwaites that I didn't like.

ransos
    Free Member

"IME, anything you can buy for £5/ bottle in a supermarket are easily as good as the special introductory offers from Laithwaites, Virgin et al (e.g. £40 for a case) " and you don't have to pay for postage if you get it with your usual shop and you get clubcard type points, and its easy to take the wine back if you don't like it or its off….. "

Not really! I've just ordered a case for £45 delivered. That's £3.75/ bottle. Miles better quality than any supermarket plonk I've ever tried at the same price.

They also give you a refund if you don't like it, or it's off. In fact, when Virgin screwed up my last order, they gave me two free bottles.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Fair enough ransos 🙂

I tend to try out bottles in resuaurants and then pick them up in the supermarket or odd bins etc if I can or online – did this with some Delicato wines recently. I just mean that don't get sucked into buying wine you dont wan't or need just because of a voucher where you HAVE to spend £80 IMHO 🙂

davidrussell
    Free Member

i did the virginwines offer last year and got a couple of boxes o plonk for about 80 quid. when they asked for my card details for the "wine bank" i accidentally put in a b0llocks card number so they couldn;t take the cash. when i got sick of them chasing me for the right details i closed the account. I dont think the "vouchers" offer much better value for money that the supermarkets really. and all this crap about sending it back if you dont like it etc is more trouble than its worth, they must count on you not bothering to do it and keeping crap wine.

peteimpreza

The email I got quite clearly mentioned the need to spend £79.99.

ransos
    Free Member

"I just mean that don't get sucked into buying wine you dont wan't or need just because of a voucher where you HAVE to spend £80 IMHO"

Nah, I tart around the main mail order suppliers for the best offer. I usually manage to get a case for under £50. Plus I don't have to go to the supermarket, which is always a big plus!

Admittedly, you do have to remember to cancel subsequent cases, which are never as good value.

user-removed
    Free Member

The email I got quite clearly mentioned the need to spend £79.99.

Really? I read mine through two or three times before posting here, just in case and I'm certain my email made no mention of it. Just went to check but unfortunately it came through as spam mail and I didn't move it to my inbox. Thus, it's deleted.

Perhaps I didn't 'click here to download the pictures' and the info was contained therein?

dab

Morrisons are doing Nobilo Estate – NZ Malborough Sauvinion Blanc

Normally 8/9.99 in the offy

£5.99

very nice indeed ..in fact so nice my xmas cupboard is full of it

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Naked Wines new voucher. mini-mini rant.’ is closed to new replies.