Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Naive question: can I go tubeless?
  • dumbrianlad
    Free Member

I’m not exactly a latecomer to this kind of stuff, just been in retirement for a while and now desperate to get back!

I have 26″ Red Metal 5 (2011) wheels with std Racing Ralph folding tyres that I’m either going to replace or convert to tubeless. What I’d like to know is what the best method is? Will it make a big difference to racing XC?

zero-cool
    Free Member

Yep, I run tubeless without any problems and my rims and tyres aren’t Tubeless versions. This is my preferred method Ghetto tubeless. I have found the standard Stans stuff to be the best so far. I currently use cheap tesco BMX tubes without problems. But for rims with narrower presta valves I’ve just bought cheap Schwalbe presta valved BMX tubes from CRC.

Tom KP

dumbrianlad
    Free Member

Cheers Tom, will check them out.

garage-dweller

I used pretty much that method without the double sided tape.

That article linked above by Tom KP is the best description of the process I’ve seen.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yes

dumbrianlad
    Free Member

Thanks Tom KP, will research further and ditch those pesky inner tubes and rock hard tyres.

anono

I’ve used the exact same combination of Tyres and wheels, and the split inner tube method for a few years now. Works perfectly. Didn’t bother with the double sided tape. Only thing to add is that if the Tyres are brand new it’s worth riding them with tubes in for a few miles to loosen them up a bit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Naive question: can I go tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.