• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Naive DIYtrackworld question
  • DrJ

My top-loading washer has conked out and I need to replace it. Unfortunately all the new models are too high to fit in the gap under the kitchen worktop, so I need to cut a hole in the worktop. Before I make a dog’s breakfast of it, I would lke to know from people who know what they’re doing what tools I should use, or other tips or ideas!

Thanks!

chorlton
    Free Member

If you’re using a jigsaw then get some quality blades and obviously measure twice, cut once.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

front loader?

16mm spade bit for the corners and a jigsaw with a down cutting blade. Will take ages and you need to use a decent jigsaw, not one from asda. expect it to look pretty rubbish too

MarkLG
    Free Member

A jigsaw will do the job, but it’ll look awful if the edge is going to be visible. If you want it to look proper the only way to do it is to use a router with a guide.

Sandwich

Mark out hole on worktop. Drill a hole just inside the line(one if circular, at each corner if square) and then using a jigsaw cut around the line. If you don’t think you can cut with a steady hand cut just inside the line and sand/rasp it to size.
    To stop the off-cut sagging use duck tape to secure it as you go. Jigsaw blade needs to be very fine to avoid splintering the worktop top surface. The usual measure 2 or 3 times and cut once rule needs to be followed.

nealglover
    Free Member

If there is a Worktop above, how would the old top loader have worked ?
    Don’t they have a hinged lid.

Why not buy a front loader that will fit under the Worktop (it’s a popular choice because it works)

DrJ

neal – the old toploader has to be pulled out on its wheels to be used. There isn’t room for a front loader – the gap is too narrow, even though that would of course be a nice solution.

Bit put off by the “rubbish looking results” thing. Maybe I need to “get a man in” 🙁

nealglover
    Free Member

neal – the old toploader has to be pulled out on its wheels to be used. There isn’t room for a front loader – the gap is too narrow, even though that would of course be a nice solution.

Is see, my old top loader was normal width so a front loader slotted straight in.

Bit put off by the “rubbish looking results” thing. Maybe I need to “get a man in”

I would if I were you, worktops can be difficult to get right if you don’t have the right tools/skills etc.

glupton1976
    Free Member

How narrow is too narrow? THere’s bound to be a slimline front loader that fits.

br
    Free Member

Top loading washing machine, and pulling out – what century are you living in? 🙂

My Mum use to do that, 40 years ago.

DrJ

glupton – 45cm 🙁

spooky_b329

Reckon it would be easier to make the adjacent cabinets smaller, assuming there isn’t appliances either side.

andyl
    Free Member

how much height do you need? Normally one like this would give 20mm of clearance with normal kitchen units. http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/product/WTL500P-Hotpoint-Top-Loader-Washing-Machine-White-15495.aspx

DrJ

andyl – that was what I was looking at but although the lid is 85cm high, the control thing makes it almost 90, which is too high.

spooky – thiking the same thing, along with a machine like this one –
    http://www.elgiganten.dk/product/hvidevarer/vaskemaskine/EVO31253D/candy-vaskemaskine-evo3-1253d-s
    which is only 60cm wide

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Naive DIYtrackworld question’ is closed to new replies.