Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Nairobi: where to stay, what to do
  • konabunny
    Free Member

In six weeks I have to go to Nairobi (not Aerobie) for a week, and you people know everything.

1) where should I stay? I can’t afford the best place in town but somewhere with a pool and lovely breakfasts would be nice

2) what should I do there? Tbh when I’ve been to Africa before (generalisation ahead) I’ve never really liked the cities…

globalti
    Free Member

If you’re on business and somebody else is paying, I would recommend the Serena hotel, which is central and rather nice in a traditional African style and has a good pool and super breakfasts. Ask them for a rate, don’t accept the first offer. There is a shortage of guests at the moment all over Africa.

If you’re paying, I guess you’ll need to trawl Tripadvisor.

Nairobi isn’t the same city it was when I first went there in 1995; you could drive round easily and have fun. It’s now just another grossly polluted and overcrowded African city with all the traffic jams, hassle, stress and dangers for the unwary. If you can choose your flights, try to arrive on a Saturday or Sunday so as to avoid the monster traffic jam down Mombasa Road. The airport is OK but Immigration and baggage are still in a temporary setup in a multi-storey car park, which works fine but might give you a bad impression.

You must be on business to be staying in the city for one whole week? PM me if you want further information.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As above be prepared for traffic jams and delays getting to meetings downtown. Real problem on my last visit

Still like the Norfolk (but would be top of the budget). Was there on my honeymoon yonks ago and work paid the last visit a couple of years back. Good old days with offsite split between there and the Vic Falls Hotel!!! 😉 some trip.

Might seem odd but the safari park on the edge of town was surprisingly ok last time I went.

TheDTs
    Free Member

When I went there I was with my (now wife ) girlfriend, she was working for the UN so we stayed near the US and UN complex, whichever was great, slightly out of town and quite leafy. There was a pleasant complex just opposite but I can’t remember what it was called or if it’s still there.

Things to do, see if you can get out for a few days safari, depending on the time of year, lots to see or not a lot.
    We missed the stampede by a week or so but still saw a lot of animals, mostly on the first afternoon of three days safari.

Nearer Nairobi, the orphaned elephant sanctuary was great, baby elephants romping about in the mud, amazing creatures.
    The train museum is quite interesting also. Quite a piece of engineering. And some old trans to climb about on.

konagirl
    Free Member

The Panari has an ice rink (!), but more seriously as above, traffic is so bad you need to stay near where you need to be for meetings.

Tbh when I’ve been to Africa before (generalisation ahead) I’ve never really liked the cities…

+1. Nairobi National Park is ok for a day trip but if you can get yourself a few days free, try and arrange a few days safari to Masai Mara, Amboseli or Tsavo, or head to Arusha for the Tanzania ‘northern circuit’ (the coach takes 5-6 hours or you can fly to JRO). Even though you are too early for the migration, it would still be very worthwhile. Africanbudgetsafaris will give you an idea of cost for a shared safari.

geoffj

The Serena is good, as is the park. If you have a day spare, head out to Naivasha, for a gander at the lake and a drive through Hell’s Gate, which was the inspiration for the location of the lion king.
    Afternoon tea at Elsamere is nice (if they still do it).

craig5

If your a meet eater, go to carnivore just out of town. Loads of exotic meat platters and live music.

konabunny
    Free Member

Thank you all, I appreciate your advice abd suggestions. Unfortunately I won’t be able to get out of town because work is calling the shots on my movements – but I can at least choose where I stay and what I do on a couple of weekend days.

benp1

I went to Nairobi national park on a free work day, and also went to Carnivore. Was good.

There’s a market you can have a wander around and have fun trying to avoid getting ripped off. I went to a proper shop after and bought a few bits. Probably more expensive that a local buying at the market but was still dirt cheap!

Also, buy loads of nuts when you’re there. BA serve ‘out of Africa’ brand nuts, you can buy them in big bags in the shops. Good value and delicious

Jambo

footflaps

Random fact, but I helped design all three of the mobile networks in Nairobi (and still help with remote fault finding)….

If there’s a really tall building with a cell tower on it, I’ve been up there…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9mKU1b]Looking down[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

NB I always stay at The Intercontinental Nairobi

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Nairobi: where to stay, what to do’ is closed to new replies.