Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • NAD 3020 amp, what speakers to go for?
  • s
    Free Member

Just been giving a mint NAD 3020 amp, used to have one many years ago & was chatting to a neighbour about it & he popped over last night, giving me his old 3020 amp that he no longer uses – result!

I have a old Rega Planar 3 record deck & was wondering where should I be looking at speaker wise, years back I used it with a set of Tannoys, sure ther must be some decent modern version worth looking at between, £200-£300?

I know there are far too many variables with hifi & its not top end stuff, but if you have any ideas as to which speakers might be worth checking out, please shout, I am all ears 😉

BlobOnAStick

Been using mine (well, NAD 3225PE) with Mission M70’s. It makes a nice sound.

stumpy01

It’s pretty neutral I think, so I don’t think you’ll go far wrong with any well known brand….

I’ve got a 3020i and have used 3 different sets of speakers with it. They all sounded good.

I’d be looking at something like the Monitor Audio BX1s/BX2s….

stever
    Free Member

My 3120 is joined on to some Kef Coda 8s. Seems to work 🙂

s
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, will have a look into some of the above.

speaker2animals

I’ve got some Monitor Audios that were on my 3020. Lovely rich sound, especially on the Attacama speaker stands I have. All for sale (with good cable thrown in too).
    I’m in Stoke on Trent if you’re interested? Email in profile. £70 for the lot.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother forking out £200-300.

Go on AV Forums and have a hunt around.

Decide if you want bookshelf or floorstanders (which will usually give you more bass) and more sensitive speakers with a signal/noise ratio of 90db+ will give more volume.

There’s a nice pair of B&W 602s on there for £120 for starters.

B&W 602

Otherwise, hunt around for Kef, Mission, B&W, Monitor Audio, Mordaunt-Short etc and you’ll get something good. Get some reasonable cable too, nothing fancy but reasonably heavy OFC Copper would be good.

Most sellers will happily send by courier and the general level of honesty and good trading on there is great.

OR – what speaker2animals said. Sounds like a bargain!

stumpy01

stever – Member
    My 3120 is joined on to some Kef Coda 8s. Seems to work

I had Coda 9s for a while but they had production issues with joining the baffles to the cabinet & after 4 pairs, I gave up & got my money back. I don’t think the 7s and 8s had the same problem.
    It was a shame as they were great sounding speakers.

As above, I meant to mention sensitivity & forgot…I’d be looking at 88db upwards….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Mission 70s for a retro setup.

Or get some NAD speakers and then you can say that you have 3 nads…

diviy
    Free Member

Have a look at the kef q range cheap as chips second hand but a cracking speaker,I used to run my 3020 with some wharfdale diamonds with it and a p3 but that is heavly modded.

lambchop
    Free Member

Recently recomissioned my 20 year old hifi; NAD3020i, Technics CD player, B&W DM110’s with a new Pro-Ject deck. Loving it!!!

The B&W speakers are on permanent loan from a friend as my old Wharfdales didn’t survive the in loft hibernation period.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘NAD 3020 amp, what speakers to go for?’ is closed to new replies.