• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • N=1…..29er hardtail or 29er FS….Don't need both…
  • cjr61

….I know it’s another of those ‘big but really not big’ bike dilemma posts but hey…..

Having a cull as really not riding enough since Jnr arrived and the money would be more use.

I’m a bimbler so tend to ride XC and usual trail centre stuff.

Which am I going to miss the most….

Anthem X29 with 120mm Revs – climbs well and descends well.
    Pace 129 with 100mm Rebas – 853 steel goodness and has versatility.

They both ride great however I’m inclined to sell the Anthem as the Pace does everything I ask of it and has more tinkering capacity (rigid, SS, +tyre, 27.5) just it doesn’t have a back bouncer.

Any thoughts from the wise community? Or am I just painting a target on my chest for general flaming?

Cheers

Chris

weeksy

What’s the Pace actually worth ?

cjr61

Both are great runners but have some issues so value I recon is similar.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Anthem will be more versatile in reality, it’ll be more capable if you have the opportunity to do some more exciting riding, more comfortable for long distance rides and still capable of everything the Pace does. It gives you more options- simply making the Pace rigid will not offer anything extra.

br
    Free Member

Rather than use time available for tinkering, just ride – so sell the Pace.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d go against that and say the pace is the more capable, I’d trust a hardtail on a day of uplifts more than an XC FS even if the FS was faster.

weeksy

Would you really want to ride a HT at a Trail Center ? I guess it depends on waht you class as a TC.. I rode FoD at the weekend on my PArkwood and it was fine…. i’ve ridden a HT at Afan and it was horrible.

cjr61

I should think before I write!

Thanks to ‘pop lakin’ and ‘timbur’ for two very sorted frames though!

thepodge
    Free Member

Put them both up for sale and keep whichever you don’t sell.

No matter which goes you’ll wish you still had it.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Sell both and buy this

http://26bikes.com/shop/parts/frames/enduro-all-mountain/prod/dartmoor-bluebird-29f

More capable, versatile and futureproof (maybe?)

cjr61

That is quite nice fudge….but would probably result in me spending all the proceeds and more!

cp

No matter which goes you’ll wish you still had it.

this. I have an anthem and fully rigid scandal. Anthem mainly sees action in the summer and the fully rigid in winter.

Would be harder to justify the the scandal with sus forks, but they are different enough as is to justify them.

Sell the rebas and run the pace rigid? Maybe also sell a set of wheels and use the same wheels across both bikes?

gummikuh

Which one is easier to put a kiddie seat on the back?

Paul-B

I have had a similar dilemma.

I kept my hardtail. Doesn’t need as much maintenance for a start, as in no frame bearings to keep replacing. You also feel less guilty about putting it away dirty if time is an issue.

For the record I have a Stanton Switchback and ride it everywhere I used to ride my Cube Stereo…it’s a bit more harsh and not quite as fast but way more fun in a painful kind of way!

cjr61

Thanks all. Tempted to agree with Paul B…I’ve always had a soft spot for 853 steel hardtails.

Kiddie seat is going on an old steel giant banger frame from the 80’s.

Cheers all

Ben_H

If you are happy with a little fettling, you can make fewer bikes works quite nicely. By reducing your two MTBs to one, I think you would avoid future costs rather than save loads of money now though.

I ride about 3,500 miles a year and do a lot of different types (MTB, touring, commuting etc). Some people would have a different bike for each.

However, storage space has become the biggest decider in my bike stable as our kids have grown – so I have “just” two bikes: a Cotic Soul 275 and Surly Straggler. (That said, I’m planning to get a Brompton soon!).

My Soul is set up with a rigid fork and singlespeed from November-March and then with 1×11 and boucy forks when it’s dryer. I have two sets of wheels for the Straggler: 28c on lighter wheels and 41c knobblies on heavier ones.

The Soul gets ridden for all sorts of riding and it’s just fine – as I suspect your HT would be.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Full suss with lock out is hardtail-ish. There’s no way of making a hardtail
    “full-suspensery”.

core

I’d keep the hardtail, less maintenance, less to worry about, no fuss.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Would you really want to ride a HT at a Trail Center ? I guess it depends on waht you class as a TC.. I rode FoD at the weekend on my PArkwood and it was fine…. i’ve ridden a HT at Afan and it was horrible.

I’d say TC’s are their natural home, smooth groomed trails with bermed corners so grips never an issue?

Full suss with lock out is hardtail-ish. There’s no way of making a hardtail
    “full-suspensery”.

It’s not really though is it.

It’s not light, it’s not low maintenance, it’s not stiff, it’s probably steeper than it was intended.

deadkenny
    Free Member

cjr61 – Member 
    Having a cull as really not riding enough since Jnr arrived and the money would be more use.

cjr61

Love that deadkenny…although the estate car isn’t a million miles away from the standard issue STW Octavia/Audi!

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d say keep them both unless you can actually get a decent amount for whichever you’d actually sell.

Best case, you sell the full sus and save on rear suspension servicing.

As long as you put your bikes away clean and lubed up, you won’t be spending more maintaining 2 than you would on 1! – things can’t wear out when you aren’t riding them.

Plus, if you have a spare old thing to take the kiddie seat, the hardtail would be the one to go for me, so you’ll save hardly anything.

DezB
    Free Member

N=1…..29er hardtail or 29er FS….Don’t need both…

what is this “need” word?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘N=1…..29er hardtail or 29er FS….Don't need both…’ is closed to new replies.