Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • n+1 time… gravel bike itch to be scratched!
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

22 miles is a long way.

I got a cyclocross for a ~13 mile ish commute.

But I began using the road more and more and stuck road wheel/tyres on it.

This enabled me to get the commute time down to 38 mins (on the best days) when it took 30 mins to drive.

My commute is now 26 miles, I have replaced the cyclocross bike with a proper road bike, which is a bit quicker still.

I do go cycle it offroad sometimes too, but I just use the MTB and it turns into a proper MTB ride.

bob_summers

My vote’s for the Grade. Love mine. My ‘base’ commute is a 20km country lane round trip, but 4 days out of 5 I extend the out leg to 2+ hours – to avoid boredom I mix this up between off-road trails, minor cement roads, and lanes, with an adjustent of tyre pressure it’ll do all except full-on MTB (which I’ve done, as I don’t mind the odd bit of hike a bike). I’ve also done flat out Sunday chaingangs, but the heavy wheels and wide ratio spacing make this a chore. I live in a hilly area so plenty of opportunity to use the 36×32.

Mine is the 105 – I borrowed the Ultegra one for a couple of months from my LBS before buying the bike, but thought Ultegra was overkill for what I wanted, and the wheels would get upgraded anyway. The 105’s Formula hubs aren’t great, but easy to replace bearings, and the headset died within months. The original tyres are about done, so looking into replacing them with tubeless.

For ‘guards I use SKS Bluemels, 35mm, which could be wider to keep some water off my feet, and I’ve ordered some Crud Mk3s to see if they’re better. I want ‘guards to be reasonably easy to remove/refit. Wrap the seatstay with helitape before fitting the ‘brake’ bridge adaptor as mine wore the carbon down on the seatstays.

If Tredz are doing the 105 for 1500, I’d have one in a flash and use the change for some Hunt wheels.

belugabob
    Free Member

If only these were being imported into the UK
    http://www.wilier.com/en/products/int/gravel/jaroon

They are…
    Where are you based? I’ll find out who your local Wilier dealer is… [/quote]

Well, that’s changed since July.

I live near Gatwick, and I know that there’s a dealer in Worthing, but I’ve exceeded my new bike quota for the year (just finishing my Kinesis Racelight 4S Disc build, at the moment) so won’t be in the market for a while yet (and then, they won’t be available any more – just like the polished metal version on the Trek CrossRip)

Kamakazie

The Norco Search will be spot on for your sort of riding.
    The geometry is good for long rides (I’ve done 100+ miler on mine without forever damaging my back).

It’s light, very fast with the right tyres on and tough enough to batter round the off MTB loop with a 40c upfront and 35c out back. Can take up to 40c out back as well but a bit tight for the winter. I even raved on it a few times and never felt under biked though I’m aiddle of the pack rider anyway.

If you will be riding off road a fair bit then definitely go tubeless.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I even raved on it a few times and never felt under biked

great image 😉

And the Jaroon is available just around the corner from me

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=22522&Item=’Wilier%20Jaroon%20Rival%202017%20Gravel%20Bike’

igm

Slightly different take, I’m selling a Singular Gryphon that I have been using for a 21 mile commute. It is if nothing else about the right size for you.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/singular-gryphon-large-running-2×10-and-hope-vtwins

Selling it because I wanted a bike that I could match my road bike’s geometry and Gryhons are a little higher at the front end – I got fed up of the first ten minutes of the front feeling higher or lower than expected.

Offers around £450 – try it and see if you like the commute.

I can include a selection of off road and fat road tyres at that price.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I do like the look of the new Orbea and my LBS sells those so always good to support them. Hard to look past a 2016 Grade though I have to say – think the Ultegra is worth the extra with the 240S hubs etc

fatmax

Grade 105 is £1400 at Wiggle, but only limited sizes left. I’m keeping an eye on it to see if the XXL drops any further!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

fatmax – Member
    Grade 105 is £1400 at Wiggle, but only limited sizes left. I’m keeping an eye on it to see if the XXL drops any further!

Sod it, just ordered one! Only had one left in my size and I’ll be procrastinating for weeks unless I just bite the bullet. Decided 105 spec more than adequate for the miles I’ll be doing.

I’ll report back once it arrives and I get out and about on it! Thanks all.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Quick question. I use CB Mallet E’s on my Hightower and although I am not likely to use the same shoes on both bikes all of the time, is there any benefit to running road pedals or should I fit some CB Double Shots or egg beaters?

bob_summers

Good choice! Road pedals no good for me, as I use SPeedplays on-road and they are worse than useless off-road. Definitely SPDs, Crank Bros, ATACs etc if you are going to do even a little off-road.
    I was using the cheapest CB Candy but one recently disintegrated mid-ride, luckily close to a Decathlon so I’m now using their 18eur own-brand SPDs.

Just back from a lunchtime 60km ride in the wet, all either off-road or little cement tracks.. didn’t see a single car for most of it. Lovely!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Cheers – have to admit I am quite excited about it although I think I’d secretly prefer running it in in the summer! Time to MTFU I guess..!!

Which is it the Crud RoadRacer Mk3 you’re fitting?

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘n+1 time… gravel bike itch to be scratched!’ is closed to new replies.