Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • n00b time – Cassettes
  • daleftw
    Free Member

Latest in my series of mildly idiotic threads comes a question about cassettes.

I have an old rear wheel which has a 9 speed cassette on that I use on the turbo trainer (using a mountain bike). However, the cassette is quite worn so I’m looking to change it.

Would I be OK using this – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=69266

It’s in the MTB Cassette section, so I assume it’s OK, just with it being ‘Sora’ want to double check.

Also, might as well tag this on – Would I be OK using a SRAM cassette with an XT mech/derailleur?

Thanks in advance for your patience and your time 😀

nicko74

Yes and yes. ‘Sora’ (as opposed to SLX, XT etc etc) just means it’ll be heavier, perhaps more durable, and less ‘bling’.

And yes, you can use SRAM drivetrain parts (cassette, chain) with Shimano gears and vice versa. You generally can’t mix Shimano and SRAM gears and levers, but cassettes, chains, chainsets should be fine.

highclimber
    Free Member

you can use whatever brand casette so long as your chain will fit on it i.e. 9sp chain for 9sp cassette. not sure about using a road cassette for mtb though I suspect it wouldn’t matter?

daleftw
    Free Member

Cheers people. Just for the turbo wheel, so I’ll purchase. Thanks.

Junkyard
    Free Member

aye what they said i use a mtb one on my road bike [seperate wheel] for turbo duties as it was all I had spare

andyl
    Free Member

I’d get a cassette with the same ratios or you might run into problems with the cassette hitting the large rings.

or just make sure you only use the smaller sprockets.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘n00b time – Cassettes’ is closed to new replies.