Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • N Wales info/routes question (Barmouth/Cadair Idris etc) pls
  • gusamc
    Free Member

Doing N wales this year, staying at Barmouth and the latest OS (124) has quite a lot on it, will be me and gf (who is fit but non technical) so after routes/info for both abilities, but I do have the luxury of car drops off/pickup etc etc,

Will do the Mawddach again- which is brill.

– what the best route from Llanbedr back to Barmouth via Pont Scethin area tracks (ie train out)

– can you lap (as in is the footpath on the W rideable) the Llyn Trawsfynydd reservoir and what is the boat thru Dolddinas about 2 miles to E to widen loop like.

– the marked tracks on W side of Cdair Idris , any recommendations (also train out type things)

– can you go from Pen-y-bryn, N to Hafod-y-Brehin,footpath E, to join dead end bridleway N to Ffidd-bryn-coch to main road

– any other must do laps or descent one ways, or must drive roads or places to visit etc that you can suggest

Thanks

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Only legally ridable route on Cadair Idris is the Pony Path, up and back the same way. Excellent route though, 80% ridable up and a fairly easy gradient mostly. Technical back down on the top section, then eases off after some man made steps. A friend of mine has ridden the Minffordd footpath on a cheeky ride and described it as a real techfest, and he’s very good. I’d like to give it a go on a quiet day.

The guys in the Dogellau bike shop recommended a route up to Sylfaen (north of the Mawddach from Barmouth on the road, the north to the top of the woods, then back down to Bontddu on the forest trails. I was told to do it on a dry day cos of some off camber rocky sections.

Not sure about your other questions, but might be worth looking up some routes in the Dyfi forest which is near by.

cadairviewlodge
    Free Member

From Llanbedr back to Barmouth I assume that the route is going to more or less follow the Ardudwy Way I know that he footpath is very boggy in places and I assume that the old coach road section might be quite technical going up it (I’ve only ever walked down).

Did you say that you have got transport or haven’t? You are very near the trail centre at Coed y Brenin… plenty of circular routes there.

The new downhill routes are scheduled to be open at Llechwedd at Blaenau Ffestiniog in July. You could get thee by train from Barmouth (via Porthmadog).

We’ve just teamed up with Campbell Coaching and are hoping to get some guided wild riding arranged across private land on the Coed y Brenin side of the Rhinogs by the Summer.

Speak to Steve at Beics Brenin who has lots of information about local conditions and routes.

Hope that helps and have a brilliant time… loads of great riding in the area.

Sue
    Cadair View Lodge Ltd

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘N Wales info/routes question (Barmouth/Cadair Idris etc) pls’ is closed to new replies.