Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • n minus 1 – the austerity bike-owning strategy
  • brooess
    Free Member

My Orange Five hasn’t been used for a year and I was starting to get bored of it even before then.
    I ride road a fair bit these days and the full suss feels like such a drag up hills in comparision, and my Cotic Soul is such a great bike to ride that I’m thinking of ditching the full suss completely. I could do with the space in my spare room, and the cash too…
    I ride mainly in Surrey Hills and full suss not really needed there IMO. Even when I was living in Manchester earlier in the year I got the Soul out every time I went to the Peaks. I have mates in the Lakes who I ride with a few times a year when a full suss would be helpful but I guess I could always just MTFU/borrow one.

Anyone else left full suss behind and regretted it?

ChrisL

I ditched a Rocky Mountain ETS and a short travel hardtail for a Cotic Soul and then a Pace RC303 for a few years. I eventually got a 5 (and have changed bikes some more since then) but while it’s nice to have the options that having multiple bikes provide I don’t think there’s anything terrible about only having a hardtail.

nbt

i rode hardtail only for a few years – at one point I had 2 ss and one geared, but that was silly so I got rid of one ss.

then I got an FS and now I’ve got rid of the geared hardtail

things come and go, no problems getting rid of fs for a while. you can always buy another one next year

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Never owned a full sus…

rode a short travel race machine for a day, but other than that it’s hardtail all the way! I just MTFU when in the hilly country with mates!

_tom_
    Free Member

I find FS fun and confidence inspiring prefer the simplicity and solid feel of a hardtail. Just don’t like the sloppy/noodly feel you have when you stand up and pedal on a FS (or maybe my fs is just a really flexy example). I’ll be going back to a HT as my only mtb soon, we’ll see if it lasts!

Northwind

I’ve downsized a little recently and not regretted it at all… But if I was to go all the way down to one mountain bike it’d be a full suss, for the riding I do currently. Very much a matter of taste and personal use though.

deets

That’s uncanny – I’ve not ridden my Orange 5 since building a Cotic Soul either. I’ve ridden all the trails I always thought I needed FS for, inc Peaks, Lakes etc and enjoy it just as much and don’t feel disadvantaged compared to my FS mates at all. Maybe I’m just getting better as a rider.

I’m planning some heavy hike-a-bike routes this Lakes this summer though, so hopefully the 5 will earn its keep.

Klunk
    Free Member

not ridden my fs for four year since getting a soul, just sooo much more fun and grin inducing. Fit is perfect, great for short fun blasts, great for all day epics. Love the trail chatter from the rear end on rough rocky stuff, love the lazy boy riding position. Can’t see any reason to ride anything else.

orena45

Rode my Trek Fuel EX8 almost exclusively for 3 years then decided to build up a Ragley MmmBop a year ago as a 2nd/playing about on bike. Fast forward to now, and the EX8 has been stripped and ready for sale as the Ragley became no. 1 simply down to it being more fun to ride.

My plan is however to get a Five next year to replace the Ragley as my only bike, but I get fleeting thoughts of ‘Why bother?’. I’d say the only time I miss rear suspension is on loose, rocky, pedally sections on flat/uphill bits but very rarely on downhill stuff.

br
    Free Member

Had an 06 S-Works Enduro (before that a EX8) and an XC race bike, went to a steel 456 and now I’ve been riding a 456Ti for 2 years.

Don’t miss the FS at all.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve done some right bike ditching this year I had ragley blue pig, turner five spot, surly karate monkey, Sabbath September ti, on one pompino and a surly crosscheck. I now only have the pompino and crosscheck and don’t miss the other bikes one bit

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I could never get rid of a bike.

I spent nearly 3k on my Pitch Pro. Every part was upgraded. I haven’t ridden her in 8 months or so… but she will be ridden again. What is nice about letting her sit about, is she hasn’t become history. I like that Specialized have essentially made the same Pitch frame for 3 or so years.. some full suss designs come and go so quickly, too quickly. Some designs are over before you really get to ride them..

Del

since i ripped the headtube off my ss frame, i’ve dropped the alfine hub out the P7, made that the ss, and have no intention of replacing the geared ht, leaving me with the 5 and the p7 ss.
    the 3 mtbs had been built with the same brakes, similar forks etc, which basically means i have a bike’s worth of spares in hand.

flip
    Free Member

Sold this for plenty dollar:

Bought this:

And this:

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I love that Cindercone colour.

xcneil
    Free Member

I only ride/race hardtails, flat bars etc & at times I really have had to MTFU national xc champs 09 springs to mind, I have tried short travel fs but found they bob to much plus there’s nothing like getting the jump on someone when you get out the saddle and samp on those pedals …:)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘n minus 1 – the austerity bike-owning strategy’ is closed to new replies.