Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • N +1
  • wombat

Does the well established principle of n+1 apply to items other than bikes?

SWMBO has informed me this evening that I have “too many” work shirts and I need to refute this outrageous suggestion

piemonster

Certainly applies to running shoes

racefaceec90

YES

😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MoreCashThanDash

Have you asked SWMBO is it applies to handbags or pairs of shoes?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Certainly applies to running shoes

Not sure 9 running shoes would be much use to me…

MSP

How many work shirts do you have?

1 isn’t enough, 3 is too many, so if you have 2 then you are in a strong position to argue your corner.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If your work shirts are short sleeved and with a pocket, then begin subtraction immediately.

If they are double cuffers, then carry on! One can never have too many good shirts! Circa 50 or so in my collection at present.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Man need work shirts, you buy more 8)

wombat

MSP & CFH

Good cotton, mostly double cuff…current count, 17…a cull is likely over the weekend to bring it down to enough for 3 weeks (that’s a reduction of 2 shirts to bring the total down to 15 😉 )

I am clearly not trying hard enough in this particular endeavour

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve been beaten to it with the guitar post above. I’ve got 4 strats, 3 SG’s, a Les Paul + a few others. Only one bike though, but am starting to think of getting another.

lunge

Work shirts I’d agree with, I’ve got easily twenty, all long sleeves and no pockets, the odd single cuff though, sorry CFH!
    Shoes for me as well, I’ve got 50+ pairs.
    Watches as well, I’ve not got loads but I always want more.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

15 shirts? 15?

Man alive! This must end! It must end now.

Once a chap has five plain white and five decent subtle blues, one needs some decent stripes, a few good checks and then some other simple colours. You’re going to need at least three pink (Not Pink, though. Quality has gone) and might I suggest something as bold as a yellow?

Either way, fifteen is nowhere near enough.

wombat

I curently have a single plain white shirt (and a decent dress shirt natch), a few blues, stripes (blue, red, pink) a couple of checks as well as plain blues and plain pinks.

I think we need a separate thread for ties….

bikebouy
    Free Member

What we all need is a bloody good Dry Cleaner, I’m sick of washing shirts and MrsBouy is steadfast in her attitude not to wash/iron them..

I’ve been debating whether to go single or find a replacement or go back to Mum 😆

ads678

Surely a man needs no more than 5 ‘work’ shirts?

Drac

If they are double cuffers, then carry on! One can never have too many good shirts! Circa 50 or so in my collection at present.

Do you still drive your Ford Probe?

matthewjb
    Free Member

N+1 clearly applies to watches.

bikebouy – Member
    What we all need is a bloody good Dry Cleaner, I’m sick of washing shirts and MrsBouy is steadfast in her attitude not to wash/iron them..

T M Lewin non iron shirts FTW.

molgrips
    Free Member

I hate double cuffs. However Lewins non-iron really do work. Haven’t ironed a shirt in 2.5 years.

maccruiskeen

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAKgDyEScXs[/video]

ourmaninthenorth

I agree with CFH on many matters sartorial, but can never agree on double cuffs. Single cuffs, with two buttons every time.

I don’t have fifty though. Little point at the current shop.

batfink
    Free Member

I have about 3 weeks of TM Lewin double-cuffers, and laundrette just around the corner who washes and irons them for about 1.50 a time….. haven’t plugged in the iron for years now.

Unfortunately I’ve just taken delivery of my first tailored shirt (for my wedding)…. it’s awesome. This is going to get expensive.

I think the part of me that’s still a 8 year old boy (ie 99%) always wants N+1 penknives, torches, keyrings, stuff like that – good job they are cheaper than tailored shirts

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My shirt collection was created due to lots of travelling and dodgy washing machines. At times I was known to go straight from the office on a Monday night and buy 4 shirts…

A lot are coming to the point of replacement but thankfully my office days are limited.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

With CFH on shirts n+1

Harvie & Hudson ftw

Lewins have gone downhill, like Hawes & Curtis.

Nobby

You can never have too many work shirts.

This has come up previously so I pointed out to Mrs Nobby that the number of shirts made no difference to the washing/ironing volume – that was only affected by the number of days actually ‘at work’.

By having a plentiful supply my need to go shopping is greatly reduced leading to a reduction in fuel costs (and the impact on the environment) and I am less likely to end up inside for beating any of the living brain-dead people that tend to frequent shopping centres, to death, with their own shoes.

Strangely, it was the latter argument that won the day :-/

wwaswas

I spend half the morning working in a dressing gown.

I’ve never felt any particular need to apply n+1.

Rest of the day is jeans and a t-shirt. You can’t have too many t-shirts 🙂

boltonjon

Hmm – interesting thread – so thought i’d check out Harvie & Hudson.

£70 for a shirt???

50 of them???

Jesus wept 🙁

edd

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    …five plain white [shirts]

Why would anyone want 5 plain white shirts unless you work for IBM? The only shirts that should be plain white are dress shirts.

_tom_
    Free Member

Guitars, although my collection has been at 2 electrics, one acoustic and one bass for ages since I find I always go for the same kinda sound anyway! Wouldn’t mind a tele though..

Why does anyone need that many shirts though? I guess it makes sense if you have that sort of job but still 50 seems a bit much. I have 5 I think with only one being an actual “smart” shirt.

wingnuts

Whilst we seem to have got stuck in a sartorial backwater could we venture towards N+1 of those we dress to impress?

bikebouy
    Free Member

£70 for a shirt is not a lot of money 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

Not just guitars – cymbals too. You only need one ride and one pair of hi hats, but N+1 definitely applies to crashes, splashes and other FX cymbals

JEngledow
    Free Member

I don’t see the point in having any more than 10 or so shirts or T-shirts (excluding specific dress shirts, biking tops etc) as I find myself going back to ‘favorites’ every time they magically reappear in the wardrobe. I’d have to buy a much larger washing basket to ever get down to the 50th shirt!!

jimoiseau
    Free Member

You only need one ride

Actually I find that if there’s one thing n+1 applies to, it’s this…

captaincarbon
    Free Member

About to puchase rotovator number 7, they will soon outnumber the bikes! 😐

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Boltonjon – Harvie & Hudson usually £25 – 45 quid if you wait for the sales/offers. About the same as Lewins/M&S smarter offerings, and rather better. I wouldn’t pay £70, and love Tackymaxx…

tuffty
    Free Member

£70 for a shirt is not a lot of money

It might not be to you but it is to us manual worker types 🙂

Drac

You pay for your work clothes?

wwaswas

You pay for your work clothes?

you have to wear work clothes?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I work at hone 4 days out of 5. Jeans & t-shirts for me. In theory I therefore only need 1 work shirt. In practice I have about 4 or 5

Drac

you have to wear work clothes?

Well being naked wouldn’t be a great career move.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘N +1’ is closed to new replies.