Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Mystery wheel loosening in the night….
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

The last couple of weeks I’ve been commuting on my Whyte Shoreditch. It lives outside and when I wheel it down the path in the morning either the rear disc is binding or the tyre is rubbing on the non drive side chainstay.
    I can sit on the bike and the wheel won’t pop back into the driveside dropout until I loosen the QR. So how can it undo itself in the night?
    It’s not being twiddled by anyone and it is driving me bonkers.
    Any ideas? The QRs are Superstar ti/carbon. The frame is alloy, the hubs are Shimano. Could there be some different expansion rates of different metals at work here?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d be swapping those QRs out pretty quickly if I were you. Get some Shimano ones in there. That’s no place to sav weight anyway.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

No weight saving intended. They look pretty. And are three years old and have never done this on any other bike.
    Spooky. 😯

tomd
    Free Member

Most likely those QRs. Only other thing would be if somehow the frame dropouts aren’t flat which is helping the wheel pop out.

kraftyone
    Free Member

check all of the fixings around the drop outs are tight. I had a similar thing last week and there were two bolts that had come slightly loose allowing play in the rear wheel, and rubbing against the frame.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Mystery wheel loosening in the night….’ is closed to new replies.