Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mysterious Phone Charging Cable
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A charging cable I have (older style iPhone, bought cheap from eBay, so not an OEM one) which seems broken seems to work, but only when I’m asleep. If I plug it in, the phone doesn’t make the charger-plugged-in-sound, nor does the screen show the charging symbol. I can’t use it as a syncing cable.

However…and I’ve tried it over a few weeks now…

If I plug it in and I have, say, 29% battery when I go to bed, it’ll have juiced up a bit by the morning, but never to 100%, usually a random figure maybe 20 or 30% higher than it was when I went to sleep. When I pick the phone up in the morning, the charging symbol is never showing but the % battery will always have increased a bit. 😕

WTF is going on?

seven
    Free Member

demonic possession?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

The new ios7 seems to detect non-OEM chargers.

Some chargers won’t work at all, some will charge but will stop the screen working and won’t show the battery actually charging.

Not sure about not fully charging, maybe your battery is on it’s way out?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I wondered if it was this, but the other ones that haven’t broken work like OEM ones. Tbh, it’s the random charging figure by next day that’s creeping me out. 🙂

maybe your battery is on it’s way out?

Maybe it’s just tired after a long day and charges better during the day.

almightydutch
    Free Member

We’ve had some in the office where if you turn over the part going into the phone itself then it charges, turn it back the other way and it doesn’t.

jam-bo

low ampage, trickle charging rather than fast charging.

its like if you plug an ipad into a PC usb port. It tells you its not charging but if you leave it long enough on standby then it does.

unovolo
    Free Member

Had something similar with a Ipad but using genuine Apple cables,
    The cables were fine it was actually the charging port on the device itself.

Had exactly the same symptoms, would trickle charge over 24hrs but not indicator on screen to say it was charging and the same when plugged into the computer ,not recognised and nothing happening with iTunes.

Only way to fix it was to open the ipad up and replace the connector/charging port.

CountZero

Sorry, but nah. I’ve got getting on for a dozen different 32-pin cables, Apple, Belkin, anonymous ones, and all of them work perfectly with my iPad and my iP4, which both have iOS 7 installed. One has the outer plastic sheath broken, has been for a couple of years, still works fine.
    The issue may be that one of the inner wires has fractured, and won’t pass enough current to trigger the charge sequence, but the break, at rest, is small enough to allow a small amount of current to trickle past the break.
    It might also be dirt or something contaminating the 32-pin connector, causing a similar problem. Might be worth giving the connector blade a good scrub over with meths or isopropanol, see if it makes a difference.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mysterious Phone Charging Cable’ is closed to new replies.