Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Mysterious hole in my leg
  • logical
    Free Member

I found what looks like a bite on the back of my leg when I got home yesterday. Was really painful and weeping clear stuff. This morning its all swollen and still really painful and weeping.
    It doesn’t feel like a bite or a sting. Any ideas what it could be?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Aids?

Nomad
    Free Member

Pics please

carlphillips
    Free Member

aids +1

or a splinter..but most probably aids…pics?

logical
    Free Member

Well here’s a picture. I don’t think it’s Aids. It wasn’t there when I left work but had appeared when I got home. I didn’t catch my leg on my pedal either.

Nomad
    Free Member

Bot fly lava?

daveagiles
    Free Member

Defiantly a bot fly. Make sure you video the extraction.

logical
    Free Member

Bot fly lava?

As much fun as that maybe I don’t think they are very prolific in Bridgend.

duntstick
    Free Member

Could be a spider bite.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

The fact that is looks so bad so quickly, I’d get that looked at ASAP, and I’m normally a suck it up stiff upper lip type.

derek_starship
    Free Member

You are Georgi Markov and I claim my £5.

logical
    Free Member

I don’t have £5!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Get it looked at by a professional.Could be nothing, could be a staph infection which would not be good.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Being serious now. I would definitely get a medic to see that. It could go very bad if it’s a bacterial infection.

unklehomered
    Free Member

But get us pictures of whatever parasitic nasty they pull out…

logical
    Free Member

I’m hoping there is a bug in there 🙂 I can keep it in a jar then and show my grandkids. Along with the dead limb

retro83
    Free Member

Black widow bite, they are common in the UK now after being accidentally shipped over in a consignment of tyres

Tinners

Logical – that looks like quite an area of redness around that hole (difficult to work out scale from that pic). I think that you would be perfectly justified in phoning your Dr to arrange to see them so that they can take a look at that. I’m guessing that nobody could tell you exactly how you did it or what did it, but my leg looked exactly like that after I’d incorrectly (thinking it was a blob of black grit) swiped a tick off the back of my leg. I had a very well defined hole where the tick was attached but my rash looked different to yours. My Dr was quite well informed and was alert to Lyme and treated accordingly.
    I’m not suggesting yours is anything to do with Lyme (although awareness is important) but I think that you ought to get a Dr to look at that in case you need antibiotics. I’d have no hesitation in giving them a ring today if that red area is as big as it looks. A pal of mine lives in Bridgend and I think there’s an out of hours Gp service next to casualty in the Princess of Wales, but he says that you have to phone them first and they give you a time to turn up.

tonyd

+1 doctors. Good call on the tick, likely candidate I’d have thought (not that I’d know)

logical
    Free Member

I shall call them after work. The red area is quite hard and the size of a 10p. Not sure about a tick as not been off road this week so it has to be something off the road or on a train. Although there are people using train to get to Afan and places like that. Could a tick live on a train seat for a while?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’d be very wary if its a’ defiant’ Bot Fly, they are similar to normal Bot Flies, but with a massive chip on their shoulder

Go to your nearest walk-in centre for them to have a look

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tiger snake bike….google it just stay calm

pitduck
    Free Member

mosquito,will get worse,happens to me every time,germoline and anti histamines 🙁

mikey74
    Free Member

As pitduck, it looks like a mossie bite you have accidentally scratched too hard and taken the head off. This can make them pretty inflamed and they can get infected if you are not careful.

tymbian
    Free Member

Looks to me a bit like a spider that burrows. Happened to a friend in Amsterdam, only difference is as e eventually felt it ( think they release numbing agents ) we could only just see spider-legs in the hole.

Why don’t you leave it and post daily pics ( at this stage, later hourly ) of the infection. 😀

roper
    Free Member

As others have said it’s probably an infected bite you have scratched.

I’m not sure if any bugs in the UK have nectrotic venom but it looks similar to necrosis. Your options could be a bite from a false widow Steatoda nobilis which are native to some parts of the UK but dont really turn black. A more exotic option could be a Mediterranean recluse spider bite loxosceles rufescens . They are definitely necrotic but probably not native to the UK. If it was a false widow you would probably have felt the bite. If it was a recluse you might not notice right away. The recluse bite is significantly worse out of you two.

If the hard area around the hole starts to turn black then it could be your second option. Which is good as it might show the UK is getting warmer. 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Roper we really need another spider thread, sorry to hijack.

notlocal
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEeMJgV75nQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

monogramman
    Free Member

I can’t believe nobody has called dibs yet.

hairyscary

It looks similar to a bite I had when I worked in an RAF engine bay (engine coming in from hot and sunny places). The bite looked like an ulcer after 4 hours and I felt ill, after 8 hours I was taken to hospital and given my own pressurised room on lots of anti biotics.

I’d phone a doctor.

roper
    Free Member

Pigface, I will go through some photos and post one

tacopowell
    Free Member

Squeeze it!

carlphillips
    Free Member

i had a thorn in my leg that looked like that for ages, poked squeezed etc nothing came out but it wouldnt heal up…went at it with a scalpel and some vicious squeezing and out popped the thorn, thought it was a bite at first.
    yours looks identical, and a tad infected judging by the surrounding erythema.

ian martin
    Free Member

I found a similar hole in a similar place once and I was told it probably was a Cleg (horse fly) bite.
    It took ages to completely heal but there wasn’t really any pain.

njee20
    Free Member

That does look pretty nasty. I’d definitely be getting that seen considering its developed pretty quickly, and I’m definitely in the ‘MTFU’ camp.

I find that abscess video strangely compulsive viewing. Wtf caused it though?!

boxelder

Guinea worm

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

That video 😯 and

2orangey4crows

Isn’t that a classic ‘bullseye’ tick bite?

Get to GP for a check. I had the same a couple of years back, went to the GP and was tested for Lymes (I didn’t have it!).

argoose
    Free Member

+1 for Dr
    Also you got to post WTF caused that!

lasty
    Free Member

Id go for a burrowed tick, get medical advice asap ….
    On the bright side its not on your nuts, where i found one last year 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Mysterious hole in my leg’ is closed to new replies.