Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mysteries of the body
  • SaxonRider

At the beginning of summer, I was 79kgs, and pretty fit, having ridden almost every single day for an entire year. Then I hurt my back fairly badly, and was unable to ride for 8 weeks.

Over that time, I ate a fair few Belgian frites, and drank a fair few Belgian beers.

Happily, I didn’t put on much weight (only 1kg), but my body has changed significantly (or so it seems).

Whereas, I had a pretty firm chest and tummy in June, I look in the mirror now and see quite a bit of pudge. And I would definitely say more than a single kg’s worth.

I am mystified. How can my weight have remained relatively stable, but my shape have changed so radically in two months?

In any case, I am now easing my way back onto the bike, so whatever the case, I am hoping to be back to my fit-self in the next month or two.

simondbarnes

Muscle wastage, fat increase. Simple 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Over that time, I ate a fair few Belgian frites, and drank a fair few Belgian beers.

In Belgium?

[video]https://youtu.be/FohzGNEDegQ?t=30[/video]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vickypea
    Free Member

Hope your back’s feeling better

Suggsey
    Free Member

You will have lost muscle tone too, my shoulder issue caused my mood to drop along with my shoulder blade.
    The day after surgery when I had it out the doing, my bicep was back along with my grip strength, my shoulder blade lifted and my pec was no longer a moob. It’s only been two and a half weeks post arthroscopy bug I’m already back on the bike, doing sissy press ups pain free.
    And it’s bloody fantastic 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Muscle wastage, fat increase. Simple

Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. OP I am famiiar with this having ridden relatively little for 6 months, I am 2kg heavier but a lot more cuddly 😐

slowoldman

Muscle weighs a lot more than fat.

Exactly. I weigh pretty much what I did at my strongest about 25 years ago, but it’s now just a roll of flab around my abdomen as opposed to muscles on arms, back and legs.

DrP

It’s true muscle weighs more than fat.
    A kilo of muscle actually weighs loads more than a kilo of fat.
    About twice as much…

😉

DrP

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

In any case, I am now easing my way back onto the bike, so whatever the case, I am hoping to be back to my fit-self in the next month or two.

It’s irreversible mate. Once that pudge appears it’s there forever.

hammyuk
    Free Member

One of those strange things.
    Muscle is heavier than fat by more or less the same percentage as the percentage of fat that makes up a ladies boob.

scaredypants

A kilo of muscle actually weighs loads more than a kilo of fat.

I forget which way round, but isn’t a pound of gold lighter* than a pound of feathers ?

* or heavier

(**) or something

scaredypants

NB, that (**) was in no way a representation of boobies, moobies or any other gender-related appendages

scaredypants

still, push-up parentheses – phwoar !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mysteries of the body’ is closed to new replies.