Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mynydd y Lan above Crosskeys/Sirhowy
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Looks like a lot of Strava activity on the track up to the radio mast on the west side, but the steep bit on the east side seems to have much less activity. It looks like people ride down the steepside, presumably there’s tech singletrack in the woods on that side?

I tried to ride up the zig-zag fire road on the east side last night. One of the steepest sustained trails I’ve tried in a long time! Then got lost a bit on top.

welshfarmer

You mean Machen Masts 🙂 Popular and very steep trails. Not tried them myself as I always had something else on when the boys went down there. But am reliably informed that I would love them (though always said with a huge grin or a belly laugh!!!)

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought Machen masts was on Machen Mountain? These are different masts.

https://binged.it/2D8IpiL

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    welshfarmer

Ah yes, I missed the Mynydd Y Lan bit in your title, sorry, and just assumed you were on the other side of the valley. I seem to recall talk of a really steep zigzag climb on the forestry road over there too.

Hmm, not heard of the trails you were on but sounds like I need to go and investigate 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Please come down and join me – more fun with two 🙂

Still bags of stuff left to investigate. But Machen woods might be out of action still. Larch trees were felled, the fire roads seem to be opened up again (saw some walkers) but I think the old trails are still going to be in trouble.

dirtyboy

Most of the Machen trails were destroyed by the felling, there was a lot of amazing stuff there.
    Try looking at the miggly moos Facebook page, and there was a Machen trail builder’s page but I’ve dumped Facebook so unknown if it is still active.

molgrips
    Free Member

I chatted to someone who suggested they would rebuild them. Should probably lend a hand. In the meantime there’s more stuff than ever in Cefn Pwll Du, although it’s not steep; and Sirhowy Valley Country Park, which is.

enigmas
    Free Member

Email in profile molgrips if you want some routes.

jonundercover
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a really steep trail up there and a more flowy one. I need to explore it more really but it’s a bugger of a climb.

kiksy
    Free Member

I tried to ride up the zig-zag fire road on the east side last night. One of the steepest sustained trails I’ve tried in a long time! Then got lost a bit on top.

If you’re talking about where I think you are, there is a ton of moto tracks but not quite so many mtb tracks.

I don’t know how people manage to loop those trails, as you say, that climb is meaty!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mynydd y Lan above Crosskeys/Sirhowy’ is closed to new replies.