• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GW.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • mynydd du?
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwfDOE-LWM0[/video]

anyone rode here latley??

whats it like can u do and xc loop with it?

mikey74
    Free Member

Funnily enough I was down that way in November for a family thing and wanted to get some DHing in, and this was one place I was looking at. I got the general impression that it’s not really there any more, although I may be wrong.

I ended up going to Gethin and had a great time :mrgreen:

seanoc
    Free Member

Last time I was there I snapped the back off my Intense M1. Boo!

Best and most difficult track on the Dragon circuit. There is a couple of loops there but if you’re going solely for the DH then I’d just ride up the fire road or push up the track.

I think there are FC gates crossing the track at every fire road crossing, there’s three of them, which used to be a pain if you wanted to put in a full run. It’s such an ordeal to push up it’s unlikely you’ll want to do a full run. Spend a riding fast through the muddy rooty section and you will become a better rider.

It’s nothing like cwmcarn, gethin, or any other race venue around here…..it’s hard work in every way.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Diawl
    Free Member

It’s still there but it’s in poor shape since the Dragon Downhill series folded as it hasn’t been maintained. Last time I was up there the middle section was practically unrideable. It’s the only course where I never crashed out. Plenty of riding up that way though.

ETA – I wouldn’t bother unless it’s been dry for at least a week.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s not really there any more, the forestry worked the forest, so trashed it years ago. It must be 4 years since anything was done to the place.

Shame, as it was an awesome track!

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s nothing like cwmcarn, gethin, or any other race venue around here…..it’s hard work in every way.

I’d say Gethin was pretty hard work top-to-bottom, particularly in the wet.

flatfish
    Free Member

noticed lots of forestry work there last month so i expect theres not much left.

torques
    Free Member

It is miles from anywhere thats the main problem. Lack of access.
    Its at least a 15-20 mins drive from Abergavenny through narrow lanes.

Great XC riding around there.
    The Bearded man event starts and goes through there on day 2.

Ambrose

15-20 mins from Abergavenny through narrow lanes!

dreednya

through narrow lanes!

that’ll be a Welsh A road then :p

seanoc
    Free Member

I’d say Gethin was pretty hard work top-to-bottom, particularly in the wet.

It was in a different league to Gethin though. I’ve raced/ridden Gethin quite a bit and can’t really imagine any particularly hard bits. Hard to maintain speed through the switchbacks at the top certainly, but nothing that as tech as mynydd du. Steep, muddy, rooty slip fest fun was mynydd du with a road gap that seemed utterly impossible.

solamanda
    Free Member

I’ve not raced there for about 4 years. It is alot harder than that video would make you think, as especially at this time of year, long sections of the track turn into steep streams lined with tree roots.

Epic race track. That video makes me want to ride it again.

cubemeup
    Free Member

i think i kight have a look when it drys out then not far from me!!

GW
    Free Member

my 2nd fav UK DH track ever RIP 🙁

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘mynydd du?’ is closed to new replies.