Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • MyFerryLink
  • milky1980
    Free Member

Anyone else recieved the email stating that their crossing is no longer valid?!

Done a bit of digging and it seems like the courts have stopped them trading due to the fact that they’re owned by Eurotunnel and they’re worried about it stifling competition!

Hoping I can get alternative transport sorted, meant to be going on the annual Alps trip on August 1st 😐

milky1980
    Free Member

Bump for the morning weekend crowd.

cheers_drive

Isn’t that why all the French ferry workers were striking? IIRC DFDS are now going to be operating some of the services so it might be worth checking them out.

project
    Free Member

My ferry link was owned and run by Eurotunnel, but due to EEC rules they had to sell it/dispoose of the assets,as they where seen to be a monopoly and just handed the company to another ferry operator, the staff where not properley consulted and went on strike, disrupting the channel tunnel and fighting for their rights on quite a few days, there now appears to be a news blackout about the whole affair.

Book with someone else, or support the workers and go else where on holiday.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-business/county-news/ferry-workers-damage-ships-40174/

milky1980
    Free Member

I thought it was just a general pay and conditions dispute? This is the first contact I’ve had from MyFeryLink since I booked and it transpires they’ve not been trading since July 1st. If I’d known then I could have booked an alternative easily.

As it is I’ve looked around at any alternative crossings and they’re all booked up, including the tunnel. The only option seems to be Portsmouth-Le Havre but that’s nearly £400 this close to departure. I can only hope that they’ve block booked a load of tunnel crossings to give out on a first-come-first-served basis.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP that’s what all the strikes at Calais have been about. MyFerryLink, was Eurotunnel’s attempt at a budget ferry company but it wasn’t working so they sold the boats and the crossings have stopped.

Not sure what dates you want but we’ve been booking Eurotunnel crossing easily at short notice and quite cheap, we’re going over this Sunday evening for example. You may have to be a bit flexible and plan a cheap hotel (eg Formule 1). Best of luck

konabunny
    Free Member

http://www.myferrylink.com/ – top marks for having the corporate mascot (a raccoon?) look sad on the homepage.

Sounds like a pyrrhic victory for the workers.

milky1980
    Free Member

Did spot the racoon thing on the email, did a double-take as it made it look fake!! I’ve only just found out it’s all cancelled as I booked through a third-party via a discount scheme from work and I had no idea who the ferry operator was, contacted them at the time and they said if I didn’t hear anything within the week I should be fine. Obviously not!
    I’m constrained by flexibility by having to work Thursday night but am perfectly willing to take any crossing I can get!

It’s just another problem that I always seem to have when planning holidays, I must be cursed! In the last 6 holidays I’ve:

1: Crashed my new car two days before driving to the Le Mans 24H.
    2: Had the car lunch it’s alternator halfway across France on my 2012 Alps trip, took 24 hours to do a 12 hour drive.
    3: Travelling with friends in 2014 and their car blew a water hose midway through the Alps week and we had a mission to get back home involving 2 hire cars, a taxi and hastily rearranging tunnel crossings as we headed towards it.
    4: Last year’s Alps trip involved turning up at the Travelodge at Ashford for them to be massively overbooked, then to find my debit card was refused at the fuel pumps as my bank had accidentally flagged it as stolen not as being used abroad.

This year so far I’ve had work try to cancel my holiday request due to redundancies, meaning I have to come back a day early this year, and I snapped the chain device two days ago on the bike so have had to order a new one.

Moral of all this, never travel anywhere with me 🙁

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘MyFerryLink’ is closed to new replies.