Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Myers Briggs – whaddya think? What sort are you?
  • geoffj

http://www.16personalities.com

Obviously its not the genuine MB test, but the same sort of thing dressed up in a different way.

Oh and ENFP if anyone’s interested 😛

scotroutes

PITA

jamiep
    Free Member

unvalidated pop psychology, unfortunately adopted by many as fact

Kryton57

Logician for me. I need a sensitive and caring partner, any volunteers?

edhornby

Unsubstantiated b0llkcs

The idea very premise that we have one behaviour type and demonstrate it at all times is daft, people are way smarter with much greater complexity than a simple default position

Kryton57

..some people are way smarter with much greater complexity than a simple default position

FTFY.

I’m pretty much as described, which isn’t necessarily a good thing.

footflaps

ISFJ

According to Myers-Briggs, ISFJs are interested in maintaining order and harmony in every aspect of their lives. They are steadfast and meticulous in handling their responsibilities. Although quiet, they are people-oriented and very observant. Not only do they remember details about others, but they observe and respect others’ feelings. Friends and family are likely to describe them as thoughtful and trustworthy.

About 80% correct, not that interested in people….

piemonster

Logician here.

PMs Kryton 😉

scotroutes

INTJ – Architect

Flaperon

Also INTJ. Have been forced to do three “formal” ones in my lifetime, all have spat out the same result. I consider it a spectacular waste of time.

They did give us the breakdown of the various personality types at our company vs the general population which was mildly interesting. The general population taking the test generates INTJ about 1% of the time; in my role it’s skewed towards 30%.

Having said that, of course:

Rules, limitations and traditions are anathema to the INTJ personality type – everything should be open to questioning and reevaluation, and if they see a way, INTJs will often act unilaterally to enact their technically superior, sometimes insensitive, and almost always unorthodox methods and ideas.

I identify with the above.

TooTall
    Free Member

The idea very premise that we have one behaviour type and demonstrate it at all times is daft, people are way smarter with much greater complexity than a simple default position

I take it you’ve never successfully led a team then.

unknown
    Free Member

Utter garbage, no basis in fact or science whatsoever.

RustySpanner

ENFP – I generally have no idea what’s going on, but you’re all lovely and it’s all very exciting.

nickc

ENFJ Diplomat. pretty accurate

SaxonRider

Utter garbage, no basis in fact or science whatsoever.

I take it that neither of you have actually studied the psychology behind it, then, know much about Jung, or been instructed in Myers-Briggs test itself. 🙄

As an introductory test that reveals aspects of how we each function, it can be both interesting and helpful. It makes no further claims for itself.

INTP here. Pretty much on.

scuttler

550E for me.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Logistician (ISTJ-a)

And a scorpio too.

boblo
    Free Member

ESTJ which is what I usually ‘score’ 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sadly the sceptics have a point here. Much as it pains me to say MBTI while popular and accessible isn’t especially robust. It certainly has close to no predictive validity in terms of work performance and so cannot ever be used as a tool to support a hiring or promotion decision.

The reason it pains me to agree with the sceptics though is that they will be dismissing it without being able to articulate why. The sceptics review all organisational psychology and psychology in general worth the same disdain. They won’t know the science that underpins most psychology.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And a scorpio too.

I could sense that in your aura.

Also, I read it in the cards.

And other such bollocks.

geoffj

so cannot ever be used as a tool to support a hiring or promotion decision.

You’re confusing cannot with should not.

andyrm
    Free Member

DISC is far more accurate than MB as not only does it show dominant patterns/type but also those behaviours we revert to under pressure, so a much more useful tool.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You use something like MBTI to support a decision like that and you’ll be in a tribunal. Ok so maybe someone somewhere has done it but it still breaks any number of employment laws.

DISC is far more accurate than MB

Accurate in what way?

footflaps

so cannot ever be used as a tool to support a hiring or promotion decision.

Ok so maybe someone somewhere has done it but it still breaks any number of employment laws.

Really, what laws are those then?

Plenty of companies use them for hiring decisions, been through it myself several times with job interviews.

DISC is far more accurate than MB

I’d love to see anyone try and design a proper double blind trial for accuracy of any of these tests.

IHN

MTFU, obvs

unknown
    Free Member

Saxon, geetee, I have a degree in Psychology and just last month I finished a masters in Occupational Psychology. For once on here, I actually know what I’m talking about! I know very much the science behind legitimate tools and sadly the damage to their credibility that rubbish like myers briggs causes.

somafunk

Campaigner Efnp-a for me, haven’t got a clue what it means and i won’t lose any sleep over it either.

Kryton57

Piemonster – it’ll never work unless you are the fillipino Facebook girl I’ve taken a shine to. 8)

geoffj

legitimate tools

Got any interesting links unknown?

I’m open minded to this, so any critiques or alternatives would be very useful to have a read around.

TheFopster
    Free Member

ENTP or INTP. Done the full test several times with no great insight imparted. Found birth order more useful in understanding team dynamics.

And top marks to IHN for the MTFU comment above. Now need to do laundry and involuntarily blurting red wine over the duvet. This place can be very funny sometimes…

Pz_Steve

Well I’ve come out with INFP-A, which apparently is a “mediator”. Seems legit.

I once did something similar for a job interview and when I saw the write-up (I got the job) it included the gem: “It is important to ascertain whether Steve’s total lack of achievement to date is due to lack of opportunity, or lack of ability”!!

Nice…. (I hate to think what the unsuccessful candidates were like)

MaryHinge
    Free Member

INTP here

Did it twice in two years with the same result.

One accurate description was that an INTP cannot decide what to have from a menu. Spot on.

So now I am VERY decisive on what to have from a menu, so I might well be something different now!

It was a quite interesting exercise with a team of 30 plus, and then we did the stand arounde the room in a certain order and see who is diagonally opposite. I was diagonally opposite a complete control freak, who I got on very well with despite being polar opposites. Which was interesting as we complemented each other whilst frustrating each other at the same time.

So I’m a skeptic who was mildly converted. Or am I just indecisive?

leffeboy

ENFP-A which didn’t tell me anything I didn’t know really. I guess the interesting bit was that it would have given a prospective employer a good picture of me in 10 mins which is quite clever

…assuming that I wasn’t trying to screw it up of course.

scotroutes

Easy to scoff at these things but the test(and I mean the full one) does seem to through up consistently accurate results and I’ve had other folk correctly guess my “type”.

unknown
    Free Member

Don’t make the mistake of confusing reliability with validity. A broken compass could consistently point north when I’m facing east, it’s reliable but not valid.

As for accuracy… the test asks you what you’re like, you tell it what you’re like ( based on meaningless binaries), then it tells you what you’re like (based on meaningless binaries). Throw in a bit of confirmation bias and of course it seems accurate. It’s still total guff though.

dufusdip
    Free Member

The man has made an utter fortune from selling this and Situational Leadership to gullible HR departments of large companies.

Mildly interesting but also mildly patronising to believe everyone can be pigeon holed into four broad brush groups. Or are the psychologist creating boxes for us to identify with and feel comfortable to work within those parameters…

geetee1972
    Free Member

The man has made an utter fortune from selling this and Situational Leadership to gullible HR departments of large companies.

That ‘Man’ would be Katherine Cook Briggs and Isabel Briggs Myers.

Unknown – clearly we are in entire agreement on this subject. Drop me an email as I work in the industry and we are hiring currently for instructional designers and a background in Org Psych is precisely what we need.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Ha ha! I stand corrected

Sorry must have dropped off as it was being shovelled.

midlifecrashes

I
    B
    T
    L
    🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I worked for years in a company that published, amongst other things, a 32-scale Personality definer.

Passed all the training courses in administration and interpretation, feedback and reportage…

I can confidently state that statistical psychology is complete bollocks.

Thankyew. Try the fish. I’m hear all weak.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Myers Briggs – whaddya think? What sort are you?’ is closed to new replies.