Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Mycloud backup
  • Rockhopper
    Free Member

I have my Western Digital MyCloud running well and I’m trying to use the built in back up option. I plug my USB hard drive in the mycloud then select back up, create job and set it going. Of course the first back up will take ages as its close to 3Tb. What I want to do are subsequent backups that only backup whats changed on the drive since the first full back up – is that an incremental back up? I don’t seem to have the option to be able to do that for some reason. I can copy or sync which both seem to do a full backup again.
    Obviously there is something I’m missing here!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes thats the meaning of the term “incremental backup”. Also “sync” to me would be incremental (it is for example on iPhone/iPad backups to iTunes). No familiarity with that particular service fyi

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Sync just seems to do the whole back up again, copying over the existing backup and adding the new so it actually takes longer than the original! Copy creates a additional copy.

cranberry
    Free Member

Rockhopper – be aware the MyCloud boxes are not secure:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/08/wd_my_cloud_vulnerabilities/

“Surfing to a booby-trapped website would be enough to lose control of your My Cloud device.”

In fact, Amber Rudd probably already knows about _that_ folder that you have and exactly what it contains.

;-(

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Cheers I hadn’t seen that but mines running V04xxx so would appear to not be affected.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Mycloud backup’ is closed to new replies.