Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • My wife's started having contractions & I have an important meeting tomorrow…
  • thered

No ‘show’ or waters broken yet, is my boss gonna understand if I don’t go in or should I MTFU and get in to work as it’s only the start of labour?

GrahamS

Which would you rather miss: the meeting or the birth of your child?

MTFU and tell your boss you won’t be in.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Erm…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no idea? is he a caveman? what is the plan for when you are off on paternity leave?

stimpy
    Free Member

Wife started having contractions? Quick! Post on STW about my work-based dilemma! 😆

thered

I get the feeling I’ve asked a silly question and will need my flameproof suit

ocrider

You honestly have to ask here?

Hope this is a troll

boxelder

Go to the meeting – your wife, the mother of the child she’s presumably struggled to carry for months, will understand.
    Your life is going to change my friend……………

Pook

Any boss who doesn’t understand me missing a meeting to be with my wife when she’s in labour is a boss I wouldn’t want to work for.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The fact that you’re asking this question suggests that you think your boss is a arsehole.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Mrs Ivnickkate says unless it’s winning the lottery don’t go. This is a censored response though. 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the easy answer, what ever your wife says, unless she says go to the meeting as she really means “YOU WOULD RATHER GO TO THE MEETING THAN SEE THE BIRTH OF YOUR CHILD”

no kids here though maybe I’m wrong

Tom-B
    Free Member

😯

Boy it must be an important meeting!

Markie
    Free Member

When we were about at about the same stage I was incapable of speech, let alone the expression of any kind of question – if ever there was a time when it is reasonable for your common sense to desert you and necessitate the hive stepping forward to keep you on the right path this is it!

Good luck!

khani
    Free Member

*Go to the meeting, the sprogs going to make your life miserable for at least the next sixteen years.
    What difference will a day make?*
    *this is not good advice..do not attempt to follow this advice..if you do, you’re an idiot*

butcher

Take your wife to the meeting.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Conference call from the birthing suite.. you could probably sneak some gas and air when nobody is looking… just cover the microphone when your wife screams in agony.

gwaelod
    Free Member

It’ll just be Brixton hicks

MrOvershoot

TheBrick – Member

The fact that you’re asking this question suggests that you think your boss is a arsehole.
    +100,000
    My boss can be a bit of a David Brent meets Bullshit Bingo merchant but even he would say WTF are you doing in work at such a time!!!

thered

Antenatal class reckoned I should go as this is the ‘latent phase’ and could last a week. Wife reckons I should be going in. I’m not too sure.

boxelder

At the meeting, your boss will tell you what a tuuat you are, so why go?

However, if it’s your first (as it most certainly seems) and work isn’t much further from the hospital than home – don’t start paternity leave early.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

If you want your absence at the birth of your child to be raised on a daily basis until the day you die then go to the meeting

Mantastic
    Free Member

How far is work from where you live/ need to go to hospital?

If more than 15mins stay at home

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If you went, you wouldn’t be concentrating on the meeting. Best they send someone else.

Not that you should need an excuse.

thered

At the meeting, your boss will tell you what a tuuat you are, so why go?

However, if it’s your first (as it most certainly seems) and work isn’t much further from the hospital than home – don’t start paternity leave early.

He’s a good bloke tbh, I’ve worked for him before but only been with this co. for 7 weeks and there’s a big hitter attending tomorrow. Sadly work is over an hour away, potentially two if m-way’s blocked on a friday afternoon. It is my first.

piemonster

I don’t care who your boss is, how well paid your job is. Your wife is more important.

BigJohn

I don’t suppose she’ll let you check how dilated she is? 8)

That gives you a clue whether they’re Braxton Hicks or the real thing.

All the best to the 3 of you!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Not sure what the big deal is, unless the contractions are very frequent or the meeting is absolutely miles away then just go to the meeting.
    She can call you if she needs to.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

If she wakes you at 4am and tells you her waters have broken, you’ll very quickly forget about anything else. If it’s just warm up contractions, carry on working as you’ll want as much time off after as you can scrounge.

Assuming that 7 weeks with company = no statutory paternity tho? Hope they’re able to be flexible & allow you some time off.

Sandwich

You had an important meeting tomorrow.

andy88
    Free Member

I wouldn’t run the risk, for our second one I only just arrived on time. Don’t think I would have forgiven myself if I had of missed it I know the other half wouldn’t . All the best to you all mike

tymbian
    Free Member

If you have to ask you haven’t really understood the whole concept of fatherhood? What were/ are you thinking? You ain’t ready!

Your first child??? Don’t make the mistake of presuming she knows what to do cause she’s the female of the species…!

Father/ dad of 5 here.

nealglover
    Free Member

I get the feeling I’ve asked a silly question and will need my flameproof suit

I get the feeling that if you didn’t actually know that it was a silly question before you asked it….

Your flameproof suit will be made of petrol soaked big roll.

mudshark
    Free Member

Missing a meeting is nothing. I had to sit in a hospital room on a glorious Saturday instead of riding. Nurse got angry when I asked if I could go out for a quick ride – baby cut out at 7pm so could have gone…. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

What kind of contractions?

1) ooh I felt someting
    2) OOOH! AAAAH! Pant pant pant breeeathe
    3) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Type 1 aren’t much to worry about, could be Braxton Hicks, you could be weeks away. Type 2 will be followed by type 3 soon enough so I’d say yes you do have a very important meeting tomorrow.. just probably not the one in your calendar.

Your boss does know about the imminent arrival yes?

lemonysam
    Free Member

If you have to ask you haven’t really understood the whole concept of fatherhood? What were/ are you thinking? You ain’t ready!

Christ… You appreciate that for the majority of human history fathers weren’t usually present, right?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Christ… You appreciate that for the majority of human history fathers weren’t usually present, right?

Exactly. I think people can get a bit carried away by the whole new man thing. The baby is inside the woman, at the end of the day it won’t matter particularly whether he’s there or not. She’s the one that’s pregnant.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

It’s kind of trivialising the woman’s role in the whole process to suggest that the presence of the man is so essential at the birth.

The fact of the matter is that the bloke is fairly incidental at this point.

restless
    Free Member

The baby is inside the woman, at the end of the day it won’t matter particularly whether he’s there or not. She’s the one that’s pregnant.

I must say that, being female and having given birth 3 times, I really couldn’t care less who was in the room at the time. I was too busy 🙂

So long as you are there afterwards though, when she has come back to reality!

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife appreciated my presence greatly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘My wife's started having contractions & I have an important meeting tomorrow…’ is closed to new replies.