Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • My wife wants a caravan.
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t believe it’s worth the hassle/expense if you intend driving it to Europe on holiday.

Touring holidays are great. A tent would be a ballache for touring, and motorhomes – well they are insanely expensive.

A European caravan trip isn’t much different to a motorhome one except that you might lose the ability to stay in car parks. On the other hand you gain the ability to do easy day trips without packing up.

Costs about £450 on the train at peak times as opposed to what, £200 in a car. The extra fuel cost is probablyu another £150 to the south of France. But that’s similar to a motorhome I’d guess.

anagallis_arvensis

Where’s the other half?

Bolted onto the back of some of the vans pulled about by by massive wheezing cars.
    Its big enough for the 3 of us and a dog. Has a two tables, stove and fridge..no bog though.

nstpaul

Agree with molgrips, everybody has a budget they are happy with and different requirements. For us with 4 kids under 12 we needed a good size caravan,and we are fortunate enough to be able to afford to what we chose, just think there are more cost effectivel/ lazier ways of spending the money in our case. Always good to have a few case studies for people to compare

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Also, AirBnB is a different kind of holiday to caravanning or camping – I’d not say they were directly comparable. Also not saying either is better of course. Likewise hotels and normal B&Bs are a different thing again.

Caravan compares to motorhoming and big tent camping, imo.

Drac

Has a two tables, stove and fridge..no bog though.

[video]https://youtu.be/i6RgnGJQrjQ[/video]

Gary_M
    Free Member

Having now worked out the cost for the 16 nights away we used it last year ( site fees,extra fuel when towing, insurance,loan payments etc but not including food and so on) it has worked out as £240 per night!

We were at our van something like 80 days last year so we get plenty of use out of it, although it did cost a touch more than £10k. We’ve used it for holidays that we wouldn’t have had otherwise, so every weekend can be a holiday now. We still go on other holidays too, same as we always did.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, we went to the US last year and camped in a small tent for obvious reasons 🙂

Sandwich

Burnsybhoy does your wife find camping too intense?

That’s my coat, 3 layer goretex with the OS map in the pocket.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Do you have kids? I can’t see the attraction of buying a caravan unless you know you’re only going to be having UK holidays for a good few years. I can’t believe it’s worth the hassle/expense if you intend driving it to Europe on holiday.

6 year old twins. I think I’ve managed to delay the issue for a while.

RustySpanner

Sandwich – Member
    Burnsbhoy does your wife find camping too intense?

I imagine it drives her up the pole.

onewheelgood

A colleague of mine said that his wife wanted a caravan. He bought one, we took the mickey out him mercilessly. Soon afterwards, she left him, and didn’t take the caravan with her. Be warned.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘My wife wants a caravan.’ is closed to new replies.