Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • my wife thinks she is weird
  • gnusmas

since her first trail 6 weeks ago, she has had me build her a kona four (ongoing) take her to the trails as often as possible (as long as we can get a babysitter) and is buying bike magazines and constantly talking about bikes/trails etc.

the other night she said to me "am i weird coz most women talk about handbags, shoes and babies and like to go shopping but all i want to do is ride my bike and buy new bits for my bike"

personally i think i am onto a winner and so does she but she can't find any friends that share the same interests, most of them talk handbags shoes and babies and they are all shocked that she wears trainers and uses my wallet coz she doesn't own a handbag.

are there any like minded women out there?

Splash-man
    Free Member

Let me get this straight from the start – no I'm not a like minded woman, unfortunately neither is my wife.

The downside to your wife being interested however is that your bike spend fund / spend now needs to go round 2 people instead of just yourself.
    I hope you haven't shot yourself in the foot here 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

haha the only downside is she will become " better" than you ,…..

introduced my missus to racing as shes always ridden bikes for transport – she thought she would hate it ….

she only goes and wins the bloody things these days !

Downside – she knows exactly how much my bikes cost !

upside – she looks after the house I look after her bikes that is i was-tune and repair them !

epicsteve
    Free Member

My wife is showing some intrest in getting out mountain biking, including getting involved with a womans cycling club here in Edinburgh.

So far I've had to build her a nice bike (14" Inbred with Float 100's) and buy her knee and elbow pads and a helmet with a chin-guard – so it's not a cheap proposition!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Get her to talk to Mamadirt, who buys another tiny bike every other day, and has just 2 pairs of shoes. Then she'll feel better. 😀

gnusmas

lol

too right splash-man, twice the bikes = half the money 🙁
    trail-rat yes she will become better then me but hey there you go. like your missus she didn't think she would like it but is now completely hooked

yes she now realises when i bought stuff in the past why things cost as much as they do – she now wants a set of white fox float forks and thats just for starters, she is now telling everyone for xmas she wants CRC vouchers!!!!

Woody
    Free Member

Not weird as there appear to be more and more women taking up cycling. I've been at work for the last 3 days and drive alongside and pass a lot of cycle routes. I would reckon the women on bikes have outnumbered men 2:1 and there were several groups of 4+ with no men at all!

gnusmas

epicsteve – not found any womens biking clubs here in sunny west wales (it is actually really sunny today)
    elfin – will do anything to get her to feel like she is not a freak (like she kept telling me i was)

i just see her bike ending up as something spectacular while i will have to sell my stuff and revert to an apollo with chilli forks 8)

Diane
    Free Member

Not wierd at all 🙂

gnusmas

woody i know its not weird but she thinks it is and no matter how much i tell her its ok she still aint having it

gnusmas

diane a fellow female member i presume, thanx

i guess i will have to get her to read this thread to realise its ok

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I've been riding for about 8 years now, and I know more women who ride/are out doorsy than not these days. At one point I also had more bikes than my other half. However, I still like "girlie" things like shoes and handbags but I'm quite happy to ride/run in all weathers on and off road.

There's nothing better than packing up the bikes with your other half and heading to the lakes for a long weekend of mtb'ing 🙂

Divagirl
    Free Member

I'm the same tell her!! All my Birkins and Louboutins are now languishing in the wardrobe since I discovered mtb 🙂 a couple of months ago 🙂 got no-one to ride with tho as OH not interested

Splash-man
    Free Member

Get her to talk to Mamadirt, who buys another tiny bike every other day, and has just 2 pairs of shoes. Then she'll feel better.

..and both of those pairs are probably for riding 😉

You could introduce them to each other although Mama is from around Newport I believe…

epicsteve
    Free Member

DGOAB: Have you had anything to do with the Hervelo ladies?

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

#
    Divagirl – Member

I'm the same tell her!! All my Birkins and Louboutins are now languishing in the wardrobe since I discovered mtb a couple of months ago got no-one to ride with tho as OH not interested
    Posted 12 minutes ago # Report-Post

Women who love MTB and all things outdoorsy AND wear overdraft vapourising vertiginous heels are the holy grail as far as I'm concerned!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

epicsteve, other than being on the facebook group, not yet. I've been meaning to go on a ride with them for ages, but have spent more time road riding/running with friends this summer. They seem like a friendly bunch with everyone catered for so i really need to go along soon – i'm sure your wife would be more than welcome. they do an easy social sat ride to south queensferry that might suit your wife? I'm liking the sound of their evening arthur's seat rides, i currently have an addiction to doing my hill reps there 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

DGOAB: She's been on one of their "Rusties" rides a few weeks back and is intending to the the South Queensferry one this weekend.

SWMBO is quite fit (fitter than me – she does a fair bit of hillwalking etc. with school groups) just not very bike fit yet (although she's done a couple of 20-25 mile rides recently). Her technical bike skills are however non existant – she can usually manage to fall off even on flat bits like the canal towpath!

Divagirl
    Free Member

bravohotel9er

Women who love MTB and all things outdoorsy AND wear overdraft vapourising vertiginous heels are the holy grail as far as I'm concerned!

😉

Wheelie-good
    Free Member

Yay! Really Glad to know I'm not the only one too!!! And my beautiful Yeti 575 gets far more money spent on it than I spend on myself, though having a husband who works in a bike shop helps! 😀

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Not unusual … I instruct lots more women than blokes, somewhere around a 70 / 30 split. The majority of them ride in their own right as it were and aren't just tagging along for something to do.

Some of the best riders I've seen have been women … they have the ability to ride with their heads not just dangly bits 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

pretty much the same as trail_rat here: high-achieving and super-slim wife here now.

One nice thing is she seems oddly more understanding of riding time and how much it all costs.

But she is a whisker off being officially faster than me. 👿

juan
    Free Member

Crap I get to do the house and bike duties…

trail_rat
    Free Member

But she is a whisker off being officially faster than me.

mines not 😀 – but if i keep working abroad she likely will be 😀

juan
    Free Member

At least mine still want to look decent on a bike. So I know she won't get serious and beat me (or at least I hope so 😉 )

spooky_b329

My gf got into bikes after she met me. Her cheap ebay Kona quickly turned into a new Kona frame and custom build from wiggle, into a Gary Fisher Cake, into a Lapierre Zesty 514. So in our case it more than doubled our bike spend as most of my recent bikes have been second hand 🙂

I still have the upper hand though as she is slowly but surely building a collection of Radley handbags, and has a horse as well, all bike spend pales into insignificance when you are looking at £1000 for a replacement saddle as the old one no longer fits, £500 for its winter hay excluding feed, and nearly five years savings got sunk into buying it a trailer so we can annoy bank holiday traffic ;P

khani
    Free Member

My Mrs has more bikes than me, is faster than me apart from d/h, and the only shopping she likes is bike shops,
    It could be so much worse

stevomcd
    Free Member

My wife is totally into bikes and has just finished her first season of full-time guiding. She really trained hard and worked on her riding for it, to the point where the examiner on her final guide's exam had to ask her to slow down!

She asked for a Leatherman for her last birthday.

My wife rocks! :mrgreen:

epicsteve
    Free Member

But she is a whisker off being officially faster than me.

I suspect it won't take much practice for my wife to be faster uphill than me (she's already quicker when hillwalking) but I'm planning to keep adding heavy bits to her bike to slow her down…

coffeeking
    Free Member

too right splash-man, twice the bikes = half the money

Surely your bike parts come out of your fun spends, hers come out of hers, so no difference in funds?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Surely your bike parts come out of your fun spends, hers come out of hers, so no difference in funds?

doesnt work like that ;…..

all the spends seem to come out of my funds … bike or house ….

that makes her sound evil shes not! – shes been a skint student up till 2 weeks ago so things may change.

clareymorris

MrsGnusmas need to get on here she'll soon realise she is amongst friends………Orange5, P7, Giant Anthem and many a shoe owner here whilst other half has one bike (but 2 motorbikes!!) ;-D

gnusmas

Mrs Gnusmas here thanks guys the conversation that i had with hubby was about his friends lol great people but they all have girly wives and while hubby disappears talking bout bikes ect im left with the wives to talk about baby's, handbags ect and i was telling him i would rather be talking bikes lol. any yes it is getting expensive now we both want funds its getting worse now my 10 yr old is getting into it 2

Splash-man
    Free Member

its getting worse now my 10 yr old is getting into it 2

Give them another couple of years and you can move your bike to the kids and then buy yourself something new and spanky.

Just bought 2 x 16" frames this week to build up for my kids. The wife still can't understand it despite having a nice Cannondale parked in the garage……….. 😥

TN
    Free Member

I *do* own handbags but they are only for 'official business' (ie: when I have to get dressed up for work) I also own girlie shoes (same purpose) but I think if I totted up the 'girly' vs the 'outdoor' shoes, the outdoor ones would win. I would much rather be out getting muddy and going sideways than going shopping (aaaaagh) or having my nails done.

I do all the bike maintenance (well, when I say maintenance…) but he does all the cleaning.
    And I am now starting to get up hills quicker than him too, which is just a bonus. (No, I haven't sabotaged his bike!)

You're not alone, Mrs Gnusmas. Most definitely not. 🙂

Divagirl
    Free Member

TN

I think if I totted up the 'girly' vs the 'outdoor' shoes, the outdoor ones would win. I would much rather be out getting muddy

yes 🙂 with me, the rucksacks are definitely winning over the handbags these days

Kevevs
    Free Member

Result!

MartinGT
    Free Member

Result

Nothing is more attractive than a women in lycra or an outdoors loving women. Rather than one who doesnt like the smell of cow muck or "ewww its muddy"

I thought it was great earlier this year when my gfriend said to me "Hurry up going to the shop, Le Tour starts in 40mins"

mountainposture

Certainly not weird at all. We'd both rather talk bikes and riding than babies and handbags (although I'm sure they have their own place)

Last Saturday night we were at friends and spent the evening cleaning the bikes from the day's ride and setting up the new bike for the day after's ride. Part way through the evening we all looked at each other and said, 'is this a normal way to spend a Saturday evening?' We concluded possibly not but that we'd have it no other way.

elaineanne
    Free Member

lol maybe i shud meet up with yout wife cos my daughter thinks im wierd ! im not interested in going shopping or shoes'handbags etc (only rarely when i have to ! 😉 i like wearing comfortable outdoor type clothing rather than classy womens dresses etc…infact i havent worn a dress for years ! probably the last time i wore a dress is wen i got married like 25 years ago …lol hey up its my silver wedding anniversary tomorrow ! lol how the hell i made it to that i,ll never know ! 😉
    but yeah i started riding just about 2 and half years ago and luv it…b4 that i was a climber clambering up some high cliffs and doing some bouldering..
    so nope your wife shud not thinks she's wiered at all…
    whatever your interests are- if you luv what your doing …go for it….MTB c,mon girls lets show the world we are up for this !!!!!hahahahhaha

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘my wife thinks she is weird’ is closed to new replies.