Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • My wife thinks it's odd..
  • Alex

… that I talk to the dog and reply for him in my ‘hungry labrador’ voice. In fact we can have entire conversations which Murf fully participates in by wagging his tail every time his name is mentioned.

So far, so normal. But it got me wondering, does your spouse view your normal, rationale behaviour as slightly outside of the social norms? Another example is she can’t quite understand why my desktop picture is of me and a few other middle aged blokes standing around a windy mountain top and not one of her and our beloved children.

It can’t just be me, surely?

johndoh
    Free Member

No of course it isn’t, you silly little boy you, come here! Come here! Let daddy give you a cuddly-cuddly-cuddle. There’s a good boy! Who’s a good boy? Yeah, that’s it. You’re my good little boy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

She’s not keen when I want a quickie in the kitchen.

Neither were the restaurant staff for that matter.

perchypanther
    Free Member

No of course it isn’t, you silly little boy you, come here! Come here! Let daddy give you a cuddly-cuddly-cuddle. There’s a good boy! Who’s a good boy? Yeah, that’s it. You’re my good little boy.

Look Dad, I’ve told you before… NOT when I’m at work. 😳

Alex

You see! I knew. Gratuitous pic of Murf when he was a bit younger

[url=https://flic.kr/p/6S6fRG]Murphy – August 09[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

‘How’s the water Murf?’ / ‘What’s that’ / ‘Slammed the love sack on impact’ / ‘Nasty’

mintimperial

I’ve done that conversation thing with my cats for years. But my wife does the same thing too. We’re both idiots, it’s a perfect match.

Alex

LOL @DD. Not sure I’ve heard that before. But I’ll be using it in the future 🙂

Cougar

You have a levitating dog, how awesome is that?

wwaswas

does your spouse view your normal, rationale behaviour as slightly outside of the social norms

which side of the divide does burning out excess nasal hair with a match stand?

I’ve not done this but did read somewhere it was cited in someone’s divorce as further evidence of his unreasonable behaviour.

MrNice
    Free Member

@Alex – are you the one who posted on here about having a little song for the labrador? there seems to be a pattern…

MrNice
    Free Member

which side of the divide does burning out excess nasal hair with a match stand?

depends whose hair it is and whether you ask them first

LadyGresley
    Free Member

We both have conversations with our cuddly dodo – we think it’s perfectly normal.
    Our neighbour did comment on hearing us having conversations with the chickens in our back garden…

Alex

You have a levitating dog, how awesome is that?

Nowadays he’s more of a paddler if it’s a warm day. Back then he was a fearless attacker of the local ponds and lakes. That’s about 3m from the bank. He’s taken a proper run up at it!

ittle song for the labrador?

Might have been.
    He’s big, he’s black, he’s got a tail round the back
    He licks, He begs, he’s got little stumpy legs
    etc…etc..

I think that might be on the same side of the setting fire to your nasal hair line 🙂

footflaps

I talk to our cats…

growinglad
    Free Member

Very funny 😆

Even my kids think I’m weird…..wife gave up long ago…..

Women forget that men never grow up….we like to play the fool.

tenfoot

My wife thinks I’m odd for talking to cows and horses when I’m out on the bike.

They never answer me back, and often look at me a bit funny, so maybe they think I’m odd too.

MrNice
    Free Member

talking to the animals and responding on their behalf is not the same thing. Mind you, I remember being a student and receiving a letter from the dog. The spelling was a giveaway though strangely it looked like my mother’s handwriting.

sirromj

Pretty normal. My parents used to be in contact with the cat via the CB antanea in the cat’s tail.

Cougar

My wife thinks I’m odd for talking to cows and horses when I’m out on the bike.

I do that, I’ll give a cow a cheery “moo!” as I roll past. Not an actual mooing sound, you understand, but “moo” in English. OH seems to have accepted this as normal behaviour though.

What did get me funny looks was painting a wall at my then-girlfriend’s house. I put up a “warning: wet paint” sign, then realised the cats wouldn’t be able to read it so put a “miaow rowr ffrt miaow” sign up at cat-height for them too.

stumpy01

Hmmm. I talk to our cats in miaows. They ignore me, but I persevere.

I also serenade my Wife by making up random crap songs and trying to find stuff that rhymes with her name; normally this is while I’m in the kitchen clearing up after dinner and she’d watching the TV.
    I have learnt from this that I can’t sing very well, not a lot rhymes with my Wife’s name, I’d make a rubbish songwriter & my Wife has quite a strong ability to completely ignore me.

(I like the dog song above).

DaRC_L

Our cat’s now deaf… I still talk to her… at least she can’t hear my wife plotting to replace her with a whippet.

Tiger6791

Not just you

This is Murphy (Murph), he’s 12

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHejculJwyo[/video]

vickypea
    Free Member

I talk to the cat and sometimes I sing to her as well!

Alex

@Tyger – that’s brilliant. Looks just like our Murf as well.

Occasionally I sing at the dog. You know that thing labradors do when they look REALLY mournful. That x about a thousand.

fasthaggis

I talk to the cats ,I don’t understand what they say back,so I just smile as if I do.

So,I am a man that smiles and talks to cats.
    My wife looks on with amusement,but never joins in.

JAG

I have always talked to dogs, horses, cows and sheep. I tried talking to cats but they never answer me so I stopped.

Yes – my Wife thinks I’m odd 8)

everyone
    Free Member

I always talk to the local cats. I also enjoy singing along to whatever I’m doing.

My girlfriend thinks I’m mental, at least I know I’m mental.

Oh, I’ll routinely talk to myself while I’m on the bike, motivational stuff, the occasional chastisement if I’m doing rubbish. Usual sort of stuff right?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

she can’t quite understand why my desktop picture is of me and a few other middle aged blokes standing around a windy mountain top

no bikes? weirdo.

scandal42
    Free Member

When my good lady first came around for dinner in the early throws of our relationship I set my hair on fire at the table, she had a fairly good grasp that I was a bit strange from that point so nothing is too surprising or weird as far as I’m concerned.

Regarding the desktop wallpaper, it’s a daily battle where I believe it should be the ‘pic of the day’ from Pinkbike and she believes it should be a random dog giving a chick a head massage or something.

senorj

My missus thinks it odd that I regularly chuckle whilst reading a “mtb” forum and cite said forum as the font of all knowledge.
    Strange but true.

bikebouy
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    does your spouse view your normal, rationale behaviour as slightly outside of the social norms

Erm, do I view her as normal I think is more an accurate assessment of the situation 🙄

When I had 2 Springers I was always talking to them..

Alex

no bikes? weirdo.

Bikes obviously. Generally being leant on in a ‘I’ll just be resting here for a while’ kind of way. This kind of thing..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/s1PaMk]North Wales Weekend – MTB April 2015[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

I wish I had hair to set on fire 🙁

johndoh
    Free Member

I talk to our miniature hamster when I am feeding her 🙂

tenfoot

I talk to the cats ,I don’t understand what they say back,so I just smile as if I do.

I saw a programme on t’telly that said that cats have developed meowing as a form of interacting with humans. In nature cats are generally silent, and don’t communicate with each other by meowing.

So when your cat meows back, he/she is actually specifically trying to talk to you – which is nice.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Bikes obviously.

Sincerest apologies for commenting on something so obvious it didn’t need to be said.

Alex

I told my wife that and she said ‘no bikes, that would be odd. Even for you’. Which I’ve taken as a compliment 🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I think my other half is just jealous of the conversations I have with the dog, oh and the fact that it’s him I say hello to first when I come in of an evening.

scandal42
    Free Member

I wish I had hair to set on fire

So do I 😆

I can’t blame the flames though

everyone
    Free Member

So do I

I can’t blame the flames though

I was going to say! Unless you meant that bit of peach fuzz?

scandal42
    Free Member

I was going to say! Unless you meant that bit of peach fuzz?

You can bollocks, I could grow a full head of hair if I wanted to, it’s just a style decision.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘My wife thinks it's odd..’ is closed to new replies.