• This topic has 46 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • My wife, the BA Captain
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Apologies I know this is in terribly poor taste and I run the risk of being a douche bag, but I am just so proud of what my wife just achieved – promotion to Captain on the BA short haul fleet and she’s only been on the aircraft 12 months!

It has been a righy slog and incredibly stressful (for everyone, her, me, the kids) but she passed today.

Quite a journey from the 12 year old who decided she wanted to go flying, started learning aged 14, flew solo aged 16, got a commercial type rating when she was 20, joined BA aged 22 and is now a captain 18 years later and almost 10,000 hours on the clock.

So proud (and tired!)

RobHilton
    Free Member

Pics! In uniform, of course

Houns

Congrats to her!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Great stuff!

DT78
    Free Member

Awesome. New bike time.

matt_outandabout

Great stuff… 😀

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Congratulations to your wife!

joat

See if you can sneak on to the runway to take some candid pics as she’s coming in to land.

Gary_C

Nice one!

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Christ, a woman flying.

Guessing it has a few dents from the parking. 😆

jamj1974

Nice one!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That’s awesome, that must be an incredible amount of hard work and dedication.

willard

Awesome! Congratulations to Mrs. Geetee, that’s a bloody good accomplishment.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Awesome! I wanted to be a BA Pilot from the age of 6 and then changed my mind when I got to uni. Still not always sure I made the right decision and always love hearing about people that followed their dreams.

What planes is she on?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The pinnacle of Taxi driving 😉

fionap

Congratulations to her, that’s awesome!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Blooming great achievement, well done Her..

Can she reverse park it yet, or do you do that for her??? 😀

bearnecessities

Mr Geetee: So darling, what plane do you like flying the best?

Mrs Geetee: The blue one.

(EDIT: ..massive congrats too, seriously awesome achievement! – A lot of blokes would feel emasculated, so bugger all wrong with your feelings 🙂 )

MoreCashThanDash

Amazing achievement. Well done her.

Every pilot I know has been married to a stewardess though…. 😕

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I still think the fact that she puts up with the OP is a bigger achievement.

Congrats all the same. Well done her! 😀

legend
    Free Member

Specifically which routes should we be avoiding?

takisawa2

Might just don a hat to be able to take it off to her.
    Well done that lady.

My Wife is, at this very second, sitting the final exam of her nursing degree.
    Immensely proud of her.

geetee1972
    Free Member

What planes is she on?

She’s now on the Airbus A320 having spent the last ten years or so on the Boeing 737. The conversion course was December and January of 2014/15 and another very demanding period of residential courses. She’d leave Sunday night and get back Friday night (that was tough but this has been far more stressfull).

As for the ‘women driver’ repartie, wait until you see how tall she is. Just a shade over 5ft.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Short haul you say?

Phew!
    😉

Good on her, though! Great to see more girls flying.

beej

Can she do the proper BA captain voice? I guess that’s about half the training time.

Brilliant achievement, and it’s not poor taste and you are not a douche bag. It’s good to be proud of others.

MartynS

I still think the fact that she puts up with the OP is a bigger achievement.

For that she deserves a very big medal…’

Congrats Mrs GT. I can’t imagine how hard that was. Hopefully she can start to enjoy it now!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m just going to quietly slip this in here for you all…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQbj9uvYL8I[/video]

ninfan
    Free Member

Thats an amazing achievement. Right to be proud.

Though you mustn’t forget to call her in to witness your impression of a sinking ship in the bath tonight…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    surfer
    Free Member

Well done 🙂

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Awesome role model for girls, and a leader for shorter women in big jobs! Great work, wish her well, at least she’s highly unlikely to shack up with one of the stewards, although he’d be fantastic at interior decorating and shopping!

ourmaninthenorth

There are very few jobs that make me ooh and aah. Pilot is one of them.

Congratulations to Captain Geetee!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Way to go Mrs geetee1972!! 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Awesome role model for girls, and a leader for shorter women in big jobs

Yay!

she’s highly unlikely to shack up with one of the stewards, although he’d be fantastic at interior decorating and shopping!

Boo!

CountZero

Fantastic, well done her, and congratulations.
    I’m reminded of a song, a very short one, by a female duo called the Dear Janes some years back, the lyrics go thus:
    “I’d never fly with a lady pilot”,
    I heard a man on the radio say.
    “I’d never fly with a lady pilot,
    She might be pre-menstrual one day”
    😉

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Does it usually take 18 years to get to Captain on short haul? (No disrespect, it’s a great achievement, I was wondering if there was any element of sexism, or if career breaks for kids had anything to do with it?)

geetee1972
    Free Member

HI Jujuuk68, Mrs GT here.
    Yup it took a while. Yes, because I had a couple of kids and BA doesn’t let you fly while they’re cooking, then I was a year or so looking after each of them. Then there’s the demographic; age discrimination legislation meant the compulsory retirement age of 55 was binned so all the old fogies could stay on for another 10 years. Current time to command is about 3 years which is superfast at BA.
    Then there’s me – you’ve just got to be ready

But I thank you all for your positive comments and of course huge thanks to Mr GT who kept the show on the road all this time.

As for the knobs and the parking – go grab some picolax and spin on your sprockety cogs!

rickmeister

Fantastic mrsgeetee,

But your in deep sh*t if n+1 applies to aircraft …m

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Well done to Mrs G,
    Great to hear she gets to fly a more up todate plane 😉
    Airbus A320 is great, I really enjoyed working on them back in my Aviation days.
    Meet many great Female pilots.

Yes takes a long time/lot of time to get anyway in Aviation.
    Also well done to the family on been so supportive

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Oi, Mrs gee tee, less of the old fogies please….it’s a smaller world than you think!
    Seriously though, congrats, shame you had to move from a ‘proper’ a/c, at least now you’ll wear a hat!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘My wife, the BA Captain’ is closed to new replies.