• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Trains to Portugal
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

My wife is there on a business trip.

I’ve developed the slightly mad desire to turn up on her doorstep by train. I was thinking of flying, when I thought what would Bryan Blessed do? Not fly that’s for sure, there are far more adventurous ways to get there and I have an irrational hatred of airports.

I can’t for the life of me get the TGV website to work and give me journey times, it comes up with errors. So I’m thinking of just buying an Eurail pass. How would I get there and what kinds of trains would I be using? The info on the net all seems a little bit confused.

cloudnine
    Free Member

She’d probably be pissed off for some reason or other.. just stay at home, clean your parts in the dish washer, watch some pron with the volume on and maybe ride your bike.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Now – to be fair I’m olde – but for the eurail tickets I did several times : even if youre a chicken you’ll possibly / probably? do better outwith the eurail structure.

Gis a clue on final to / from cities? Day to arrive? You ok sleeping in a train station in the arse end of somewhere?

#edit – as a mad guess London-Lisbon : voyages-sncf have a train sigle at £180. Cheaper to fly sadly.
    But give us the details.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Nahh, I felt the sudden urge to go adventuring. Life is passing me by.

I can just about justify it if it’s to visit my missus. Found a nice page on EUrail that helps with the planning :mrgreen:

I am fine sleeping on stations, I’d like to get from London to Paris then Paris to Irun or Madrid and then on to Lisbon, preferably next week or the week after. Any trip that I have attempted to plan that goes via Irun just creates an error message on all the sites. The EUrail Europe wide passes seem to be cheaper than buying a return ticket to Lisbon, via the site you mention.

Cheers 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

I use the OBB travel portal.
    OBB is Austria’s train service and it runs like like clockowrk. I’ve used the portal to go to various cities.

http://www.oebb.at/en/#

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Ferry to Santander, then the train? I am determined not to go via flying sardine can.

Cheers iolo.

BlobOnAStick

The man in seat 61 has all the answers…..

Edit: [/url]

sas
    Free Member

If you’re resident in Europe you’ll need an Interail pass not a Eurail one. Eurostar isn’t included in either pass (though you can get a discount).

But if you’ve got the time and money spending a few weeks bimbling around Europe on the trains sounds like an excellent plan 😀

shifter
    Free Member

Ferry to Santander, then bike.
    Does she know? It would be a bit odd just showing up!

scandal42
    Free Member

Have you met her boss?

BillMC

You thought of signing up to Blablacar? I did a dummy run for Leicester to Paris, £31 in an AM Vantage (ffs) was the offer. I also had an offer for Talinn that looked reasonable. Should you go by train, the line from Madrid to Lisbon is pretty diverse and spectacular.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tom go for it. I’ve done a few trips Paris to cities in Germany and found it all ran very smoothly, was cheaper (booked in advance, specific train times) and quicker when taking into account airport check in / waiting for luggage. In your case the trip isn’t going to be faster than flying but certainly more interested. I would suggest a stop to explore a bit. The Ferry to Santander is a top proposal.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d second the ferry to Santander too. It’s so easy and takes 20hrs crossing, book a luxury seat near a window and nod off when the trip gets boring or book a cabin. I’ve done the trip 6 times, with the van full of windsurfing gear, rolled on, settled in seat, nodded off. Foot passengers cost about £150rtn (off the Brittany Ferries website) which I think is a bargain. Catch the train down to Portugal from there, it’s very well connected.

john_drummer
    Free Member

how long is she in Portugal on business for?

iolo
    Free Member

The ferry is fine in good weather. Crossing the bay of Biscay in gale force winds was one of the worst experiences of my life. I really thought i was going to die.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Trains to Portugal’ is closed to new replies.