Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • my wife complained that her xt brakes were too sharp – pad material content
  • porter_jamie

they are the XT ones with fins on the pads. she says they were a bit grabby. so i fitted ‘resin’ shimano pads instead of ‘metal’ ones. she says it’s better. i haven’t ridden it enough to know but if she thinks it’s better, then i suppose it is.

Is there such a thing as a pad which is better in every way than a shimano one? i’m about to stock up for the alps. do people prefer resin, or metal, for the alps? if it rains, and she is using resin, will she die?

i run the same brakes on my bike and i quite like them tbh.

andyl
    Free Member

Bit of chain lube should sort them 🙂

Silly powerful brakes but they do lack modulation. Just gone for Hopes on my new bike but still have shimano on the others and been wondering how to soften then a bit but not reduce the ultimate power. I would suggest smaller discs but then you run more risk of overheating on long decents.

porter_jamie

yeah i thought about that – she’s on 180f/160r.
    i wouldn’t want to go any less. i’m on 203f/180r cos im a bit of a lardarse….

argoose
    Free Member

bin them and get a set of avid xo trail brakes.
    avids have so much more modulation than on\off shimano’s

Shackleton

I found them grabby until I got used to them. Now everything else seems spongy, vague and lacking in power!

I like the superstar kevlar pads fwiw.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I can’t remember the name of the actual adjustment but that barrel adjustment on the top makes mine a little spongey / less grabby if turned.

“andyl – Bit of chain lube should sort them “

First post! Thanks for not letting the forum down Andy 🙂

MartynS

I’m sure she won’t die with resin pads, but take loads!!!
    Have a fiddle with both the reach adjustment and the free stroke screw.
    Daft question, is she just using one finger on the lever? They are powerful and if she’s grabbing them with a couple of fingers they will feel grabby!!

scotroutes

Tell her to learn to use the controls better.

mikeep
    Free Member

I have uberbike sintered on my bike. Great modulation and last well in the alps.

otsdr
    Free Member

Move the levers a bit inboard and change the reach adjust so they are closer to the bars.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘my wife complained that her xt brakes were too sharp – pad material content’ is closed to new replies.