Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • My vintage road rennovation pics
  • joe1983
    Free Member

Just got my Bob Jackson built Merlin (bought from the classifieds) and my Freddie Grubb back from being rennovated by Bob Jackson. I think they look class and can’t wait to get on with the builds!
    [img]http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo176/Joe1983_photo/DSC00641.jpg[/img][img]http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo176/Joe1983_photo/DSC00644.jpg[/img][img]http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo176/Joe1983_photo/DSC00647.jpg[/img]

thepodge
    Free Member

looking good

markd
    Free Member

i like the green. its like snotters.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Very nice, but the red doesn’t look very neatly done. Did the painter have a shaky hand? Was it the same person that painted your walls – over painting on those sockets is terrible.

joe1983
    Free Member

No I can’t blame my dad for the frame, although he did make a mess of the sockets. The lug lining is a bit patchy, and to be honest I expected better from BJ, but overall I’m happy with the results

BigDummy
    Free Member

Grubb headbadges are ACE. Lovely job. 🙂

J0N
    Free Member

Very nice. I liked the lug lining on the original also. Would look good on the green IMHO.
    Full build pics when finished please. 🙂

petestuart
    Free Member

They’re both beautiful colours. Particularly like the green. Would make lovely fixed gears but i suspect you have something a bit more special in mind for them!

boblo
    Free Member

Hmmm, that lug lining is shocking and I bet it was at least £200 for the refurb.

I like the green as well… Both 531? Steel is real 🙂

joe1983
    Free Member

More like £270, I’ve shot an email off to BJ about the lug lining plus there were a few paint chips (admittedly very small ones) and I’ll see what they say. As I said before though overall I am impressed. The Merlin is going to be built up with a 1970 Nuovo Record, Record, Gran sport groupset I have and polished off with a nice brown brooks. I think the Freddie Grubb might be turned into a fixer, but am not sure yet. Will post pics whenthey are all built up – hopefully in the next week or so.

maxsatnav
    Free Member

heres one i did earlier

retro frame with a modern twist

might be for sale on Classified later

boblo
    Free Member

maxsatnav. The twist being the saddle and pedals? Nice bike.

Joe1983. sorry if my comment sounded a bit harsh, just re-read it. Gran Sport? I had a Raleigh Gran Sport back in the day then a Road Ace. That’s when Raleigh still made ‘propa’ boiks 🙂

Let us know how you get on with Jackson’s (can’t write BJ, sounds a bit rude :->)

Olly
    Free Member

the cream one is gorgeous, the green one needs pinstriping i think

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Hmmm, that lug lining is shocking

I’m sorry; I can’t ignore it either. I’d be a tad disappointed with that. 🙁

Shame, because the overall effect is lovely. Very stylish.

thumbie
    Free Member

Lovely colours but echo the points with the lug lining….hope you get a result & good look with the builds…post some more pics!!!

rob1984p
    Free Member

The first picture of the Merlin looks amazing, I love the downtube cable stops and length of the dropouts, its a shame that its poor up close. I’d of thought a trip to the powdercoaters and a tin of humbrol could have had similar results, good luck with the complaint.

joe1983
    Free Member

Nearly finished my Merlin, thwarted by the **** brake cable outer not being long enough to do two brakes so thats another £25 to Jagwire. Also waiting on a honey Brooks B17 special with copper rails, and to decide whether I want Brooks honey straps or red ones.

As a new convert to the road, I bought and began the project thinking it was the perfect fit – since realised its way too small 🙁

Determined to finish it right though!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘My vintage road rennovation pics’ is closed to new replies.