Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • My tyre burped – question
  • Milkie
    Free Member

So I went tubeless, tyre burped due to my rubbish riding. Crashed, took it easy, sat on the saddle and went over very pointy rock… Buuuurp! Had to remove the rim strip as the valve thingy somehow bent and air would come straight out of valve.. Replaced it with a innertube and carried on.

How do you remove the sticky latex stuck to the inside of the rim? Do I need to?

geetee1972
    Free Member

You don’t really need to remove it but if you want to then leave the tyre off the rim and therefore expose the latex to the air. It will then dry and you can peel it off like dried glue.
    BTW the burping is not necessarily down to rubbish riding. It happens to me quite a bit usually because you’ve got the bike going sideways and that pulls on the sidewall of the tyre.
    Burping can also indicate that your tyre pressure is too low. It’s one of the myths of tubeless that you can run low pressures in your tyres because there’s less chance of pinch flatting. Well yes there’s no inner tube to pinch but you can still puncture the side wall and you can still burp air making the problem worse.

Waderider
    Free Member

My review of tubeless:

“There are some barely perceivable rumoured advantages, offset by faff. Best stick with tubes.”

geetee1972
    Free Member

“There are some barely perceivable rumoured advantages, offset by faff. Best stick with tubes.”

Not far off the truth. I think the biggest one is weight saving where it really matters. I can’t run less than a dual ply tyre around rocky rides in the Lakes, Peak etc if I am running tubes as otherwise I just pinch flat constantly, so tubeless makes a difference there for me. I know other people don’t have the same problem though.

Waderider
    Free Member

geetee1972, get out of here, I’m looking for a bite from the hype believers, not agreement, stop disarming my comment 😆

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m looking for a bite from the hype believers,

Chuck Norris rides tubeless.

End of 😆

Milkie
    Free Member

I went with the hype.. and have found, I cannot run as low pressures and my rear wheel weighs more than with tubes, but I did have light tubes n ignitors which were also light.

But I prefer the feel, but that could be the highroller tread rather than the fact they are tubeless.

It was definately due to rubbish riding and also low pressure in the rear.. I knew I should’ve checked my pressures before… doh

poppa
    Free Member

I would guess that too-low a pressure is the problem. You can ‘burp’ tyres with tubes in too – well, the tyre can come off the rim and the tube can go bang anyway.

How did burping the tyre damage the valve?!

wwaswas

did the rim strip rotate around the rim a bit?

I’ve always just used a wet cloth to get as much latex off as I can and not worried too much about any residue.

Milkie
    Free Member

How did burping the tyre damage the valve?

I don’t think the burping damaged the valve. Looks like some latex got into it, and somehow crossthreaded itself then decided to bend its self.

did the rim strip rotate around the rim a bit?

Nope, it was in the right position, or at least it wasnt obvious that it had spun around a bit.

I would guess that too-low a pressure is the problem.

Still leaning towards the rubbish riding. Rode that bit of Darkside the day before with the low pressures and it felt great!

What do you guys do with the latex if you have to stick a tube in? Do you just cut the valve core out and stick a tube in, or do you remove the whole rimstrip?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

All issues with tubeless are from bodging instead of using tubeless rims and tyres. Run XT tubeless down to 20 psi easy with Maxxis. Brilliant solution to traction without rolling resistance.

poppa
    Free Member

Pawsy_Bear, yesterday.

Milkie
    Free Member

I knew there would be something!!

So I’ve just spent the last hour trying to get the tyre to seal! Found there is a snakebite through the tyre. One slit on the top & one slit about a 1mm away from the bead!

The air is escaping from the slit just above the tyre bead. I’ve tried putting sealant in the tyre, jiggling it about then pumping it up. The sealant comes out the slit, then the air. Then I’m back to square one, tyre won’t stay inflated.

Am I doing something wrong?
    *Awaits the “fit an inner tube” comments..*

Joe’s No Flats Rim Strips & Sealant
    Speedisc Rim
    High Roller LUST Tyre

glenh
    Free Member

All issues with tubeless are from bodging instead of using tubeless rims and tyres

+100

R.lepecha

I knew there would be something!!

So I’ve just spent the last hour trying to get the tyre to seal! Found there is a snakebite through the tyre. One slit on the top & one slit about a 1mm away from the bead!

The air is escaping from the slit just above the tyre bead. I’ve tried putting sealant in the tyre, jiggling it about then pumping it up. The sealant comes out the slit, then the air. Then I’m back to square one, tyre won’t stay inflated.

Am I doing something wrong?
    *Awaits the “fit an inner tube” comments..*

Joe’s No Flats Rim Strips & Sealant
    Speedisc Rim
    High Roller LUST Tyre
    i belive you need a new tyre then, unless you patch it up like a tube.

Milkie
    Free Member

I should’ve thought of that! I’ll patch it up this evening and cross my fingers it seals ready for Afan tomorrow.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Miklkie

long shot but make sure you put enough sealant in. Its 2 cups if I remember correctly. You can repair tubeless.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘My tyre burped – question’ is closed to new replies.