Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • my turn to get hit by a car
  • crankboy
    Free Member

If you were ridding down chapeltown road this am in a green t shirt thanks for stopping . Now in lgi getting cleaned up .

Pigface
    Free Member

Hope not to serious and you are ok.

Lummox

feel your pain – literally, painkillers are your friends

fun tasks today are speaking to my attackers insuarance company

Heal fast, hope its not too bad.

beefheart
    Free Member

More importantly, is the bike OK?

crankboy
    Free Member

All good lump on head fat lip and bashed knees . Need a new helmet and Oakleys though.

crankboy
    Free Member

Bike needs a respray and the front fork has a dint in it . That I am truely gutted about it is my first bike a 1990s p7 now used for commuting but a really nice ride and responsive .

tthew

I assume as you are injured, the police were involved and have all the drivers details? Get well soon.

crankboy
    Free Member

The guy in green t shirt who I genuinely wish to thank stood infront of the offending car which had the effect of preventing her from leaving had she wished to and called them . The evidence gatherer has already contacted both parties and two witnesses and the attending officers took my keys took my bike home and had colleges return the keys to me in casualty. Very impressed by them and the two ladies who treated me at the roadside and tried to verbally lynch the driver.

tthew

Horray for people!*
    *(apart from inattentive car drivers, boo to them)

CaptJon
    Free Member

It is nice to have faith in humanity restored. I came off my bike a few years ago and about five people all helped out. The police were excellent too who took my bike to the police station and kept it until i could collect it a couple of weeks later (they even kept it inside as opposed to outside with all stolen bikes they recover).

devash
    Free Member

Whereabouts on Chapeltown road? I’ve just recently moved near there.

I’ve stopped commuting in on the bike because that road and the Sheepscar junction are just too dangerous. Always cars driving way too fast and impatient drivers pulling out from side streets without looking.

Clover

Get well soon, nice to know that there are people who’ll look out for you 😀 (even though there also was a driver who didn’t 👿 )

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Sounds like a lovely response by people to your predicament.

As for the car driver, too soon for pitchforks? 😈

seven
    Free Member

Was it on Cowper Street? Think I passed just after 9am, saw ambulance and a bike up against the wall.

That is the same junction where I got hit by car turning right.

And in my case as well loads of help from passersby and other drivers 🙂

bust wrist and back injury for me, but all well now.

Hope you heal quick and stay safe all

Cheers

crankboy
    Free Member

Devash the junction with Louis st opposite the shops I was in the bus lane she was crossing chap road starting from savile drive, from my right to my left. a car in the non bus lane stopped and flashed her so she piled over looking to her right as she accelerated into the bus lane and me she threw me into the air and I came down on my giro ending up a couple of meters down the other side of Louis st. Got an odd dint in my helmet which suggests I hit or was hit by part of her car so I may have been carried a little way on her bonet .

seven
    Free Member

Further down than I remembered, but basically exactly what happened to me.

Glad you’re not worse off

allthepies
    Free Member

Nice! So not looking properly and entering a bus lane, I take it she wasn’t driving a bus / taxi ? 😉

edlong
    Free Member

and entering a bus lane, I take it she wasn’t driving a bus / taxi ?

Pretty sure you ARE allowed to drive through bus lanes if you are crossing, i.e. going off onto a side-road that you have to cross the bus lane to reach? Obviously, you’re not supposed to run cyclists down in the process, but it doesn’t sound like driving into the bus lane was the problem here, just that the OP was already occupying the tarmac at that moment.

edlong
    Free Member

Depending on where you are coming from, and where in town you’re heading for, the way I avoid Sheepscar interchange if I need to get from Chapeltown to the city centre is to go down Harehills Avenue, right down Spencer Place, then down Roseville Road. Great if you’re heading for that end of town, not quite so useful if you’re trying to get to the university I suppose.

bentudder

she was crossing chap road starting from savile drive, from my right to my left

Edlong – Crankboy’s description suggests the driver was coming from the other side of the road, and crossed over into the bus lane, rather than crossing the bus lane to get to the main carriageway.

Anyway – hope you’re alright, Crankboy. Watch out for the whiplash – I felt fine after being t-boned a few years ago (and even stayed on the bike) but was a pretzel the next day.

poolman
    Free Member

glad to hear you are ok, from a fellow p7 owner

Marmoset
    Free Member

You’re lucky crankboy, glad to hear you’ve got out of it with “minor” injuries. It’s strange being knocked off, first your shocked, then annoyed, then really pissed off and a few hours later you realise it could have been a lot worse.

Good reaction from those around you, I had a bounce off a car earlier this year and people around we’re equally supportive.

devash
    Free Member

Devash the junction with Louis st opposite the shops I was in the bus lane she was crossing chap road starting from savile drive, from my right to my left. a car in the non bus lane stopped and flashed her so she piled over looking to her right as she accelerated into the bus lane and me she threw me into the air and I came down on my giro ending up a couple of meters down the other side of Louis st. Got an odd dint in my helmet which suggests I hit or was hit by part of her car so I may have been carried a little way on her bonet .

I know that scenario all too well. There’s always cars pulling out of Louis Street straight across Chapeltown Road into Savile Drive and vice versa. Its tempting to tear it down that road but even at quieter times I take it easy because I’ve had so many near misses with cars pulling out.

Not the best part of town for safe driving.

eshershore
    Free Member

@crankboy

sorry to hear about your collision

this was mine, a few weeks back in NW London, RTC with a white van driver who did not bother “looking” before he pulled off the kerb…

..just as I started overtaking a stationary bus at the bus stop.

of course, said white van driver reversed and made his escape before anyone could stop him fleeing the scene 🙁

the people who stopped were BMW and Mercedes driver which is a 1st for me, as they are normally the cause of “near misses” on the bike!

crankboy
    Free Member

Mannaged to trace and thank the guy in the green t shirt , and get my head round where it was and what happened . It was Savile place francis st junction with chapeltown road .

yours looks far worse than mine esher_shore. hope they find your white van man.

project
    Free Member

she was crossing chap road starting from savile drive, from my right to my left. a car in the non bus lane stopped and flashed her so she piled over

Bit like this, not sure if some muppet behind me flashed her accross.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXhogz__Zxw&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_kaz1vhOldrsr4Gw_N5GDQ[/video]

and it was a woman driver

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘my turn to get hit by a car’ is closed to new replies.