Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • My turn to be RTC victim
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Just had a wee off courtesy of a <20 driver not seeing me right ahead of her as she turned right. I just clipped the car and tumbled a bit before hitting the deck. Glad she did slow & stop, it would have been over the bonnet or face into the roof otherwise.

Smashed 9s Ergo lever (are they even available?), some holed clothing and cuts/bruises. I opted not to press charges as she was properly upset and shaken up.

I was worried my triple chainset was bent but it seems to be the pedal.

wwaswas

Sorry to hear that 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks! I’m OK, just thought it would be worth posting up.

RustySpanner

Not the new bike then?

matt_outandabout

Glad you are ok. She should pay your damage though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes – unscratched tho.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

You did get her details didn’t you?
    Up to you whether you get the law involved but you shouldn’t be out of pocket.

RoterStern
    Free Member

She should pay your damage though.

This. Have you come to some form of written agreement about damages? Is it in writing? Have you got her details? Just asking as something similar happened to me a number of years ago in London and all I got was a telephone number and the promise to pay for the damages only to find the driver gave me a false telephone number.

project
    Free Member

I got was a telephone number and the promise to pay for the damages only to find the driver gave me a false telephone number

always ring the number when onscene take the reg number and if in doubt ring the police, the call will be recorded for poseterity,even if they dont come out.

youll be sore tomorrow,

RoterStern
    Free Member

always ring the number when onscene take the reg number and if in doubt ring the police, the call will be recorded for poseterity,even if they dont come out.

This was before the days of mobile phones! 😳

Houns

Sod her being shaken up, press charges!

(Glad you’re ok)

diawl2
    Free Member

And what happens when she kills someone next time? She may be driving with defective vision or a medical condition which means she shouldn’t be on the road.

kcal

hope you’re OK Al, that’s the main thing. trust it won’t mess up your ‘Puffer training 🙂

I got knocked off my bike ages and ages ago, taken out by a woman on roundabout. I sled her for her details (as I was a bit shredded) and she gave the response “I don’t give out my details to people I don’t know”. I was on form enough to retort “Do you only knock down people you know then?” but she still just drove off. Reported her to police straight away..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rozzers were called, I have her details, an incident no. and 3 witnesses.

Feels a little off claiming for clothing I may still use, and parts I’ll get at a discount.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Certainly was not me and I resent the accusation!! 😛

dmorts

Edinburgh? Where did it happen?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

cuddle?

brakes
    Free Member

big hugs Al
    glad the triple is ok, they’re pretty rare these days…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks Bear.

dmorts – Prestonpans

mikey74
    Free Member

Seems to be a week for it. I came off on Tuesday, only this time no car was involved: The bike slid out from under me going around a 90deg bend. It hurt, but nothing broken. My main concern is that if anything was coming, either way, I’d be dead, as the corner is pretty blind from both directions.

Hope you are unscathed.

neilnevill
    Free Member

glad its not too serious. Claim for damages from her, but be fair and offer part payment. if she goes to her insureres they will make a partial payment offer anyway, they are entitled to do that.

clubber
    Free Member

Glad you’re OK. Definitely reckon you should claim for damages.

Anyway, 9 speed ergos are available but only xenon though the internals are usually compatible so you can use the xenon just for the body, assuming that’s what broke. IIRC the bodies are all the same anyway or at least they were a while back.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers Clubber

Claim for damages from her, but be fair and offer part payment.

What? I wasn’t negligent.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Why should he pay when she was at fault?

clubber
    Free Member

Just a further thought, it’s only the ratchet ring that actually makes the shifter 9,10 or 11 speed so you may be able to sort it that way with new ergos and your existing ratchet ring

toppers3933
    Free Member

You can get complete xenon 9spd shifters no problem. Chickens have them in stock so your lbs should be able to source them.

If theres damage why should/wouldn’t you claim? If it wasn’t for her, your stuff wouldn’t be damaged.

Glad its only the kit that was damaged.

sbob
    Free Member

Glad to hear you’re alright.

user-removed
    Free Member

Teaspoons are expensive these days… Also, no shame in running a triple in Edinburgh – proper hills. Glad you’re OK.

I’m always bemused by the posts by Flashy and others who claim never to have had an accident (the inference being that they’re paying attention / obeying the law and those who get hit, aren’t). The reality is, they’ve just been **** lucky. You can cycle as defensively as you like – if it’s your time, suck it up – it happens.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Cool story bro

sobriety
    Free Member

Actually. SNIP. Not getting involved.

gears_suck
    Free Member

I know someone who was invoked in a. RTC. Not at fault. Thought he’d be the nice guy and let it go as no serious damage or injury. Gratitudes were exchanged and a warm handshake.
    The following week a claim arrived for damages to the vehicle!
    People can be arseholes mate. I hope you read the situation correctly.

jonba
    Free Member

My turn to be RTC victim

I find this depressing. We seem happy to accept it as a case of when not if.

Hope you are ok though.

damascus
    Free Member

You didn’t want damages after being knocked off your bike? She must have been good looking!

You are obviously a better person than most of us. I would have been pretty angry!

Always try and take a photo of any damage of your bike and the car. Take the registration number and also try and get a picture of the driver. you should always report it to the police and get a reference number. It is upto you if you want to presscharges or not.

What happens if god forbid something happens in the future to you that you didn’t realise at the time and you cannot work, pay your mortgage etc

I know its unlikely but you need to protect yourself. Especially when gits like above end up taking action against you for scratching their car!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I do want damages, I just didn’t insist on a prosecution, which the Police implied was appropriate (do people read threads anymore?)

clubber
    Free Member

Green. But only if it happened on a Wednesday otherwise definitely purple.

project
    Free Member

There where a load of nutters out driving last night, same in the shops,like a full moon event.

devash
    Free Member

I know someone who was invoked in a. RTC. Not at fault. Thought he’d be the nice guy and let it go as no serious damage or injury. Gratitudes were exchanged and a warm handshake.
    The following week a claim arrived for damages to the vehicle!
    People can be arseholes mate. I hope you read the situation correctly.

Similar thing happened to my grandfather a good few years ago. He was behind some woman in his car waiting at a junction and she just randomly put her car into reverse and smashed into him.

She was all apologetic, they exchanged details, she agreed to contact her insurance to sort it all out.

Turns out she called her insurer and said he smashed into the back of her.

Its a horrible world we live in.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Update…bah, my BB30 crank is bent and there are **** all of them available out there 😡

bails

Ah well, that’s what her insurance is for. If there are no BB30 cranks then a new bike could be on the cards 😉

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘My turn to be RTC victim’ is closed to new replies.