Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • my strava is being a d**k…….help
  • gonzy
    Free Member

getting really annoyed now as my strava wont record my rides properly
    did jacobs ladder and it didnt record any of the ride
    did a local ride on sunday and it recorded half of the ride and then showed that on the map in a series of straight lines …so no segments recorded either…and apparently i was doing 230mph!!
    i decided to record my bus ride home yesterday and it worked…so i tested it again this morning and again it only recorded 0.8 miles out of a 7 mile journey
    every time i’ve switched it on and started to record a ride i’ve made sure the gps is locked in before hitting the start but its being so rubbish that i’m thinking of ditching it and going back to mapmyride…never had any problems with that app

its running on a samsung galaxy s6 (updated to 6.0.1) and the app itself is up to date
    any hints or tips would be appreciated

martinhutch

Have you tried hitting the back button a few times after you start recording so that the record activity screen is no longer open? It still records in the background and there’s less chance of it turning itself off in your pocket.

STATO
    Free Member

Where is the phone when its recording. Sounds like its losing GPS when you put it in your pocket or bag.

antares
    Free Member

Is the phone set to optimise apps? I had the same problem with an S6 after updating the software.

oldejeans
    Free Member

You need to give it the best chance of finding as many satellites as possible. Where do you keep your phone? Thigh or chest pockets are no good as there will often be a big chunk of you to prevent transmission of the signal. Best spot is high up on a back pack, or in a wrist/shoulder pocket.

retro83
    Free Member

Two things:

1 maybe the aerial is **** on the GPS. I had this happen on my Galaxy Nexus a few years ago after I dropped it. Try recording with another app e.g. endo and see if it has the same issue.

2 maybe the strava app is being ‘dozed’. The OS should handle this automatically but you can override it anyway, see https://www.cnet.com/how-to/stop-specific-apps-from-using-doze-on-android-6-0-marshmallow/

gonzy
    Free Member

Where is the phone when its recording. Sounds like its losing GPS when you put it in your pocket or bag.

it sits in the top pocket of my camelbak mule
    this morning it was mounted on the phone holder in the car (attached to windscreen)
    when i pressed record it went into auto pause as i hadnt moved off yet…so i assumed it would start recording when i did so i hit the the home button but the notification bar on the screen was showing strava as running

1 maybe the aerial is **** on the GPS. I had this happen on my Galaxy Nexus a few years ago after I dropped it.

i dont think this is the case as i use the phone regularly as a sat nav via google maps…but i’ll look into the doze feature you mentioned

gonzy
    Free Member

i should have mentioned that the phone is on O2. one of my friends has the same phone and network and has also had similar problems….the iphone users in our group dont seem to have the same issue…is this app more apple friendly?

gonzy
    Free Member

Is the phone set to optimise apps? I had the same problem with an S6 after updating the software.

i’ve disabled this feature for the app thanks to the link retro83 posted

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t use autonpause for a start. Works fine on my android nexus when I forget my Garmin but could be a battery saver thing

ebennett

Do you have any power saving settings on the phone (rather than the app)? I had a similar problem with an S6 and it was due to having that power saving on.

gonzy
    Free Member

Don’t use autonpause for a start. Works fine on my android nexus when I forget my Garmin but could be a battery saver thing

autopause is now disabled too

gonzy
    Free Member

just went out for a lunchtime run and again it only logged half of the route…FFS 😡

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Are you running any other apps at the same time? I notice my strava routes were off by about 10-15m when I used the music player at the same time. Soon as I stopped it worked properly again. Sony Xperia. I did on previous phones have a battery saver function which stopped the tracker apps running after a period of time. GoogleMaps does also use the mobile network as well as GPS so is not a like for like comparison.

gonzy
    Free Member

it was the only app running at the time. half way through my run i stopped at a cash machine and thats where it stopped recording the run…i stopped for less than a minute
    autopause was disabled so did it assume that i had finished my run?

incidentally when it did actually work last night i had my music player on, facebook was running and so was whatsapp. i also made a few calls too

dont know why its being so hit and miss

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Garmin?

skids
    Free Member

It’s an issue with the device, some phones have more reliable GPS than others

gonzy
    Free Member

Garmin?

going back to mapmyride

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Are you taking any pictures en route? My iphone 4s recorded on Strava perfectly unless I took a picture at which point it usually but not always stopped recording.

Something I guess to do with the camera and Strava both wanting to access the location at the same time.

gonzy
    Free Member

no photos were taken today. on sunday i did take some pictures but my friends also took pictures on their phones yet their strava was still working

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Ever tried installing “GPS Test” app? It might help your device keep a GPS lock in Strava and also hint at any issues at getting a lock in a particular location with say heavy tree cover, for instance.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Mine did this suddenly last ride. It was the power saver setting. Switch that off and it works fine.

greg77
    Free Member

Hi guys, @gonzy – try to install a GPS tracker app and check if the GPX file generated by the app looks OK after uploading to Strava. Not sure if S6 has a battery save mode. If so the disable it (my Sony has and it switches GPS off if the screen of off). Also most smartphones these days are A-GPS (assisted GPS) and get much quicker GPS fix if you have a mobile internet on. Try that as well.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Ive been using Strava for many years and on the same phone (Nexus 5) for about two years. Recently, I had a couple of instances of the ride not recording even though I waited for GPS position before putting phone in top of backpack (aerial upwards) like I always do.
    I’m convinced Strava have introduced a subtle update that’s screwed the autopause or something but it’s not something I can re-create at will (so I may be talking out of my arse)

scotroutes

I had this with power save enabled. It only recorded a point when I switched the screen on to look at progress.

jakd95
    Free Member

In the last few days my Strava has gone to crap too (Huawei P9), accuracy is way off what it normally is and it’s auto pausing and not restarting. I’ve checked everything, power saving etc., and it’s all fine and as it should be but still the app is playing up. Only noticed it in the last couple of days, really very annoying.

Could it be some dodgy update/bug with the app?

jakd95
    Free Member

To add to that the gps on the phone is fine, all working accurately and as it should for other apps (Google maps/sat nav etc), it’s just Strava playing up.

It’s also never had a problem with taking photos at the same time as having strava open or running other apps with gps, so it doesn’t seem to be that.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

It happened to me as well on my S6, never got to the bottom of it, the Specialized mission control app stopped working as well so I just assumed my phone was on it’s way out (after dropping it a few times) so have just upgraded. Must be an S6 thing.

papamountain
    Free Member

Reset A-GPS state, then download fresh A-GPS data. Use “GPS Status & toolbox” app to do it. I had to do this every few weeks on my last phone to maintain good gps. New phone is cool but I still do every now n then.
    + As mentioned, keep your mobile data on.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en_GB

http://lifehacker.com/5873007/how-can-i-fix-my-androids-crappy-gps

jekkyl

Splash out some cash on a dedicated cycling GPS hardware.

gonzy
    Free Member

just realised that the phone has been in power saving mode while its been running. it was in this mode on the only occasion it has worked but i was actively using the phone so the screen never actually locked.
    going to test it again with power saving mode switched off to see if that makes a difference….before i start looking at gps tracker apps

antares
    Free Member

Is the phone set to optimise apps?

maybe the strava app is being ‘dozed’

Do you have any power saving settings on the phone (rather than the app)? I had a similar problem with an S6 and it was due to having that power saving on.

could be a battery saver thing

just realised that the phone has been in power saving mode while its been running 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

going to test it again with power saving mode switched off to see if that makes a difference.

also to see if its me who is the d**k

still doesnt explain who it had me going at 230mph when i was actually standing still

gonzy
    Free Member

it seems to be working so maybe i am a d**k (actually i am a d**k but thats besides the point) 😆

gonzy
    Free Member

so i tested it again this morning with power saving disabled and it seems to be behaving itself
    so thats me being a d**k 😆 and not properly reading the suggestion that power saving was causing he issue…i honestly thought i’d switched that off

but thanks all the same for all the sound advice folks

gonzy
    Free Member

nope….strava shafted me again on Sunday at CVMBC…did the 30 mile route but after just over 18 miles it decided it couldnt be bothered recording any more.
    power save was switched off
    autopause was switched off
    app was set to optimise
    yet it still logged my journey time but not the final 12 miles of the route

markoc1984

It’s probably the latest android update that is causing the problems, my mates phone started playing up with strava after the latest update because of battery saver. The Strava app will need to be updated to stop the issues with the new os.

gonzy
    Free Member

the app is up to date. it was updated after i had the latest android update.
    the battery saver was disabled on sunday.
    the ride took me 4h 57m and strava said i was moving for 4h 50m but it decided not to log the final 12 miles…the map just shows a straight line back to the finish…that missing section included some really fast descents that i wanted to time.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Have you checked the device’s “settings> location” options? Using high accuracy mode and high battery use for Strava?

Tried using an alternative app like Ghostracer free (albeit the £3 Pro is well worth is IMO)? It can automatically sync your ride to Strava.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘my strava is being a d**k…….help’ is closed to new replies.