• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • My slow cooked Shin goulash
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Is still tasting very much of tomato 3hrs in. 6 tbsp of puree along with 2 400g tins of chopped tomatoes are in there along with 2 onions, pot of paprika, 3 peppers, mushrooms, 3 tbsp Worcester sauce, 2 stock cubes, 3/4 bottle of red…
    Do the STW massif think it’ll retain it’s tomato ee flavour or will it lose it as the cooking process progresses…if yes what can I put in towards the end to lose the tomatoee bitterness/ flavour? Bit of ketchup? More stock cubes?

Inbred456
    Free Member

Have you added the sour cream yet. That should take some of the tomato-ey taste away!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

3 hours? Fast food!

I cook shin dishes overnight at least. Then, allow it to cool before reheating to eat for dinner the day after cooking.

Have a taste in the morning, then decide. 🙂

tymbian
    Free Member

Total cooking time was about 7 hrs in the slow cooker..3hrs on high the rest low. The shin was cubed, season floured and sealed in hot oil in a pan before adding to the slow-cooker.
    I hadn’t thought of the cream option but that would of done the trick. As it happens it turned out very nice..definitely restaurant quality..it was lovely and rich..
    My daughter said it was too sweet whereas my wife thought it was spicy..oh well.

CptFH lots left to try tomorrow..I normally use the ‘it’ll taste better tomorrow’ approach on my minced beef dishes..ie bolognese.

jimdubleyou

I thought this was going to be a thread about some sort of festering lower leg injury.

Not sure if I’m disappointed or glad.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Slow cooker is yer mistake, doesn’t really allow flavours and liquid to evaporate IME. standard oven or pot roast does.

riddoch

Did you fry off the purée or just add it with the rest of the tomatoes. I’ve seen a couple of tv chefs recommend frying for a while to change the flavour balance.

tymbian
    Free Member

Yeah..just added it.. I knew I was going to cook on high for longer than I normally would hoping this would have the desired affect..
    I’ll bear it mind next time.

Robz
    Free Member

6 tablespoons of concentrated tomato puree?!?!?

And you’re surprised it tastes excessively of tomatoes?

one tablespoon in a large casserole type stew is plenty… (maybe two at a push) and yes you want to cook off the raw puree as you sauté the onions etc.

DezB
    Free Member

What Robz says!

You’d need to grind in a ton of black pepper to counteract that

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘My slow cooked Shin goulash’ is closed to new replies.