Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • My seat post is drifting down – what do I need?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

A new post or a new clamp or both?

Anybody know what size for a Marin Rift Zone 2011?

Thank you

DS

scaredypants

this is pretty cheap mind, so’s a new clamp (I like salsa ones which are a little bit expensive)

theotherjonv

Carbon paste?

dabble
    Free Member

You might just need to tighten up the clamp. When you release the seat clamp on the other side you should be able to tighten the nut, give it a quarter turn and reclose the clamp, it wants to be stiff to close but not a struggle.

Edit- Sorry if im stating the obvious.

Drac

Always worth dripping down the clamp cleaning and greasing it, they get grit and muck trapped on the threads which stop you getting full strength on the clamp.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Take off the clamp and see how much wiggle the post has in the frame without it. If it’s significant then you might be able to get half a redbull can in there as a shim. It should stop it fretting it’s way downward then.

djglover
    Free Member

less pies?

drofluf
    Free Member

Shorter legs?

IGMC

CheesybeanZ
    steel4real
    Free Member

If you move it up and down a lot then it may be a new post as I’ve known a few people to wear theirs to the point the slip.

But if you keep it in the same position – carbon paste as mentioned above is a winner (it’s got plastic (I think) gritty bits in it).

Also as mentioned take the collar off, clean the screw threads AND also lightly grease the outside top of the seat tube where the collar slidesover to ensure it closes up that little bit (Something I always do although the necessity probably isn’t genuine !) ?

jmason
    Free Member

Tacx !!!

robarnold
    Free Member

djglover – Member
    less pies?

Sorry to be pedantic, but should read FEWER pies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘My seat post is drifting down – what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.