Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • My Seasucker
  • Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

So after much deliberating, I bought a Seasucker from that US of A.

Rather than buy one of their complete racks, I opted for 3 suction cups with ladder straps. Means I can put on one the saddle nose and then one on each of the grips.

Works like a dream. I’ve put the expensive super bike on it (I do own an Audi) and given it a bit of a pasting and it’s not budged. When the cups do loose pressure (which they have never done when i’ve been using it) the pumps white shaft become exposed. So far so good.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Mre brave than me!

emac65
    Free Member

As someone who recently had his bike fly off the back of the boot rack when the webbed strap that was holding it on broke,I would no way trust them.Even if the suction doesn’t give,there’s going to be an awful lot of force pulling on your year window,on such a small contact area too…….

emac65
    Free Member

Double post :mrgreen:

theflatboy
    Free Member

I can see the rationale behind it, but that looks so dodgy… I would have panic attacks every time I went anywhere using that!

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

I was very nervous about using it but it’s perfectly fine!

emac65
    Free Member

Say that when your back window “pops”…

wl
    Free Member

Bonkers. I’d crap myself if I had to go round a corner, if it rained, if I had to do an emergency stop, on the motorway, in high winds, stuck in traffic in a dodgy urban area…Good luck tho.

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

I don’t use it on the motorway. It only get used when coming back from local rides when the bike is muddy

pictonroad

just couldn’t do it…

We use vacuum lifters on projects, lifting up to 21 tonnes but my bike is more important..

emac65
    Free Member

I think it would be better if you turned the bike around & had the two suction cups on the window.At least then you would be spreading the force of the drag off the bike across the window instead of it all being in one place..

emac65
    Free Member

Like how this fella’s done it here(bottom pics,page 1)

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

How much?

martinhutch

I was expecting it to at least be cheaper than a towbar rack.

brakes
    Free Member

the pumps white shaft become exposed

absolute filth!

brakes
    Free Member

I like the idea of these A LOT! I don’t own a car but do hire them fairly often, but not so much that I want to buy a rack and have to store it.
    Are they certified in any way?

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

Not certified over here yet. They seem to do pretty well in the US though.
    My problem was a towbar for my car was £700. This came in at around £200 and it will fit any car.
    I only use it for short journeys if the bike is too muddy for inside the car.

miketually
    Free Member

I only use it for short journeys if the bike is too muddy for inside the car.

I use my bike for those 😉

shifter
    Free Member

They look fantastic. Might get a set, for my mate’s bike 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

I’d never buy those…the temptation to do a Spiderman up the side of an office building when I’m drunk would be just too great. 🙂

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

Now there’s an idea!

mrmoofo

What is the paint work like under the cups ?

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

Fine, that’s another reason why I have it. I’m super retarded about my car. A normal rack would mark the paint work big time and the seasucker doesn’t.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Fine, that’s another reason why I have it. I’m super retarded about my car. A normal rack would mark the paint work big time and the seasucker doesn’t hasn’t yet.

FTFY

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

glupton1976 – Member
    Fine, that’s another reason why I have it. I’m super retarded about my car. A normal rack would mark the paint work big time and the seasucker doesn’t hasn’t yet.
    FTFY

POSTED 18 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

yeah, one tiny little bit of the wrong kind of dust is all it’s gonna take.

I’d be tempted by them on the next car though .. if existing roof rack needs too much modification, just because of the efficient application.

TooTall
    Free Member

Potential problems will come from the car, not the suckers. Whilst the suckers mught be strong enough, car skins are not designed well for point loads. Some of the examples on that link have bikes on the roof of cars. I’d not want to put a point load like that on a roof panel.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘My Seasucker’ is closed to new replies.